• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 09VRXDiD
    • Jan 2014
    • Beaumont Hills

KYB Skorched 4s - Gen 4 & Gen 3 Pajero?

Looking at replacing the shocks all round on my NT Paj but not keen on paying the $1k for a set of Bilsteins...
    I've been recommended KYB Skorched 4's or Lovell S3. Any users of these that can comment?
    My big assumption is that they are much better than standard, but I guess what I'd like to know is what the difference between these and a $1k set of Bilsteins would be?
    Looking forward to hearing all the comments bombard in
  • my.paj
    • Dec 2010
    • Tullamarine

I'm about to put the kyb skorched 4 in a Colorado and wile I have not used them yet there standard one's are great, not a fan of the lovells shocks they just dont last.
    Old, NP Exceed 3.5 petrol, ARB Bull bar, Warn winch, Bush Skinz Bash plates ,2inch lift, Safari Snorkel. ***Now Sold***
    New, RG Colorado Dual Cab Tray

Comment

• ReefMaster
      • Aug 2015
      • Tarneit VIC

I have never used Bilstein but went the Koni Raids from Bushskinz . They are pricier than the Bilsteins .

Bilsteins are widely used by many Pajero owners - and if you shop around , you can get them at a great price .

From experience KYB gives a really plush soft ride with the original springs on the road . When the vehicle was laden with weight , not very good off road and corrugated roads would send harshness and rattle the Pajero NT and work the bump stops often.

Don' t forget your springs too - when my Pajero was 4.5 years old (65000klm) - the original springs sagged and the Original KYB shocks were worn too .
      2010 NT Pajero Exceed

Koni Raid 90 series Lovells HD/ Koni Raid 88 Kings KCRR-35HDSP. Front & Rear ARB diff lockers/18inch CSA Jackals on Atturo Trail Blade MT 275/65/18. Full Bushkinz/SAFARI snorkel/ARB Deluxe Bar & Runva 11XP/GME TX4500S/
      Piranha Dual Battery system /UL80-VO AGM battery/ Gista 160W Solar Panel/36 inch 480W LED Light bar/Kings Awning and Awning tent/9inch 185W Led/ LRA tank
      Wants: a roof tent/ exhaust/drawers

Comment

• SpanishForWhat?
        • Mar 2016
        • Perth

I was going to suggest that there are some barely used Bilstein shocks in the classifieds section, but then I checked the thread!

I wouldn't assume a KYB shock absorber is going to be "much better than standard".

A KYB is just another fairly run-of-the-mill twin tube shock - KYB were making the OE shocks for a lot of Toyota's 4WDs at one point - don't know if it's still the case.

Outside of the custom offerings, Bilstein and Koni are among the only companies conducting full R+D (including road-testing) on every part number they develop.

The Bilstein B6 shocks are unique because they are a monotube shock - they will transform the handling of your car.
        I found they kept the Pajero surprisingly flat in corners, and incredibly well-composed under hard braking.
        Part of Bilstein's road-testing includes lapping the Nürburgring - so you can imagine how precisely the Pajero handles when fitted with them.
        '11 NT GL

Service Manual for Gen 4 Pajero

Comment

• Jimbo2
          Valued Member
          • Dec 2012
          • Bendigo

Suggest that before making a decision that you talk to the people at Ultimate suspension. They make their own and, they can set up a set of shocks that are customised for your your situation at a reasonable cost.
          2013 NW GLX-R Factory Locker, TC mod,Dual Battery, 240V inverter, Anderson Plug, Fire Extinguisher. GME TX3500 UHF Radio, MM Alloy Bar, ORU 12000lb Winch,EGR mod, Fancy wheels, 33" Pirelli ATR Tyres, LRA Aux tank, Custom bash plates & Rock sliders, Ultra Gauge, ARB Compressor, LED Light bar, little mods around the cabin. Kings Std Ratecoils & Ultimate Shocks, Firestone HP airbags, Airteck Snorkel, Hema 6. Towing: Starcraft outback

Comment

• Paj man
            Valued Member
            • Mar 2010
            • Perth

Originally posted by my.paj View Post
            , not a fan of the lovells shocks they just dont last.
            ^This!
            1997 NK - Quad cam goodness turning 33 Duratrac's and 4.9 diffs, 2inch lift, steel front/sides/rear, front locker and a winch

Now pending: Nothing

Comment

• sharkcaver
              "2000"+ Valued Contributor
              • May 2009
              • Perth

Originally posted by SpanishForWhat? View Post
              Part of Bilstein's road-testing includes lapping the Nürburgring - so you can imagine how precisely the Pajero handles when fitted with them.
              Which is a fat lot of good for a paj on the corrugations. Just saying like (and I've had billies for some time). When they test them both at Nürburgring and Mt Dare, then you have an unassailable argument.
              MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• old Jack
                Regular
                • Jun 2011
                • Adelaide, South Australia.

