• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gumbs
    • Jul 2015
    • Brisbane

Fitting LS/XLS electric seat to base model challenger

I've managed to pickup a set of low km (60k) leather electric seats out of a PC LS for a decent price ($700 including the leather centre console lid).

Has anyone retrofitted a set before? Or had to investigate the wiring on a challenger with electric seats?

There isn't any spare cabling in place for them but there is a 40A fuse in place in the interior fuse panel for them. I'm hoping someone might be able to steer me in the direction of the connector for these and the connector it uses?

Alternatively I'm considering running a feed directly from the battery but I'm running out of space in the grommet from the engine bay and this area is already becoming a mess of Fuses and CBs.
  • gumbs
    • Jul 2015
    • Brisbane

Well looks like I'm the first to try this. So I figure its worthwhile adding all the information I found out.

wiring diagrams can be found here.

Annoyingly I couldn't find anything to match plug numbers to the plug. So I pulled the fuse and started belling out wires with the multimeter in 4 pin plugs. Its connected to the pin that I've put the big red wire into in the picture below.

The wiring diagram shows a second circuit for the passenger seat, but I'm just going to daisy chain the two together to make life easier.

The circuit is fused at 40A, which seems excessive, so it needs 4mm2 or 12 AWG wire. I didn't have any 4mm2 but I did have some 12awg 2 core which I split.

A 4.8mm female spade bit fits the terminal in the fuse block nicely, so I melted the insulation off one of them and mounted into it into the plug. Ideally you'd use a terminal with a prong on it to hold it in the switch, but I didn't have one and after 30 minutes of searching the internet, I've given up and I'm hoping the friction on the 12awg cable in the plug will hold it in place.

Next up out comes the front seats, center console and drivers side trim. The power cable is routed through and then spliced and ran up past the handbrake and down to the passenger side. Independent earth connections for each seat are connected to the earth points which are conveniently located at the front of each seat.

While the center console is out I've swapped the lid with the new leather bound one to match the seats. Then reinstalled the center console.

Now to connect the seats. I could have tried to find the correct plug, or hacked the whole thing off and replaced with something more readily available. But on a quick check two standard blue sheathed 6.3mm female spade terminals fit into the plug on the seat. I'll see how they go and if it gives me trouble long term I'll replace the whole assembly with a deutsch plug. But for now its working.

It would have been a lot easier if Mister Bishi had decided to just run the wires in all models (which they may well do in a PB as they have slightly different wiring harnesses). But its in, and it uses the stock fuse keeping the whole setup neat and tidy.

Now does anyone want a set of low km PC challenger cloth seats?
    Attached Files

Comment

• DID Dash
      • Aug 2016
      • Australia

Nice job, were you keen on the leather or the height adjustment or both? I found the cloth seats more comfortable than the leather seats in the PB Challenger, but would have liked the height adjustment available on the leather ones.
      17MY Pajero Sport, Factory Towbar, King Springs KCRS-23/Pedders 5899 Cones, 265/70R17 A/T's for the rough trips.

Comment

• gumbs
        • Jul 2015
        • Brisbane

Originally posted by DID Dash View Post
        Nice job, were you keen on the leather or the height adjustment or both? I found the cloth seats more comfortable than the leather seats in the PB Challenger, but would have liked the height adjustment available on the leather ones.
        Both, but more so the height adjustment and electric adjustment. I find being able to continually tweak the seat angle by small amounts helps a lot with comfort on long drives. The stock cloth seat is also setup at the wrong angle (funnily enough the leather seats won't even go to that angle).

I also like the cleanliness factor of leather as I have you kids. I couldn't justify the $6k price hike for the LS. But $700 plus $50 in parts was well worth it.

Comment

• DID Dash
          • Aug 2016
          • Australia

Yep, agree the cloth seats could have been better positioned. Plenty have fixed the issue with seat spacers, but power seat does the trick too.
          17MY Pajero Sport, Factory Towbar, King Springs KCRS-23/Pedders 5899 Cones, 265/70R17 A/T's for the rough trips.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
          Working...
          X