• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mundy55
    Valued Member
    • Nov 2015
    • Gold Coast

Reasonable tyre balance weights?

Having decided on the tyre brand and type (see low noise A/T thread), the question is now what is a reasonable condition to put on the supplier regarding tyre balance weights for an LT tyre.

My thoughts were no more than 60g per rim and 100g total but is this reasonable? There a lots of war stories about the difficulty of getting some brands properly balanced. I don't want a tyre that whose manufacture has been off a bit such that it needs large balance weights.

Any thoughts or experience?
  • spot01
    Valued Member
    • Apr 2011
    • Adelaide

You might be hard pressed to get them to agree to those low limits. Remember the wheel may also contribute.

A good tyre fitter will position the tyre correctly on the rim with the red dot next to the valve (this is why the manufacturer puts the dot on the tyre). This should provide the best balance straight up. If it doesn't, a good tyre fitter will then rotate the tyre around the rim, repeating if necessary until the best balance is found.
    Unfortunately, most tyres I see don't have the red dot lined up to the valve (even some factory fitted tyres on new cars), so either the fitter has had to rotate it or the fitter doesn't care (or is untrained or ignorant).

I always try to have a discussion with the actual fitter before they fit my tyres - it is worthwhile.
    Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• Mundy55
      Valued Member
      • Nov 2015
      • Gold Coast

I've delayed long enough and now must get the tyres changed.

Has anyone got a view on balance weights or can advise what they've recently experienced?

Comment

• nj swb
        Resident
        • Jun 2007
        • Adelaide

For reasons I can't really justify, I think 20 - 50g weights would be reasonable.

FWIW, when the second gen Cooper STT was released in Australia I ordered a set for Shorty. They were in high demand, and I only received a set because somebody working at the importer set some aside for me - it's not what you know, it's who you know.

When the day came to fit up the set (of 5) the tyre dealer sent one back because he wasn't happy with the amount of weight required to balance it. From memory, the best he could do was about 100g, and he didn't think that was acceptable - even for a 285/75R16 "muddy".

So I christened four STTs on a trip to Fraser - with a Wrangler MT/R on the rear door.
        NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• DibbyDibbyDJ
          Valued Member
          • Sep 2019
          • Victoria

In Vic, more than 85g per wheel is unroadworthy. I have seen some with much more than this. Bad fitting is main reason although some cheaper brands are a struggle. That’s where a good fitter will go the extra mile to ensure compliance. But I do believe a lot of tyre fitters either don’t know about limits or just want to get the job done?
          2024 Outlander

Diamond Technician at Main Dealer

mitsubishi-forums

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
          Working...
          X