• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Loopin
    • Oct 2018
    • Queensland

Touring Oz - basic kit?

Hi,

I just bout a 2010 Activ Pajero 3.2Ltr TD. My first 4wd and plan to tow a camper round Aus next year w family of 5.

Trying to get kitted up and ready to go and my question is... what is the basic toolset that I'll need while touring this great land of ours? Nothing too extensive, but just some basics to change a fan belt or water hose, etc.

Any and all advice is much appreciated.
  • gemster
    Valued Member
    • Aug 2012
    • Gold Coast

There is plenty of info out there... Google is your friend... You can ask 10 4x4 travellers and get 11 different lists... A bit of a search on here will help you tho..

Gemster....
    YES. ITS A MITZY . 97 NL 3.5 GLS AUTO (Formally owned by geopaj)__ Snorkel ,2 Uniden Uhfs , Roof Console, 2"lift, TT Suspension, Dual bat, Redarc System, BFG KO2's All Terrains, 55L sub tank, Pioneer sound, Milford cargo barrier, Extractors, SS exhaust, Rear camp light, Free Wheel Hubs, Improved Rear Storage unit, Alarm, Led interior lamps...
    And a 1999 NL LWB... Called 'Project Covid".. Stock Standard.
    ..Both with No Airbags. We die like real Men

Comment

• old Jack
      Regular
      • Jun 2011
      • Adelaide, South Australia.

On an 8 year old 4wd it is probably wise to change all belts and hoses if they have not been changed yet, these are not all straight forward to change on the side of the road. Do this several months before your trip and carry the old hoses and belts as spares. Much easier and cheaper to do this at home than whilst traveling.

Unless you have the mechanical ability and knowledge it is pointless taking too may tools.

It is just extra weight and weight is a vehicle killer!

1st item would be to fit is an OBD gauge like an Ultragauge MX1.3 or Scangauge II, this means you can clear and read fault codes, also it allows you to monitor multiple engine and auto trans parameters so you get an early warning of something going wrong.

2nd is download a copy of the online service manual including all wiring diagrams onto a, memory stick, lap top or tablet, this way you still have access to information if you do not have internet coverage. If you have the correct information on hand then this could assist someone with more ability than yourself to diagnose and fix a problem.
      If you have internet coverage then this forum is your best resource for advice if you have got a problem, members are Australia wide so help is not that far away if you really need it.

3rd, Fit a tyre pressure monitor system to your vehicle and caravan, this could save you from ruining a tyre which could also lead to a serious accident. Fit new tyres before you leave, ditch the passenger construction tyres and fit good quality 10 ply light truck AT tyres. A $300 tyre in the city will cost you $400+ in the country and you may have to wait days for the size and brand you want. Pajero's do not like running tyres of different sizes or tread patterns so all tyres should be identical including spares.

4th, Make sure your suspension is up to the challenge of carrying the weight you need or want to carry. Do a test load up at least 3 months before departing, measure font and rear axle weights as well as ride heights. Minimum legal ride height is 461mm front and 488mm rear but if you are heading off the bitumen then aim for 504mm front and 533mm rear or greater when fully loaded. Axle weight limits are 1330kg front and 1780kg rear.

OJ.
      2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
      MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• nj swb
        Resident
        • Jun 2007
        • Adelaide

As OJ said, be wary of carrying too much weight. However, if you're towing a camper, that gives you an extra axle to help spread the weight, so it may be easier for you to stay within rated limits.

I recommend that you buy a dedicated tool kit for your Pajero, and use that kit every time you do any work on the vehicle. If you find you need a tool that isn't in your kit, consider if it should be added. If you don't need it, question why you're carrying it. For instance, I don't carry complete kits of sockets and spanners - only sizes I've learned I need. The Pajero uses metric fasteners - I don't carry imperial tools. I recently found two new nuts on my suspension required an 18mm spanner, which I have never required before. Rather than add a spanner, I replaced the nuts - now my 19mm spanner does the job.

This kit must be carried in the Pajero (don't leave it in the camper while you head off on a day trip), but you should also consider if there are additional tools you could carry in the camper.