How well a shocker performs (or not) is greatly influenced by the coil spring, unsprung weight, tyre pressures, vehicle weight, roads surface and vehicle speed. There is not a "perfect one size fits all " solution that most people are looking for.

cheers, OJ.
                2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• SpanishForWhat?
                  • Mar 2016
                  • Perth

Originally posted by sharkcaver View Post
                  Which is a fat lot of good for a paj on the corrugations. Just saying like (and I've had billies for some time). When they test them both at Nürburgring and Mt Dare, then you have an unassailable argument.
                  I'm inclined to agree, which is why I did not mention off-road performance. I did not have the opportunity to evaluate how the Bilsteins were off-road.

Everyone's application is different - some Pajeros will see mostly off-road or outback travel, while some will mostly stick to the black-top.

I was only sharing what I observed when I had Bilsteins fitted.
                  '11 NT GL

Service Manual for Gen 4 Pajero

Comment

• rammypluge
                    • May 2016
                    • AU

The Pajero is fitted with KYB shocks as standard.

You can buy standard KYB replacements, which will probably be identical to the original shocks.

Alternatively, the Skorched4 are a physically larger shock and have firmer damping. So they would be substantially more suitable for Mt Dare.

I have been to Mt Dare and know just what you mean.

Comment

• sharkcaver
                      "2000"+ Valued Contributor
                      • May 2009
                      • Perth

Originally posted by SpanishForWhat? View Post
                      I'm inclined to agree, which is why I did not mention off-road performance. I did not have the opportunity to evaluate how the Bilsteins were off-road.

Everyone's application is different - some Pajeros will see mostly off-road or outback travel, while some will mostly stick to the black-top.

I was only sharing what I observed when I had Bilsteins fitted.
                      Yeah, that's cool. But it is a 4wd, so you have to understand the corrugated road statement. I've used my Billies well and they have stood the test of time. Some others have not been so lucky and I came close once myself. So this time around I have gone for an even more expensive option. They better live up to expectation.
                      MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• Danic
                        • Feb 2015
                        • Perth

Have you replaced the shocks? Does anyone else have any other input into shocks?

Looking at replacing mine in my NT, and looking at HUB scorched 4/king coil combo.

Any thoughts?

Comment

• richaviator
                          Banned
                          • Sep 2015
                          • Perth

KYB Skorched 4 and Lovells

I put KYB Skorched 4 on all 4 corners with Lovells HD front and Lovells Medium in Rear (I have a GL, with no accessories in the back......except the 2 child seats )
                          Had the new suspension for 1 week.

So far, absolutely amazing. not harsh at all. Actually, I am surprised it isn't stiffer all round, I came from a fully stock suspension with 88,000kms on it, drooped front springs, and it feels more comfortable, no fidgeting, and quieter too, which I am very surprised at.

The 2' lift makes an incredible difference too.

Time will tell how they go, I am in WA, and do occasional dirt tracks, and beaches, maybe 20% dirt and 80% bitumen. Still worth every penny for the gear.

$1620 fitted - the lot with 4 x wheel alignment.

Comment

• Purdy
                            • Oct 2015
                            • Mullumbimby

I went the Lovell (SD all round as I am using travelling empty) and Skorched 4 option. Got the 2 inch lift I wanted and a less harsh ride to boot.
                            Happy with the skorched 4 shocks. They are a bigger KYB shock than standard. I do a little 4WDing but nothing to crazy so perfect option for me.
                            2016 Pajero Sport Exceed. Snorkel & under-body protection plates

Comment

• Danic
                              • Feb 2015
                              • Perth

Sounds like the decision has been made for me. Skorched 4's it is!

Now, to convince the missus.....

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X