• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KPJero
    • May 2019
    • QLD

OP, your pajero looks great.
    I am currently trying to figure out if I can fit 285/70/r17s on my NT. I don't have a lift but am debating getting one to fit that size tyre. Also, stock everything else. Thoughts? Do you reckon they'd fit with the stock bumpers?

Comment

• Chunk
      • Jun 2015
      • S.A

Originally posted by KPJero View Post
      I am currently trying to figure out if I can fit 285/70/r17s on my NT. I don't have a lift but am debating getting one to fit that size tyre. Also, stock everything else. Thoughts? Do you reckon they'd fit with the stock bumpers?
      Hey bud, I had bigger tyres on my ns pajero they were17's when purchased but it had 18's when they come out new, the owner at my local bridgestone said that the 265/65 R17 was the correct tyre as far as total circumference from original, thats what I went back to , as not to affect Speedo i think i had 275/70 R17 around that at the time got some new bridgestone duellers 697 type great tyre imo i have a 2inch lift and the look didn't change bugga all going back a little on size plenty of side wall still, just thought I'd try to help the thread is nearly 4years old might not get a reply from original post

Comment

• old Jack
        Regular
        • Jun 2011
        • Adelaide, South Australia.

Hi KPJero,

You are in Qld so you can only legally increase tyre diameter by up to 50mm, and only as long as they do not rub on the body, suspension or steering components.
        Standard tyre is 265/65R17 776mm diameter.
        285/70R17 is 859mm so that is 83mm larger in diameter so if this tyre physically fits you will need an engineers certification. This tyre is 11% larger in circumference so you will notice a loss in acceleration and braking performance. If you have an Auto Trans the torque convertor will spend more time unlocked so expecte higher ATF temperatures and shorter ATF life. If you have a Manual Trans the increased load will make your clutch work harder so expect a shorter life. Fuel consumption will also increase even when you correct the kms traveled by 11%.

OJ.
        2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
        MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• KPJero
          • May 2019
          • QLD

Originally posted by Chunk View Post
          Hey bud, I had bigger tyres on my ns pajero they were17's when purchased but it had 18's when they come out new, the owner at my local bridgestone said that the 265/65 R17 was the correct tyre as far as total circumference from original, thats what I went back to , as not to affect Speedo i think i had 275/70 R17 around that at the time got some new bridgestone duellers 697 type great tyre imo i have a 2inch lift and the look didn't change bugga all going back a little on size plenty of side wall still, just thought I'd try to help the thread is nearly 4years old might not get a reply from original post
          Thanks, no offense, but that was really hard to follow with out punctuation, but I think I'm scoopin what you're poopin

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
          Hi KPJero,

You are in Qld so you can only legally increase tyre diameter by up to 50mm, and only as long as they do not rub on the body, suspension or steering components.
          Standard tyre is 265/65R17 776mm diameter.
          285/70R17 is 859mm so that is 83mm larger in diameter so if this tyre physically fits you will need an engineers certification. This tyre is 11% larger in circumference so you will notice a loss in acceleration and braking performance. If you have an Auto Trans the torque convertor will spend more time unlocked so expecte higher ATF temperatures and shorter ATF life. If you have a Manual Trans the increased load will make your clutch work harder so expect a shorter life. Fuel consumption will also increase even when you correct the kms traveled by 11%.

OJ.
          Wow thanks for that.
          How does one get an engineer to sign off it?
          What about just a 275/70/17 then?

Comment

• old Jack
            Regular
            • Jun 2011

How does one get an engineer to sign off it?
            What about just a 275/70/17 then?
            There should be a list of approved certification engineers available from the Qld Motor a Transport Depatment.
            Vehicle owners who wish to modify their vehicles need to follow the standards and guidelines that apply to the modification of vehicles for use on our roads.

275/70R17 is 817mm in diameter so 41mm larger than factory spec, circumference change is 5.3%.

Also to consider is the Qld limit of 75mm overall ride height increase by combination of up to 50mm tyre and up to 50mm suspension lift. So 41mm tyre diameter increase increases your ride height by 20.5mm and the a 50mm suspension lift totals 70.5mm so this is a legal upgrade.

OJ.
            2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.

Comment

• KPJero
              • May 2019
              • QLD

Well it seems like 275/70/R17 is not a common sized Tyre. They're either the same price or more than the 285s. I dunno what to do. I've currently got 265/65/R17s all around. The fronts are Kenda Kelver (?) and in good shape. One rear is Dunlop and the other is a Bridgestone and need replacing at some juncture. Do I say screw it and get a 2" lift and then new tyres, or just get new rears? This is my weekend vehicle and it sits parked otherwise as I've got a work ute and a forestor that the missus and I share. Oh decisions!

Comment

• DID Dash
                • Aug 2016
                • Australia

Why not just go to a 265/70R17? Proven upgrade for Pajero, slight ground clearance improvement, legal, common swap, use your current rims, easily sourced anywhere, don’t rub and priced reasonable.
                17MY Pajero Sport, Factory Towbar, King Springs KCRS-23/Pedders 5899 Cones, 265/70R17 A/T's for the rough trips.

