• Show
Clear All
  • Herman4x4
    Valued Member
    • Oct 2009
    • Melton, Victoria

Dual battery advice

Hello,
    Im looking at setting up my dual battery in the NS.
    I have taken the isolator out of my NP, a Projecta 150 amp, as well as the ARB battery tray. But i am now thinking of mounting the battery in the third row seat well.
    I have bought 8 b&s cable as i was going to run this to the back for the fridge and a merit plug running off a fuse block.
    But now as i am thinking about putting the battery in tree back, would that cable be big enough?
    Thanks,
    Andrew.

Sent from my CPH1611 using Tapatalk
    Cheers,
    Andrew.

2008 NS Diesel Auto - stock as a rock. Planning Tow bar, dual battery system, cargo barrier, bullbar, winch, lights, roof rack and suspension.
    Jayco Starcraft 17.58-3.
  • sharkcaver
    "2000"+ Valued Contributor
    • May 2009
    • Perth

Originally posted by Herman4x4 View Post
    Hello,
    Im looking at setting up my dual battery in the NS.
    I have taken the isolator out of my NP, a Projecta 150 amp, as well as the ARB battery tray. But i am now thinking of mounting the battery in the third row seat well.
    I have bought 8 b&s cable as i was going to run this to the back for the fridge and a merit plug running off a fuse block.
    But now as i am thinking about putting the battery in tree back, would that cable be big enough?
    Thanks,
    Andrew.

I used 8B+S to the rear distribution point in my gen 3. It was fine. The battery was under bonnet though with a VSR.

I run 6b+S to a dcdc and a battery in the rear of the NX and that is fine too.

There is not much difference between 6 and 8 ga. If using a dcdc, I reckon 8ga will be ok, but not if using a VSR.

Just my opinion.....
    MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• Herman4x4
      Valued Member
      • Oct 2009
      • Melton, Victoria

That's for the reply. Might get some bigger cable. But i did see in the bargins thread sparesbox is having a sale...... Maybe a dc to dc instead.
      Cheees,
      Andrew

Cheers,
      Andrew.

2008 NS Diesel Auto - stock as a rock. Planning Tow bar, dual battery system, cargo barrier, bullbar, winch, lights, roof rack and suspension.
      Jayco Starcraft 17.58-3.

Comment

• Herman4x4
        Valued Member
        • Oct 2009
        • Melton, Victoria

Looking at one of these now.

Thanks,
        Andrew

Cheers,
        Andrew.

Jayco Starcraft 17.58-3.

Comment

• Dicko1
          Valued Member
          • Dec 2014
          • Cairns, FNQ

I run 6 B&S ALL THE WAY FROM STARTER TO CAMPER VIA THE THIRD ROW SEATS AND HAVE 2 X DCDC CHARGERS( ONE IN TUB AND ONE IN CAMPER)...ALL WORK WELL. i HAVE A pROJECTA 25AMP DCDC CHARGER i DONT USE...YOU CAN HAVE IT FOR 100 DOLLARS PLUS POSTAGE....Lot better than the Thunder. It also has a built in MPPT solar regulator.
          Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• Mundy55
            Valued Member
            • Nov 2015
            • Gold Coast

I think you'll find the 8 B&S to be quite sufficient. I have the 2nd battery under the bonnet but the Intervolt controller in the rear seat well. this means I have two 8 B&S cables running between engine bay and rear seat well. (I know everyone will say this is stupid but it works for me). Anyway, the system works perfectly with no appreciable voltage drop. The controller in the rear means its out of the heat of the engine bay. The battery under the bonnet means I can fit my 40L water tank in the rear seat well.

Comment

• Jasonmc73
              Valued Member
              • Jun 2019
              • Brisbane

This chap has some quite good info,

Voltage Sensitive Relay, VSR, Dual Battery Systems, Redarc smart start, Enerdrive VSR, battery isolator, 12 volt, deep cycle battery, gel battery, AGM battery, dual battery, DC-DC

I run 8 B&S for a fridge & my camper has Redarc BCDC1240 (40Amp charger), I run 4B&S for that with 120AMP Anderson plug.

6B&S would be fine for less amperage say 25amps.

Cannot be underestimated how joints & fusing is approached in my opinion. For me it's Mechanical crimp & solder with glue lined heat shrink & bolt down Midi fuses where applicable.
              Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

• Herman4x4
                Valued Member
                • Oct 2009
                • Melton, Victoria

Originally posted by Dicko1 View Post
                I run 6 B&S ALL THE WAY FROM STARTER TO CAMPER VIA THE THIRD ROW SEATS AND HAVE 2 X DCDC CHARGERS( ONE IN TUB AND ONE IN CAMPER)...ALL WORK WELL. i HAVE A pROJECTA 25AMP DCDC CHARGER i DONT USE...YOU CAN HAVE IT FOR 100 DOLLARS PLUS POSTAGE....Lot better than the Thunder. It also has a built in MPPT solar regulator.
                Thanjs Dicko. What would postage to Kurunjang 3337 be?
                Cheers,
                Andrew.

Cheers,
                Andrew.

Jayco Starcraft 17.58-3.

