• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • disco stu
    Valued Member
    • Dec 2018
    • Wollongong

Thanks. No idea why I couldn't find that earlier. Highlights a difference between brakes on exceed/gls and others in that thread, which goes against what the regs say about brakes and suspension being the she as the variant with the larger diameter tires

Comment

• disco stu
      Valued Member
      • Dec 2018
      • Wollongong

Sorry, add another question to this. Mechanic mentioned something ages about tyres needing to be under certain age for blue slip, which this car will need. Anyone know what that age limit is? Not getting any help through Google

The tyres are dated 4011, putting it about October 2011.

Comment

• pharb
        Valued Member
        • Jul 2007
        • Tyers,Vic

There is no age limit.

Lots manufacturers have "recommendations", but there is no actual age limit.

If your mechanic is suggesting there is ask to see the requirements.

This is not to say they don't age, but there are a huge amount of variables that will shorten the life of a tyre, not just the calendar.

Same applies to most if not all rubber based components.
        PCOV Member 1107.
        Daily driver NX GLX
        Semi retired NL GLS 3.5 (no airbags) in almost prestine condition to replace NJ.
        Virtually fully retired NJ 2.8TD
        Previously - NB LWB, NA SWB.

Comment

• disco stu
          Valued Member
          • Dec 2018
          • Wollongong

Cheers pharb. This guy is one of the few mechanics I trust and just passes the car and tells me to fix it-"I've passed it but make sure you replace that tie rod end asap" is pretty typical. So he isn't the sort of guy who picks up on any little thing that isn't a safety issue.

I think I'm better just giving him a call tomorrow to check, I might have heard him wrong

Comment

• disco stu
            Valued Member
            • Dec 2018
            • Wollongong

Just spoke to mechanic. He said 10 yrs for blue slip, no one normally bothers about age for pink slip

Comment

• pharb
              Valued Member
              • Jul 2007
              • Tyers,Vic

As a mechanic since 1990, but having worked in the area of transport safety and compliance for the last 15 years I have yet to see a rule that designates a limit in tyre age.

I would really like see the requirement that this mechanic is referring to.

Please don't take this as a challenge but a genuine interest in finding a definitive rule about this 10 year age limit.
              PCOV Member 1107.
              Daily driver NX GLX
              Semi retired NL GLS 3.5 (no airbags) in almost prestine condition to replace NJ.

Comment

• disco stu
                Valued Member
                • Dec 2018
                • Wollongong

I'm wondering if it's a NSW thing. I've noticed they don't have the info available on things checked during inspections, that would make it to easy

Comment

• Just Cruzin
                  Valued Member
                  • Jul 2014
                  • Pakenham

Originally posted by pharb View Post
                  As a mechanic since 1990, but having worked in the area of transport safety and compliance for the last 15 years I have yet to see a rule that designates a limit in tyre age.

I would really like see the requirement that this mechanic is referring to.

Please don't take this as a challenge but a genuine interest in finding a definitive rule about this 10 year age limit.
                  I'm a pleb and even I know about the 10 rear rule. retailers aren't allowed to fit new tyres over 5 years old to give the end user at least 5 years of use.
                  99 NL Exceed with air in tyres

Comment

• old Jack
                    Regular
                    • Jun 2011
                    • Adelaide, South Australia.

I am yet to see proof of a definite age time limit or expiry date requirements on tyres in Australia, however manufacturers and some tyre repairer/installers are recommending/enforcing the 5 or 6 year rule as company policy. This is to protect then from any come backs. In regards to a RW inspection, tyres that show signs of age deterioration can cause refusal but this is a subjective assessment rather than a much easier expired date to determine the roadworthiness of the tyre.

OJ.
                    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                    MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Just Cruzin
                      Valued Member
                      • Jul 2014
                      • Pakenham

It's like all dealings with a Government department, 5 people will give you 5 different opinions and not one of them will put it in writing.
                      99 NL Exceed with air in tyres

Comment

• pharb
                        Valued Member
                        • Jul 2007
                        • Tyers,Vic

Originally posted by Just Cruzin View Post
                        It's like all dealings with a Government department, 5 people will give you 5 different opinions and not one of them will put it in writing.

And that is the issue with dealing with bureaucracy.

If it ain't in writing it ain't true.

From NSW RMS themselves -
                        Safe roads, speeds, people and cars should work together in the Safe System approach to reduce deaths and serious injuries on NSW roads.

".......5 years......may need replaced....."
                        PCOV Member 1107.
                        Daily driver NX GLX

Comment

• pharb
                          Valued Member
                          • Jul 2007
                          • Tyers,Vic

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
                          I am yet to see proof of a definite age time limit or expiry date requirements on tyres in Australia, however manufacturers and some tyre repairer/installers are recommending/enforcing the 5 or 6 year rule as company policy. This is to protect then from any come backs. In regards to a RW inspection, tyres that show signs of age deterioration can cause refusal but this is a subjective assessment rather than a much easier expired date to determine the roadworthiness of the tyre.

OJ.
                          Agree.
                          If I was a tyre retailer I wouldn't be selling tyres older than 5 years either to cover my own butt, as well as spruiking replacing tyres after 5 years so I could sell more tyres.
                          PCOV Member 1107.
                          Daily driver NX GLX

Comment

• pharb
                            Valued Member
                            • Jul 2007
                            • Tyers,Vic

Originally posted by Just Cruzin View Post
                            I'm a pleb and even I know about the 10 rear rule. retailers aren't allowed to fit new tyres over 5 years old to give the end user at least 5 years of use.

As a heavy vehicle enforcement officer for 10 years I reckon I was called a pleb a few times, as well as quite a few other names

From the Australian Tyre and Rim Association, whose documents I think are referred to in the ADRs -

".....any tyre over 5 years old should be checked regularly ..........."
                            PCOV Member 1107.
                            Daily driver NX GLX

Comment

• disco stu
                              Valued Member
                              • Dec 2018
                              • Wollongong

Cheers all. That was all I could find on age as well pharb-check tyres that are over 5yrs old. Nothing about not being able to use them after certain time

Comment

• disco stu
                                Valued Member
                                • Dec 2018
                                • Wollongong

Another question. Can anyone tell me what other cars use the same hub size as gen 2 wheels? I seem to keep finding conflicting information on forums. Can't seem to find a database or list that has this information

Trying to keep an eye out for alternative wheels second hand

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X