Comment

• KPJero
                  • May 2019
                  • QLD

Originally posted by DID Dash View Post
                  Why not just go to a 265/70R17? Proven upgrade for Pajero, slight ground clearance improvement, legal, common swap, use your current rims, easily sourced anywhere, don’t rub and priced reasonable.
                  So this website: https://tiresize.com/comparison/
                  Shows a 265/70R17 is 803 while the 265/65R17 is 777, so a difference of only 26mm. So basically 13mm of lift. Doesn't really seem worth it. As a 285/70R17 is 831. So a lift of 27mm, double of the 265/70R17...

Comment

• Dicko1
                    Valued Member
                    • Dec 2014
                    • Cairns, FNQ

So this website: https://tiresize.com/comparison/
                    Shows a 265/70R17 is 803 while the 265/65R17 is 777, so a difference of only 26mm. So basically 13mm of lift. Doesn't really seem worth it. As a 285/70R17 is 831. So a lift of 27mm, double of the 265/70R17...

And still not worth it..
                    Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• DID Dash
                      • Aug 2016
                      • Australia

Hi KPJero, guess it depends what you are after. No doubt a set of 285/70R17’s will look tough, but may rub, will affect gearing, braking and driveability, fuel economy will be worse and they are probably illegal possibly leaving you uninsured. There are better ways to get a lift than tyres alone. Ultimately, you need to be happy with your choice. Good luck which ever way you go.
                      17MY Pajero Sport, Factory Towbar, King Springs KCRS-23/Pedders 5899 Cones, 265/70R17 A/T's for the rough trips.

Comment

• KPJero
                        • May 2019
                        • QLD

Originally posted by Dicko1 View Post
                        And still not worth it..
                        Go on..?

Comment

• Dicko1
                          Valued Member
                          • Dec 2014
                          • Cairns, FNQ

Go on..?

Lets use Bridgestone 697 light truck tyre as an example..

265/65/17 is around $260

285/70/17 is around $420

So an extra $160 x 5 or $800 for the wankish "look tough" factor that a lot of youngens go for. They are harder to source in some regional areas if ever you urgently need one PLUS all the reasons DID DASH stated.

The subject of larger tyres has been done to death on the forum and the majority stay with the original factory size or maybe go up one size, especially if you do any towing. Legal size is also a big issue. Insurance companies will try anything to reduce a payout. Deliberately fitting illegal tyre size is an easy out for them as your car is also unroadworthy. The extra clearance is not great and this alters depending on tyre pressures and terrain travelled.

Mate its your money but IMHO the smart move would be to buy quality tyres of the same size as fitted by Mitsy.
                          Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• pronvit
                            • Mar 2019
                            • New Zealand

Originally posted by Dicko1 View Post
                            Deliberately fitting illegal tyre size is an easy out for them as your car is also unroadworthy.
                            Sorry for offtopic, but isn't there a way to certify such "illegal" modifications in AU? In NZ we have an agency that does that. I think you can do less without certification than allowed in AU, but for certification there are no hard limits on most things. For wheels, they'll inspect and test to see that the wheel clears all the components, braking performance, speedometer accuracy, etc.
                            2008 Pajero NS V6. Factory rear diff lock. OME suspension. Ironman underbody protection. Rhino-Rack Pioneer Platform. ASFIR hidden winch mount, Ridge Ryder 12000lbs winch.

2006 LR Discovery 3 TDV6.

Comment

• old Jack
                              Regular
                              • Jun 2011

Originally posted by pronvit View Post
                              Sorry for off topic, but isn't there a way to certify such "illegal" modifications in AU? In NZ we have an agency that does that. I think you can do less without certification than allowed in AU, but for certification there are no hard limits on most things. For wheels, they'll inspect and test to see that the wheel clears all the components, braking performance, speedometer accuracy, etc.

Our problem in Australia is we have a National Code of Practice in regards to Vehicle Modifications but each State chooses which parts they are going to use and which parts they are not and it is the State that is the regulatory body.
                              There are stricter rules around modifications of vehicles fitted with Stability Control systems.

OJ.

Comment

• pronvit
                                • Mar 2019
                                • New Zealand

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
                                Our problem in Australia is we have a National Code of Practice in regards to Vehicle Modifications but each State chooses which parts they are going to use and which parts they are not and it is the State that is the regulatory body.
                                There are stricter rules around modifications of vehicles fitted with Stability Control systems.

OJ.
                                I get that, but that doesn't answer the question whether it's possible at all to get something that doesn't fit generic regulations road legal. Like scratch-built vehicles, heavy modifications, conversions, etc.
                                2008 Pajero NS V6. Factory rear diff lock. OME suspension. Ironman underbody protection. Rhino-Rack Pioneer Platform. ASFIR hidden winch mount, Ridge Ryder 12000lbs winch.

2006 LR Discovery 3 TDV6.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X