• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • haz77
    • May 2013
    • nz

3.2 Diesel smoke.

2004 3.2 Diesel, just on 300'kms, oil & filter done every 5'kms for the last 100'kms.
    Penrite 15 / 40 HPR semi synthetic.

Gets all round use, we're out of town so always warm before it trundles around town tows the boat or a horse every so often but only a few times a year, generally its the family every day vehicle.

Been noticing blue'ish smoke for a year or so but not enough to care, then today when I was helping hook the horse float up it was smoking like a bloody train on idle & light revs, still blue but stank of burnt oil, clouds more when it revs then clears but you can see its still smoking, the engine was well & truly warm when this was happening.

Im worried its going to start failing WOF checks on visual smoke soon, but more worried that the motor might be on the way out.

Im picking Valve seals or rings, it doesn't use a lot of oil, 5-700ml every 5000kms.

Before I go talk to the garage, any thing I can do to reduce the smoke, different oil / fuel - oil additives etc?
    Last edited by haz77; 23-10-18, 04:54 PM.
  • Muzza
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2007
    • Nsw

Check the outlet of the turbo for oil passing, given the Ks Turbo seals may be leaking
    Muzza
    2014 NW VRX , Alloy ECB bar, Poly air bags, EGR fixed. EDS scan gauge, lockup mate.
    2003 NP DID GLS retired and gone to a good home
    2007 21' Lotus spirit caravan

LH Torana

Comment

• haz77
      • May 2013
      • nz

Originally posted by Muzza View Post
      Check the outlet of the turbo for oil passing, given the Ks Turbo seals may be leaking
      Do you mean to check the intake air from the turbo to the manifold?

So worn seals could be leaking oil into the inlet or more exhaust gas?

Comment

• Muzza
        Valued Member
        • Jul 2007
        • Nsw

Yes the outlet of the turbo, heading to the intercooler, it should be clean and dry, maybe a big greasy, but no oil
        Muzza
        2014 NW VRX , Alloy ECB bar, Poly air bags, EGR fixed. EDS scan gauge, lockup mate.
        2003 NP DID GLS retired and gone to a good home
        2007 21' Lotus spirit caravan

LH Torana

Comment

• Sparky3975
          • Apr 2017
          • Botanic Ridge, Vic

I have a similar problem on my 3.2 diesel where I get what appears to be over-fueling between about 60-80KPH. I get excessive black smoke from the exhaust at light throttle at @ 1500 rpm in 5th gear (auto) but not all the time. If I drop the transmission back to 4th it goes away. I will be getting a dyno diagnosis at some point.

Here is a good link that explains some causes of diesel smoke:

WHAT IS THE EXHAUST SMOKE FROM YOUR 4WD REALLY TELLING YOU? WORDS BY PAUL ZIELINSKI, PHOTOGRAPHY BY BRETT SHEARER   If you’ve ever wondered what the smoke coming from your exhaust means, then you’re not alone! We’ve all seen it at one time or another. You’re pushing hard to get your 4WD up a ste
          2005 NP Pajero Exceed DiD: Airtec snorkel, iDrive, Nudge bar with 24" Stedi light bar, Redarc's Ultimate Dual Battery setup, ARB dual battery tray, 2" MD King/Bilstein suspension combo, Provent 200 catch can pro, Bridgestone D697 A/T's, Front/Rear DBA Slotted disc rotors, Boo's bashplates.

Comment

• haz77
            • May 2013
            • nz

Used Nulon synth 15/40 instead of the pentrite HPR15 15/50 Ive allways used until now,

Just about 500kms OVER due on the 5000kms oil change, done a fair bit of towing & plenty of highway hot summer running, the truck has used NO oil & is hardly smoking at all.

Hard to believe simply changing from Penrite to Nulon could be such a difference for almost the same grade & type!

Comment

• Lance
              Valued Member
              • Aug 2009
              • Melbourne

Good that the issues appears to be sorted, and 'Brownie Points' to you for coming back to tell us
              2005 NP Platinum Edition, DiD Auto
              2009 VW Crafter motorhome

Comment

• cafey18
                • Aug 2018
                • Bathurst NSW

Sparky we have the same issue. Did you get to the bottom of this intermittent overfueling issue ?
                Regards
                Cafey.

Originally posted by Sparky3975 View Post
                I have a similar problem on my 3.2 diesel where I get what appears to be over-fueling between about 60-80KPH. I get excessive black smoke from the exhaust at light throttle at @ 1500 rpm in 5th gear (auto) but not all the time. If I drop the transmission back to 4th it goes away. I will be getting a dyno diagnosis at some point.

Here is a good link that explains some causes of diesel smoke:

https://www.berrimadiesel.com/diesel.../smoke-signals

Comment

• Sparky3975
                  • Apr 2017
                  • Botanic Ridge, Vic

Originally posted by cafey18 View Post
                  Sparky we have the same issue. Did you get to the bottom of this intermittent overfueling issue ?
                  Regards
                  Cafey.
                  Hi Cafey,

Sorry for my late response. It wasn't actually over-fuelling, what I did was blank off the EGR valve to prove the issue. Once it was blanked, the black smoke disappeared. The only time I get black smoke now is under acceleration.
                  2005 NP Pajero Exceed DiD: Airtec snorkel, iDrive, Nudge bar with 24" Stedi light bar, Redarc's Ultimate Dual Battery setup, ARB dual battery tray, 2" MD King/Bilstein suspension combo, Provent 200 catch can pro, Bridgestone D697 A/T's, Front/Rear DBA Slotted disc rotors, Boo's bashplates.

Comment

• cafey18
                    • Aug 2018
                    • Bathurst NSW

Originally posted by Sparky3975 View Post
                    Hi Cafey,

Sorry for my late response. It wasn't actually over-fuelling, what I did was blank off the EGR valve to prove the issue. Once it was blanked, the black smoke disappeared. The only time I get black smoke now is under acceleration.
                    Ok thanks for the reply Sparky. I have since found a split in the intake hose about 200mm from the throttle body. A piece of 2.5 inch stainless exhaust and two clamps has fixed that but yet to prove this was the culprit.
                    Cheers
                    Cafey.

Comment

• cafey18
                      • Aug 2018
                      • Bathurst NSW

Originally posted by cafey18 View Post
                      Ok thanks for the reply Sparky. I have since found a split in the intake hose about 200mm from the throttle body. A piece of 2.5 inch stainless exhaust and two clamps has fixed that but yet to prove this was the culprit.
                      Cheers
                      Cafey.
                      Just some feedback regarding the exhaust smoke at light throttle, once I repaired the split intake hose with a section of 2.5" stainless exhaust and clamps the issue appears to be fixed.
                      Cheers
                      Cafey.

Comment

• Nab
                        Valued Member
                        • Mar 2012
                        • Perth

Thankfully an easy fix. Thanks for the update!
                        SOLD 2004 NP 3.2 auto
                        NOW 2014 Ranger XLT auto

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X