• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rob64
    • Mar 2018
    • NSW

Victoria High Country Trip

Hi guys,

We are planning a trip to Victoria High Country (Mid November) for about 10 nights and was after some track advice and your thoughts on camping spots as we head in from Barry Way.
    I ​just purchased a 2018 Trition GLS Dual Cab with the standard Bridgestone highway tyres and I will be towing a Pod Trailer.
    There is a second vehicle, VW Amerok Dual Cab who will not be towing.
    Q. Will the triton standard tyres with reduced pressure be sufficient or will I need to change to an all terrain Tyre ?
    Q. Should I leave the trailer at home ?
    Q. What camp sites do you recommend coming in from Jindabyne along The Barry Way for 10 nights.

Thanks and cheers in advance
    Rob
  • erad
    Valued Member
    • Mar 2015
    • Cooma NSW

I cannot reliably comment on the choice of tyre for you. I have done similar trips many times with highway tyres on my NW Pajero and had no problems, but maybe I was lucky???

Regarding coming down the Barry Way from Jindabyne, the road is narrow and has some nasty unmarked bends. No problems if you keep your speed down and stay on your own side of the road. You will have the drop on your side, so it is important to be careful. Cattle trucks use this road and pass other trucks so it is do-able, but care must be taken.

Normally a good gravel road all the way. When you get near Suggan Buggan, the road is sealed, but resist the temptation to speed up - it is very narrow and winding. Sharp curves, no signs.

There are a few campsites on the way beside the Snowy River. A piece of heaven in my opinion. Mid November could be a bit hot, but there is always the river to cool off in. I think 10 days may be a bit too long, but that is your choice. There are about 5 recognised camp sites (toilets etc) along the stretch beside the river. Once you start to climb, no more good sites. Willis is probably the best site, but it may be a bit crowded as well.

Another good camp site is to go to McKillops Bridge (further South - climb out of the Snowy Valley and then turn left at Gelantipity). The road to the bridge is VERY narrow and extreme care is required, but this is probably a better place to camp. Beautiful area - enjoy.

Comment

• Rob64
      • Mar 2018
      • NSW

Hi Erad,

Sorry I was not clear, travelling via Barry Way but want to travel through / stay at Dargo, Wonnangatta, Blue rag track, The Pinnacles, Zeka Spur Track, Howitt Hut, Craig’s Hut, Dinner Plain, Anglers Rest, Cobberas track back to Jindabyne. We will be self sufficient so no power is needed.
      Hope that is a bit more information as to where we intend to travel, just concerned about standard tyres and towing Pod Trailer.

Regards

Rob

Comment

• old Jack
        Regular
        • Jun 2011
        • Adelaide, South Australia.

Travelling in the High Country just after winter and a month after the harder tracks open up, is more difficult than later in the season. Expect more mud, swollen rivers and trees blocking tracks. Therefore you will have much more trouble if you have HT tyres and even more trouble if towing. If you have a winch and like winching, have a chainsaw on like clearing tracks then you would not be disappointed in your adventure.

OJ.
        2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
        MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• erad
          Valued Member
          • Mar 2015
          • Cooma NSW

All of the roads you mention should be open by November. Snow should be gone from the roads by then, but river crossings eg Wonnangatta may still be a bit high if we still have some snow higher up. Most of the roads from Gelantipity onwards in your trip are not cleared during winter, and may have some trees down. A chainsaw and a winch would be a help

Tracks like Blue Rag are liable to be blocked at any time of the year if there has been high winds. As for rivers, by November the snow should have melted by then, but hopefully not, because we need as much precipitation as we can get right now. Again, creek or river crossings are dependent on how much rain has fallen in the previous week or so.

Regarding highway tyres, I have done most of your route on highway tyres, but I was scared in places like Blue Rag that I may cut one on the steeper sections. Changing a wheel then would be hell. Take it quietly, lower your tyre pressures and you should have no worries at all.

Comment

• Pajshomoneroguntero
            Valued Member
            • Jul 2013
            • Sydney

You mentioned that you've just purchased your Triton, have you taken delivery of it yet? If not I'd suggest getting the tyres changed now to something more appropriate. It'll be cheaper and less stressful for your trip.
            NX GLS MY16 Auto: MM Towbar | Spare Lift Kit | Cooper ST MAXX 265/65R17 | SPVi Module mk3.1 | Autosafe Half Cargo Barrier | Torque Pro App | Donaldson 3um 2ndry Fuel Filter | Diff Breathers | GME4500 UHF | Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform | Roley's Rear Bash Plate | Bushskinz Underbody Protection | Airtec Snorkel | Onboard Compressor | Awning | ARB Deluxe Bar | Lightbar | Sherpa4x4 Winch | Bushskinz Sidesteps | Masten TPMS

Build Thread

Comment

• nj swb
              Resident
              • Jun 2007
              • Adelaide

I was over there with the club in 2010, when the PB was new. Pickle had organised a press-fleet Challenger, which was completely stock in every way.

That Challenger made it to the top of Blue Rag with zero drama, before the "jump up" was graded. I didn't do Blue Rag this year, but I don't imagine it could be much worse than last year - I would expect the Triton and Amarok to make it without much drama.