Comment

• Dicko1
                  Valued Member
                  • Dec 2014
                  • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by Herman4x4 View Post
                  Thanjs Dicko. What would postage to Kurunjang 3337 be?
                  Cheers,
                  Andrew.

Unsure. I will post it for $120 and include 2 x 50 amp genuine anderson pluigs as well ..for your wiring. You may not need the plugs but use them elsewhere.
                  Let me know asap as someone else is keen on the unit.
                  Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• Herman4x4
                    Valued Member
                    • Oct 2009
                    • Melton, Victoria

Im keen. I'll send you a pm.

Cheers,
                    Andrew.

Jayco Starcraft 17.58-3.

Comment

• disco stu
                      Valued Member
                      • Dec 2018
                      • Wollongong

What is b&s cable sizing? First time I've heard of it and I'm not new cable sizing etc. It seems to be close to gauge, but I'm not sure

Comment

• Kingbrown
                        Valued Member
                        • Apr 2012
                        • Port Augusta - SA

AWG is same as B&S and is referenced in vehicular applications.
                        'Real' electrical people use metric (mm2).

Cable Size Metric and AWG_B&S.docx
                        2012 PB Challenger LS Manual

Comment

• nj swb
                          Resident
                          • Jun 2007
                          • Adelaide

As others have pointed out, Brown & Sharpe (B&S) and American Wire Gauge (AWG) are the same, and often just referred to as "gauge". I like Wikipedia's page on the subject: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_wire_gauge

Although I'm not a big fan of "gauge" sizing I prefer it when discussing automotive application, as too many sources sell "automotive" cable with a "mm" sizing that isn't the mm squared sizing that the Australian electrical industry generally uses. When automotive forums start discussing "mm" sizes of cables it can be difficult to tell if they're talking copper area or cable overall diameter (which I think is an absolutely useless measure of a cable's size). Talking "gauge" removes that potential source of confusion.

Also note that "ampacity" ratings, as included in Kingbrown's table, list different insulator temperature ratings - but these ratings are for a defined ambient temperature. If wiring in the engine compartment, consider the ambient temperature to which the wiring may be exposed - if the wire will experience a 60 degree ambient then a 60 degree rated insulation isn't good enough for load carrying applications.

Personally, when recently re-wiring my 20 A Redarc, I used 8 ga for most of the wiring, protected by 40 A fuses where I thought necessary. For a 40 A Redarc, I wouldn't go below 6 ga - Jason's 4 ga is a good choice.
                          NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Jasonmc73
                            Valued Member
                            • Jun 2019
                            • Brisbane

"Amp" rating is not very useful,
                            Example, you won't run 50 amp down a 50 amp rated auto wire, more likely it will melt, safe working load, not what its meant to carry.
                            The mm in auto wire is completly useless,
                            A lot of the time thats including the insulation & misleading as NJ SWB points out.

There is a huge difference between 8,6 & 4 B&S as far as the amount of copper & as the chart below link shows as NJ SWB points out amps that's rated at 30 degrees, link shows the derate factor & twin core is different again, down rated.

V90 PVC INSULATED & SHEATHED Applications: Battery and Starter Cable Conductor: OXYGEN FREE Plain Copper Wire to AS/NZS 1125 Insulation: V90 PVC to AS/NZS 3808 Sheath°Colours: Red or Black Packs: 30, 100 metres - other packs by request

I also like looking at it like a garden hose, the longer the hose the bigger the hose needs to be to get the same volume out the other end.
                            Same goes for 12 volt wiring

A big wire can carry a fine amount of amperage so fuse it well & no good having nice cables & not taking the time to join terminate etc properly & use decent fuse types.
                            For heavy amperage I like bolt down Midi type fuses.

My opinion only is soldered joints alone prone to crack off, but soldered & mechanical hydraulic crimp with good length of glue lined heat shrink tube gives me less chance of ever having to find a busted wire or corroded joint.
                            Many say proper quality heavy duty hydraulically crimped fitting is best with glue lined heat shrink I can understand that as well, theory being soldering makes it brittle.

Hydraulic crimper only around $50 on EBAY work really well for my application as long as you don't over stroke the cylinder, you'll pop the seals.
                            The 10 Tonne one I have even came with spare seals, haven't had to use them yet.

Do it rite the 1st time & your done. I hate dodgy wires
                            Last edited by Jasonmc73; 01-02-20, 01:09 PM.
                            Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

• nj swb
                              Resident
                              • Jun 2007
                              • Adelaide

Basically I agree with everything Jasonmc wrote, but need to comment on this:

Originally posted by Jasonmc73 View Post
                              ... soldered & ... crimp
                              If you're going to do both, crimp first then solder.

The crimp systems we're discussing are designed to crimp onto stranded conductors that move and deform during crimping, but once the cable is soldered it effectively becomes a single strand - the move and deform process can no longer happen, the crimp can't form as intended, and the mechanical grip will work loose over time.

Crimp first, then solder.

If worried about the copper becoming brittle, support the next centimetre or so of the cable - quality heatshrink will help, glue lined even better.

How many soldered connections do automotive manufacturers use in our cars? When done properly, crimping alone is fine. But automotive manufacturers spend millions to ensure they are crimping properly - so I often crimp and solder.
                              NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X