• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BruceandBobbi
    Valued Member
    • Aug 2016
    • Greater Sydney

Batteries again.

Almost 13 years to the month and since purchasing the Pajero we are on our 6th starting battery.

The last two were Yashica from Battery World. First one shat itself just outside warranty. Bit of a shat fight but it was replaced free. Replacement did the same. Couldn't be bothered having another shat fight so looked around for a new one.

Looked at the made in Australia yellow Century, friggen expensive $339 for a 810 CCA. and only come with 24 months warranty. Checked Autobarn online found Supercharge 810CCA other specs and weight almost identical with 3 year warranty $249 fitted.

If it dies in 2 to 3 years hopefully a replacement won't mean a dog fight.

BTW. The black Century batteries are made in South Korea.
    Last edited by BruceandBobbi; 15-04-20, 12:51 PM.
  • Pushbike
    • Jun 2017
    • Sydney

Many years ago, when Century Batteries were located at Mascot NSW I spoke to one of there tech. guys. He said that batteries are designed to last 4 yrs but will be less if abused. He also said that the most common failure was the first link from the terminal post to the first cell. He said this failure was due to rigid cable connections to the post e.g.starter cable and the movement of the cable "lever" due to vibration. This fractured the link.
    He claimed, at that time, that Century built their batteries with thicker links.
    Since then I have always preferred Century (yellow/blue)
    and they have usually lasted the four years, almost like a clock.
    So check how much you have hanging off the terminal posts.
    Pajero NX GLX MY17, OEM Rubber mats, OEM Towbar and tongue, After market Rev. Sensors, MSA4x4 seat covers, OEM nudge bar.

Remember the science demonstration of a table covered with mouse traps loaded with ping pong balls and the teacher drops a ping pong ball into the middle.
    Well, the ball has been dropped.

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
      Valued Member
      • Aug 2016
      • Greater Sydney

I've never owned a Century battery, Needed to buy a start battery as the one in the Pajero was only holding 12.3 and dropped under 9 on start.

I was chasing a 810CCA but no way was I paying $339 with a 2 year warranty.

Century also had a yellow 720CCA hi performance 4WD battery, N70ZZL for $249.99 with 12 months warranty, Not good enough.

Comment

• craka
        Valued Member
        • Jun 2009
        • Newcastle (Newie)

I had a good run with a supercharge battery in my old gen2 pajero when I had it, lasted at least 4 years.

The NS when I had I bought it second hand had from memory a NRMA branded battery , lasted about 18months after purchase no Idea when it was installed though. Replaced it with a Century battery and it lasted 2years and a bit; about 2months out of warranty.

Replaced it with a Supercharge battery sometime back will see how it goes.
        NS SWB X 3.2DiD - Factory locker, Hella spotties, GME UHF, 2" lift

Retired: 1991 NH SWB 3.0L V6 5sp Manual, Mickey Thompson ATZs, GME UHF TX3200.

Comment

• Dicko1
          Valued Member
          • Dec 2014
          • Cairns, FNQ

My large century is starting to lose voltage quicker than usual. Been working on the rear tub installing lthium set up and have noticed that the satrt battery is showing low on mu bluetooth monitor. Starts ok but gets down to 12.3 for no real reason. Did a load test and it came back as all ok.
          Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• dhula
            Valued Member
            • Sep 2012
            • South of Perth

I've had good luck with some batteries and bad luck with others.

The best run on battereis was in our Prado.
            The stock OEM start battery lasted about 6-7 years before being replaced by a Delkor battery which was about 4 years old and still going strong when we sold the Prado. The Aux battery was also a Delkor (DC31 IIRC) which was over 10 years old at time of selling. It wasn't lasting as long as when it was new but showed a good 13v when fully charged after a long drive and rested for a few days.

Other batteries I've had good service life with are;
            4WD Overlander made by Century. Had 2 in the Patrol way back in 96 or 7 when they pretty much first came out (the battery, not the Patrol)
            Caterpillar. Had one of these that lasted 6 odd years and was in the Defender as an aux, the 2nd Defender as an aux and then the 80s cruiser as a start.

Currently running an Amaron start and Century Marine Pro as an Aux and have had a pretty good run so far with both. Time will tell how long they last, 2ish years on the Amaron and about 16 months on the Marine Pro so far so hoping for much more time with them yet.
            2010 NT Activ, DiD+lazy shift. Bushskins+Boo's, Kings springs+Monroe shocks+Firestone Airbags, MM towbar, MM nudgebar.
            2006 KJ Cherokee, CRD+lazy shift. Ironman springs and OME shocks, MoPar skids.

Comment

• littleriver
              Valued Member
              • Jan 2013
              • Queensland

Exide

2012 PB Challenger LS (Manual) Safari Snorkel, OZtec shocks front & rear with King Springs (lift 2 inch) , 22 inch light bar on ECB Nudge bar, roof racks & basket, Bridgestone Duelers 697 LT A/T (116S), Uniden Dash cam, Oricom 2 way radio 80 channel, Ipod connected via glove box usb, Waeco cf50, Garmin gps (with topo), Opticoat + paint protection, Nilrust proofing, Roosystems Ecu Remap

Comment

• Dicko1
                Valued Member
                • Dec 2014
                • Cairns, FNQ

Have you used the Exide mate?
                Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• littleriver
                  Valued Member
                  • Jan 2013
                  • Queensland

Originally posted by Dicko1 View Post
                  Have you used the Exide mate?
                  Yes and impressed with the 95ah for running our fridge/freezer ...

Currently our exide extreme XN70ZZLMF is 4 yrs old hasn’t missed a beat.

Looks like Beaurepairs is also selling them ...

Car battery in need of changing? or having trouble finding the right car battery drop into a Beaurepaires store or shop online our range of exide batteries.

Last edited by littleriver; 17-04-20, 01:09 PM.
                  2012 PB Challenger LS (Manual) Safari Snorkel, OZtec shocks front & rear with King Springs (lift 2 inch) , 22 inch light bar on ECB Nudge bar, roof racks & basket, Bridgestone Duelers 697 LT A/T (116S), Uniden Dash cam, Oricom 2 way radio 80 channel, Ipod connected via glove box usb, Waeco cf50, Garmin gps (with topo), Opticoat + paint protection, Nilrust proofing, Roosystems Ecu Remap

Comment

• 11T.Co
                    • Oct 2013
                    • Brisbane

I found out after a number of battery failures that "maintenance free" means little because they still need to be topped up with water when the level drops. It's a pain to do it but it can increase your battery life.

Comment

• disco stu
                      Valued Member
                      • Dec 2018
                      • Wollongong

Maintenance free just means more difficult/unable to maintain in my experience

Comment

• dhula
                        Valued Member
                        • Sep 2012
                        • South of Perth

IMO maintenance free means 2 things and both are in favor of the battery makers
                        1. less cost for them to produce the battery
                        2. Less life out of the battery meaning you need to buy another one, probably earlier than you would have if it was a maintenance type and you maintained it properly
                        2010 NT Activ, DiD+lazy shift. Bushskins+Boo's, Kings springs+Monroe shocks+Firestone Airbags, MM towbar, MM nudgebar.
                        2006 KJ Cherokee, CRD+lazy shift. Ironman springs and OME shocks, MoPar skids.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X