• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • signo1985
    • Sep 2017
    • Perth

Originally posted by Two Emms View Post
    The compressors we used to drive nail guns always had female fittings and stored the pressure from one day to the next with no ill effects.
    I guess a properly constructed pressure vessel and piping is not as fragile as a rubber/vinyl/plastic hose.

Personally I would have no issue with having a female fitting on the compressor.

I will say however that this is based on my usage of larger compressors and the little fellas we use for our tyres may not like being used to store pressure.

While the hose is still connected you could let the pressure off a bit, if you were concerned.
    I see what you mean.
    it might be the only way. for the time being i can still the compressor with the original inflator....didnt expect the arb one to become a pain more than anything lol

Comment

• Kingbrown
      Valued Member
      • Apr 2012
      • Port Augusta - SA

The OP's description of his problem points to the fact that there's a male fitting at the compressor.

So why is there a male there rather than a female ?

The only reason I can think of is that the compressor needs to flow freely, because there's nothing provided to switch off the compressor automatically when pressure reaches a limit.

An automatic system with a receiver would have to have a female (sealing) fitting in order to store air when a hose or downstream tool isn't connected.
      2012 PB Challenger LS Manual

Comment

• Two Emms
        Valued Member
        • Jan 2020
        • Mansfield, Vic

Originally posted by Kingbrown View Post
        The OP's description of his problem points to the fact that there's a male fitting at the compressor.

So why is there a male there rather than a female ?

The only reason I can think of is that the compressor needs to flow freely, because there's nothing provided to switch off the compressor automatically when pressure reaches a limit.

An automatic system with a receiver would have to have a female (sealing) fitting in order to store air when a hose or downstream tool isn't connected.
        You have nailed it Kingbrown

All my previous advice related to compressors with auto cut off and attached tanks.Whoops. Completely different animal to the simple compressor that just pumps as long as power is connected and holds no reserve.

Just looked at my 12v compressor, yep male fitting.
        2016 NX GLS Factory alloy bar, Provent 200 catch can, Boos bash plates (full set), Stedi light bar, 40 litre Waeco, Titan fridge slide, Kings springs, Toyo Open Country AT3s, Auto-mate, Ultragauge, Uniden 8080s, Tanami x11, more to come...

Comment

• signo1985
          • Sep 2017
          • Perth

Well there are quite a few compressor with a male connector, but some similar ones still have have the female one (the arb is one of them. Yes it does cost 3 times the price, but it remains a small compressor)

I mean....there has to be a way to use inflators and other tools that normally have male couplings.....

Anyway, without modifying anything, i came up with the following idea: get a female and get a male coupling, join them, and use the combo as a connector for the inflator.
          At least this is a non permanent solution

Comment

• nj swb
            Resident
            • Jun 2007
            • Adelaide

Originally posted by signo1985 View Post
            Well there are quite a few compressor with a male connector, but some similar ones still have have the female one (the arb is one of them. Yes it does cost 3 times the price, but it remains a small compressor)
            ARB's website list that all their compressors come with a pressure cut-out switch.

Don't judge a compressor by its size, judge it by its performance - actual performance, not claimed. My little ARB compressor, tucked away under my passenger's seat, inflates tyres at a rate that is quite competitive against some much larger (and much cheaper) alternatives.

A number of years ago my job required me to research small industrial compressors for a product we were developing. I developed my own idea of the design / features we wanted for our product, and we began negotiating with suppliers. A couple of years later, ARB released their new model air compressor - everything we'd been looking for, at very competitive prices.

It seems to me that rubbishing ARB is quite fashionable. Their products may not be cheap, but very few cheap products are actually good.
            NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• signo1985
              • Sep 2017
              • Perth

I absolutely didn't mean to "rubbishing" ARB, as a matter o fact all my recovery gear is ARB.

But i do get your point, can't compare a ridge ryder compressor from SCA with arb stuff.
              And no, definitely my compressor does not have a cut out switch.

Pretty annoying.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
              Working...
              X