Notwithstanding the above, I would always prefer to have some LT rated ATs for anything resembling real 4wding i.e. where 4wd is actually required, and not simply a good idea.
              NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Rob64
                • Mar 2018
                • NSW

Hi Gents,
                Appreciate your informative feedback and I think I will leave the trailer at home and purchase some LT AT Tyres. I do have anothe4 question though, standard tyre size is 245/65R17 but what would be the largest tyre to improve ground clearance but not affect the gearing too much, it is an auto diesel.
                Cheers

Comment

• kiwi1973
                  Valued Member
                  • Sep 2012
                  • New Zealand

Originally posted by Rob64 View Post
                  Hi Gents,
                  Appreciate your informative feedback and I think I will leave the trailer at home and purchase some LT AT Tyres. I do have anothe4 question though, standard tyre size is 245/65R17 but what would be the largest tyre to improve ground clearance but not affect the gearing too much, it is an auto diesel.
                  Cheers
                  Could certainly go up to 265/65R17. There are some good AT tyres available in this size, including the excellent ST Maxx. Probably the biggest you would want to go is 265/70R17, which opens you up to a full range of AT and MT tyres and should be an easy size to find a replacement if you need in a hurry. There is likely to be some gearing effect, but it's a compromise and I didn't suggest anything bigger in order to contain any gearing effect.

265/65R17 is approx 1" larger diameter than what you have, meaning an extra 1/2" ground clearance. 265/70R17 is approx 2" larger diameter, meaning an extra 1" of ground clearance.
                  2007 Shogun 3.2DID. UK Diamond Spec. Harrop Eaton front E-locker. MCC Bullbar. Runva 11XP winch. 17" Dotz rims with 32" STT Pro. Koni HT RAID 90 series with +2" EHD Lovells springs. ASFIR protection plates for engine & transmission. DIY steel rocksliders. LRA 81 litre auxiliary fuel tank. Waeco CFX-40. Home made drawers & fridge slide. Dual power - 120a/h AGM with CTEK DC-DC. LED lighting. 43 litre water tank with two electric pumps - one for tap (via filter) & one via heat exchanger.

Comment

• Rob64
                    • Mar 2018
                    • NSW

Maps for Vic Hig Country

Hi guys,

What are options best options for touring Vic High Country in regards to maps.

Paper Maps - Can you provide a specific region map/s that shows most popular tracks or should I purchase topographic maps ?

Electronic Mapping Device - Hema, VMS, others ?

Cheers in advance

Rob

Comment

• old Jack
                      Regular
                      • Jun 2011
                      • Adelaide, South Australia.

I use the paper Rooftop Maps of the HC to backup my topo's on my Garmin GPS.

OJ.
                      2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                      MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Samuel
                        • Feb 2017
                        • Melbourne

I love the Rooftop maps for detail but you need to know where you're heading and which maps you'll need, as each map only covers a select area. I've got a bunch and they have everything I need – official and unofficial campsites, track notes ('very steep' / 'track washed away 2014' / 'loose surface' etc), and things worth checking out along the way.

The Hema High Country Atlas might be better for a trip this long though. I've never used it but have heard good things.

Comment

• Merts
                          Valued Member
                          • Nov 2011
                          • Bendigo Vic

I use the Hema high country map book, along with the Hema Navigator app (with subscription for extra detailed topo maps) on my iPad. The digital version of the high country maps is preloaded with the app, and it has plenty of detail for most areas, but the topo maps have better contours and give a better idea of how steep different sections are.

Regarding your original query, there are tracks on your list that I wouldn't even consider trying to tow a camper trailer on, particularly not long after the opening following winter closures. Highway tyres will be a limitation too.

Blue rag for example isn't particularly difficult these days, but there are sections that are narrow with extreme drops on one or both sides, and I wouldn't want a trailer on the back if you have to pull to the side to allow someone to pass. There is also a section which can get very muddy and chopped up when wet, which would be difficult with highway tyres, and a complete nightmare with a camper in tow.
                          Merts
                          Impulse Blue 2015 MQ Triton GLS Auto

ARB Summit front & rear bars and side steps, Carryboy canopy and rack, Safari Snorkel, VRS 9500 winch, Gecko 16x7 rims with BFG 245/75r16 KM3s, Uniden 8080s UHF, Darche 270 awning
                          Dobinson heavy duty suspension, Harrop rear Elocker, Supertrim Neoprene Seat Covers, Drifta drawers, MSA drop slide, dual battery system and ARB onboard compressor. National Campers Hermit.

Previously a Gunmetal 2007 NS VRX DiD Auto

Comment

• Merts
                            Valued Member
                            • Nov 2011
                            • Bendigo Vic

Re tyres, I run BFG KO2s in 265/65r17. Auto behaves well and indicated speed is closer to actual than with the factory size.

Whilst 265/70r17 would be nice, be aware they are more than 50mm larger diameter than the standard tyre and therefore illegal, with associated roadworthy and insurance issues.
                            Merts
                            Impulse Blue 2015 MQ Triton GLS Auto

ARB Summit front & rear bars and side steps, Carryboy canopy and rack, Safari Snorkel, VRS 9500 winch, Gecko 16x7 rims with BFG 245/75r16 KM3s, Uniden 8080s UHF, Darche 270 awning
                            Dobinson heavy duty suspension, Harrop rear Elocker, Supertrim Neoprene Seat Covers, Drifta drawers, MSA drop slide, dual battery system and ARB onboard compressor. National Campers Hermit.

Previously a Gunmetal 2007 NS VRX DiD Auto

Comment

• BBP
                              • Oct 2007
                              • Canberra

Originally posted by Merts View Post
                              Re tyres, I run BFG KO2s in 265/65r17. Auto behaves well and indicated speed is closer to actual than with the factory size.

Whilst 265/70r17 would be nice, be aware they are more than 50mm larger diameter than the standard tyre and therefore illegal, with associated roadworthy and insurance issues.
                              What's the fuel consumption like with the bigger tyres Merts?

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X