• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pwoffey
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2013
    • Adelaide

air hose extension to rear of Paj

I have an ARB compressor permanently mounted in the engine bay, located on the passenger side wheel arch. I got tired on having to couple up two ARB hoses to get to the camper-trailer tyres, especially the one on the driver's side. So I have routed an air hose from the compressor down the engine bay, under the Paj terminating under the rear bumper, driver's side. I found some ARB compatible couplers (Milton Industries M-type), and everything works nicely - after I used sufficient plumbers tape over the threads to stop the air leaks.

My question is: will the section of air hose (blue Powerfit, from Bunnings) that runs into the engine bay be ok with the heat? The hose came with a pressure rating but not a temp rating. I can see that other air hoses have a temp rating of 60 or 65 deg C. Do I need to cover the hose with a heat sleeve? Obviously it is not coming into direct contact with any metal or pipes etc, but it still gets mighty hot under there.

Thanks (and happy Xmas)
    Attached Files
    BY13/MY14 Pajero NW GLX Auto, Cooper ST Maxx, factory towbar, Drifta drawers, SmartBar, Airtec snorkel, Koni Raid 90 front, Dobinson IMLrear shocks with Kings 34-HD springs front, 35-EHD rear, Brown Davis i/c, sump and transmission bash plates, Piranha diff breathers, Fuel Manager pre-filter, LRA 81L auxiliary fuel tank, Piranha steel battery tray, Sherpa 9500 lb winch, HPD catch can, LockUp Mate, Harrop front e-locker, DBA T3 rotors and Xtreme pads, Mark's 4WD reduction gears
  • pharb
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2007
    • Tyers,Vic

Any heat issue will be from the compressed air coming out of the compressor.

If it was me I would use what you have. If it doesn't survive get a metre or so of teflon lined (usually stainless steel braided outer) and fit that to dissipate the heat before the air gets to the normal hose.
    PCOV Member 1107.
    Daily driver NX GLX
    Semi retired NL GLS 3.5 (no airbags) in almost prestine condition to replace NJ.
    Virtually fully retired NJ 2.8TD
    Previously - NB LWB, NA SWB.

Comment

• Pwoffey
      Valued Member
      • Jul 2013
      • Adelaide

Thanks for that. I'm not so concerned about the heated air from the compressor, that is only intermittent and for a relatively short time when in use, and after all, one would expect that any air hose worthy of its name would be designed to survive being hooked up to a compressor. Of course there are all manner of hoses (mostly rubber compounds) in the engine compartment, presumably rated to withstand the temperatures under the bonnet. I just don't know how the air hose (made of PVC) will like being in the engine bay on a hot day when the Paj is being driven for hours on end.

The braided hose sounds like a good idea if I need to replace part of mine. Or it might be worth getting hold of some of this stuff:

High temperature resistant aluminium foil insulating sleeve for protecting hoses, pipes, brake lines and cables. Available in inside diameters from 8mm to 50mm.

but I'll wait and see what others think, especially anyone who has used PVC hose to do what I've done.
      BY13/MY14 Pajero NW GLX Auto, Cooper ST Maxx, factory towbar, Drifta drawers, SmartBar, Airtec snorkel, Koni Raid 90 front, Dobinson IMLrear shocks with Kings 34-HD springs front, 35-EHD rear, Brown Davis i/c, sump and transmission bash plates, Piranha diff breathers, Fuel Manager pre-filter, LRA 81L auxiliary fuel tank, Piranha steel battery tray, Sherpa 9500 lb winch, HPD catch can, LockUp Mate, Harrop front e-locker, DBA T3 rotors and Xtreme pads, Mark's 4WD reduction gears

Comment

• nj swb
        Resident
        • Jun 2007
        • Adelaide

I found a product image here: http://www.powerfitaccessories.com.a...tings-30m.html

Zooming in it looks like temperature is rated to 70 deg C, and pressure to 300 psi. I think you'll be fine.
        NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Pwoffey
          Valued Member
          • Jul 2013
          • Adelaide

Thanks Scott.

Comment

• Pajshomoneroguntero
            Valued Member
            • Jul 2013
            • Sydney

I think you’ll be fine. I run 4mm PE tube from the same location across the back of the firewall and down past the turbo. This was to avoid the exhaust and maximise the distance where I had to get past the exhaust (drivers side turbo). I have had an issue once where the tube softened enough for the compressed air to blow a small hole through the tube. I reckon if I didn’t have the system pressurised I would have got away with it. Also it was only after driving about 20 minutes in soft sand seeing the engine temps quite high when the issue presented itself. I’ve since added a section of split tubing to shield the air line.

Some pics from my build thread: https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum...&postcount=123
            Looks like I’ll have to go through and re-attach any photos linked from photophucket, bunch of aholes.
            NX GLS MY16 Auto: MM Towbar | Spare Lift Kit | Cooper ST MAXX 265/65R17 | SPVi Module mk3.1 | Autosafe Half Cargo Barrier | Torque Pro App | Donaldson 3um 2ndry Fuel Filter | Diff Breathers | GME4500 UHF | Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform | Roley's Rear Bash Plate | Bushskinz Underbody Protection | Airtec Snorkel | Onboard Compressor | Awning | ARB Deluxe Bar | Lightbar | Sherpa4x4 Winch | Bushskinz Sidesteps | Masten TPMS

Build Thread

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
            Working...
            X