• Show
Clear All
  • Pickle
    Administrator
    • Jun 2007
    • All over Oz

2013 Outlander LS report

From Russia with love!
    Well not so long ago finished having a good test drive of the Outlander AWD LS 2.2 diesel with the six speed auto and it does impress. Built in Russia I thought there might have been a few quality issues but that certainly isn’t the case with this model. Up against the likes of the Suburu Forrester, Toyota Rav 4, Nissan X Trail, Mazda CX5, Holden Captiva and Honda CRV in the AWD market this model has some pretty serious competitors that it needs to get the edge on . Spending a week with the vehicle I got to have a good look at all the nooks and crannies and was pleasantly surprised the fit and finish was on par with what comes out of Japan. Sitting on the previous models platform this model has all new panels and interior for the 2013 range. Styling on it is not every ones cup of tea but I didn’t mind it. I liked the front and that was the key to an improved 7% Drag Coefficient over the older model. New colours with Starlight, Cool Silver and Copper for the range are introduced and with mine being Copper it certainly was a head turner. Dropped is the 3ltr V6 in these models but a petrol 2 ltr and 2.4 ltr is introduced in the lower spec ES. Mine had the newly introduced 2.2 Ltr DID diesel built by Mitsubishi Heavy Industries and a stable mate of the 1.8 ltr diesel in the ASX range. This one a 16 valve DOHC intercooled turbo common rail direct injection diesel. Funnily enough the 2.2 DID didn’t get Mivec technology like the 1.8 did. That in itself is not really a deal buster as this 2.2 DID mated to the 6 speed auto is a real pearler. Incidently this combo of the 2.2 Ltr DID and six speed auto has found it’s way into the ASX range as well .
    Interior is well laid out. You get tilt and reach steering. Separate climate control for passenger and driver. A great audio and media unit that has a 6.1’ display with rear view camera interface. Plenty of functions on the steering wheel to keep you occupied pushing buttons all day, but the good thing is everything you need is basically at your fingertips. The only thing I wasn’t keen on here was the paddles for the gearshifts. One either side of the steering wheel that made the whole lot look too busy. They worked well but I would still like to see the adaptive shift back on the console where all gear changes and selections should be made! Seats are firm but comfortable and you get the seven seat combination in this model. You can change the configuration around to suit but once you get seven in there don’t expect to carry too much luggage although as a five seater you get a fair bit back in the rear. Some good size suitcases would fit easily in the rear with a blind available to be fitted level with the seats to keep prying eyes out of the rear to see what you are carrying.
    Centred on the dash is the ECO button. This is what I call ‘Tight Arse Mode’ and it basically makes the accelerator harder to press. Certainly worked well on the highway where acceleration was not quite significant once up to speed but around the suburbs I found myself constantly checking the mirrors to see if I was holding anyone up behind. You also get a score value showing up on the dash in the form of Clover Leafs after the ignition is turned off to see how well you have fared with the fuel economy. It was easy getting four clovers after trips in Eco mode.
    Off road it faired well. I had the opportunity to take it down to the Melbourne 4x4 Training and Proving Ground for a day. Having rained overnight the course was muddy but with full tyre pressure the Outlander did pretty good under the conditions. It seemed to excel in the sand pit but don’t expect too much out of it off road. It’s low ride height and plastic protection guards underneath will limit you to how far you expect it to go in 4x4 mode.
    On road it has fantastic driving dynamics and is a very easy vehicle to adjust to your driving style. A tad quieter than the previous model but still a little road noise in the cabin. Comfortable inside with everything at your reach whilst driving makes the Outlander a pleasure to drive. I got some fantastic fuel figures out of this vehicle and even getting as low as 4.7 ltrs/100kph on a trip to a club meet without it in Eco mode. Highway runs it was an average of 5.5 lts/100kph which really is not too shabby for a seven seater.
    Overall I was impressed with the quality of the finish. Coming from Russia I really had a good look to find something to nit pick with it but there just wasn’t anything worth noting.
    The ZJ MY 2013 Outlander certainly is a step up from the previous model. It fits in to the family that does the occasional dirt road on a picnic scenario but really is just as good driving in the suburbs without fuss. Good fuel economy tops it off with the great combination of the 2.2 and six speed transmission making it such an easy drive.
    What I liked.
    6.1 display and audio system.
    Fuel Economy
    Comfortable interior
    Build quality.
    Dislikes
    Plastic bash plates
    Some interior plastics
    Alloy wheels (cleaning of)
    Dave Howard
    NX Pampas Cat GLS MY16
    Member 1228 Pajero Club
  • arist
    • Jul 2013
    • Victoris

Great write up Pickle

I had no idea its a Russian built Japanese car...lol are they all built in Russia for the world market ?

Im very happy with mine.....Im 2 weeks since I filled my tank and still have a half tank left. My old ute would need a fill once a week.

Comment

• Pickle
      Administrator
      • Jun 2007
      • All over Oz

2014 Mitsubishi Outlander earns Top Safety Pick+ award
      The crash test
      2014 Mitsubishi Outlander 40 mph driver-side small overlap IIHS crash testOverall evaluation: GoodFull rating at https://www.iihs.org/ratings/vehicle/mitsubi...
      NX Pampas Cat GLS MY16
      Member 1228 Pajero Club

Comment

• Maximage
        • Mar 2013
        • Darch, Perth, WA

So does anyone know if these things have a DPF or not?
        SOLD: 2013 DiD VRX, MM locker, Dueller 697s, ARB bull bar, Runva EWX9500-Q winch, full Bushskinz plates and sliders, Lovells/Bilsteins with PolyAirs, Airtec snorkel, Jonny Tig Front Mount Intercooler, Pacemaker 3" exhaust, RalliArt ECU, FuelManager diesel pre-filter, EGR block & catch can, BRC breathers, Hella 4000 HIDs, LED Light Bar, BCDC dual battery system, Tow Pro Elite brake controller, Couplertec, spare tyre lift, Whispbar roof racks.

Comment

• Pickle
          Administrator
          • Jun 2007
          • All over Oz

Originally posted by Maximage View Post
          So does anyone know if these things have a DPF or not?
          Yes they do! Passive I believe.
          Dave
          NX Pampas Cat GLS MY16
          Member 1228 Pajero Club

Comment

• Quadcam
            • May 2008
            • Brisbane

I am somewhat surprised, given the torque, that S-AWC isn't included as I find it is quite effective in the previous model v6 (which has 291 Nm torque). In a climb on a friends property I could feel the S-AWC working (and see it on the display) and it was impressive in its ability to keep the car moving over ruts that caused diagonal wheelspin.

With the torque of the 2.2 diesel you would think S-AWC would be complementary (or even mandatory) but maybe the product planners don't think owners would take their cars where it would be useful.
            ZH Outlander VRX previously NS X V6 - RDL

Comment

• arist
              • Jul 2013
              • Victoris

Good video ! ... see that rim pop off!

Great Safety Rating... just what you need for carrying the family.

Comment

• Pickle
                Administrator
                • Jun 2007
                • All over Oz

Now I have to make an apology here guys, I have been notified by reliable sources that our current crop of Outlanders are manufactured in Japan and not Russia as stated by me in the article. Russian built Outlanders are only distributed in European countries. The Aus dilevered are built in Japan.
                Dave
                NX Pampas Cat GLS MY16
                Member 1228 Pajero Club

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                Working...
                X