Working on this approach, some of the items I've added:

1. Three different 17mm spanners. I needed all three before I could loosen my alternator sufficient to change the fan belts.
        2. A 12mm ratcheting ring spanner, for replacing / tightening fan belts. Yes, you can tighten the belts without it, but the ratcheting ring makes it so much easier!
        3. An oil filter wrench. Even with a screwdriver buried to the hilt through the old filter, I couldn't get it off. The correct 3- jaw filter wrench loosened it without sweat.
        4. A 600mm 1/2" breaker bar. I couldn't remove the rear calipers to clean sand out of the handbrake without it.

I only recently decided I'll add a 36mm socket. This is required to loosen the nuts holding the drive shafts into the wheel bearings, at all four corners, which you might need if you have catastophic CV failure, and need to remove the shaft. Of course, even my breaker bar and a hammer weren't enough to loosen one of the nuts, but I couldn't get that far without borrowing a socket. If you're stuck on the side of the track, somebody else might arrive who can help with bigger bar / bigger hammer, but a 36mm socket isn't something that everybody will carry.

Twice now, I've seen the 36mm socket need a big mofo battery impact driver to loosen the nut. Because I'm already travelling too heavy I don't intend to carry an impact driver in the Paj, but it might be something for your camper?
        NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• gemster
          Valued Member
          • Aug 2012
          • Gold Coast

All good info there to ponder over Loopin..... Wish the OBD readers worked on my NL.... Sick of paying to read and clear faults..... Is there 'Something' that will work with an NL?
          I have a TPMS fitted and they are really good value to have, you just need to get one that will read below 25psi if you run that low pressure....
          And don't forget to make-up a good First-aid kit.... You never know when you will need one...
          Here's a Fine Example of being under-prepared-- and im surprised they were so under-prepared being where we were....
          I was 120km from Cloncurry, in the middle of no-where Fossicking, and came across a couple who were driving really fast for the conditions and flashing their lights to flag Me down. They asked if I had a First-aid Kit as the Husband was bitten by a snake and they had NO First aid kit..(they could have used clothing or SOMETHING) So We Wrapped him up properly and I used my sat phone to summon help as I felt under those circumstances He would Never have made Hospital as the Husband was the one Driving.. (Fool).. Now that could have ended up real BAD as he was already feeling the effects of the bite...
          Ambo's got the Co-ords and flew a Chopper out to get him... All turned out good in the end, but with-out My Help and My First-aid Kit, They would never have made it out Alive...
          And the Chopper crew replaced the Bandages I had used... Bloody good Fellows I said... Till they said that I may need them..

As for the Impact Wrench, they are great to use to drive 'Sleeper Screws' into the ground when setting up the tent... I will never use a normal tent peg again....
          Gemster.....
          YES. ITS A MITZY . 97 NL 3.5 GLS AUTO (Formally owned by geopaj)__ Snorkel ,2 Uniden Uhfs , Roof Console, 2"lift, TT Suspension, Dual bat, Redarc System, BFG KO2's All Terrains, 55L sub tank, Pioneer sound, Milford cargo barrier, Extractors, SS exhaust, Rear camp light, Free Wheel Hubs, Improved Rear Storage unit, Alarm, Led interior lamps...
          And a 1999 NL LWB... Called 'Project Covid".. Stock Standard.
          ..Both with No Airbags. We die like real Men

Comment

• insect_eater
            Valued Member
            • Mar 2015
            • Canberra

You've made a great choice of vehicle for such a trip, it is more reliable than most.

Finer and more experienced minds than mine have already commented, but I offer the following thoughts:

Where you plan to go affects the risk of breakdown and the ease at which you can arrange outside assistance. This affects the tools and spares you might choose to carry

Your accessories and trailer are likely to give more issues than the Pajero - research common problems with them and carry the tools for them (only if you also intend to carry any necessary spares, and know how to use the tools to fix the problem, as OJ suggests). the tools may be different sizes to those for the Pajero

Take a multimeter, fuses, and electrical spares for the trailer. An electrical problem is as likely as a mechanical one.

Learn how to use the auto to keep the temps down, and consider fitting a torque converter lock-up modification to assist further.
            Last edited by insect_eater; 01-11-18, 09:53 PM. Reason: forgot stuff
            NX GLX manual, T13, XD9000, Koni RAID, Ultragauge, ISI carrier, pioneer platform, Lithium auxillary

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
            Working...
            X