• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bongsboy
    • Aug 2017
    • Adelaide

3.2 DiD starting issue

My 2004 NP 3.2 DiD used to start on the very first revolution but since 2 weeks ago now takes around 6-7 revs to start. It caused me to have to replace my tired battery which was 3yrs old but going well until this issue. I have done the due research on this and other forums and the general consensus is to change the starter motor and this will fix the problem. The thing is, a new starter was fitted to this vehicle less than 40,000 kms ago, by Mitsubishi, before I acquired the vehicle. I understand that the replacement could have failed but find it hard to believe that brushes could have worn out so quick.
    Can anyone explain to me why changing the starter will fix this issue. I was always under the impression that all the starter did was spin the engine until everything else came into play and the engine starts. My current starter almost flips the car over when starting without struggling so I don't understand why it could be that.
    If you thought the battery and starter were good, where would you be looking next, glow plugs?

many thanks in advance for your replies,
    Mike
  • erad
    Valued Member
    • Mar 2015
    • Cooma NSW

Have you checked the glow plugs? If one or more is stuffed it will take longer for the engine to fire up.

Comment

• GHendo
      Valued Member
      • Mar 2012
      • Northern NSW

There are a few things you could investigate. One is the glow plugs, as mentioned above, and another is the dreaded fuel pump dilemma – there is plenty about that on the forum. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but one of the symptoms of a failing pump is starting problems. If you’ve done somewhere in the vicinity of 250,000 to 300,000km., then you are right in the envelope for this problem.

Geoff
      03 NP Manual Di-D Exceed, 2" lift, Dobinsons Springs, Lovells Shocks, ORU Winch, ARB Bullbar, Scott's Rods 3" Exhaust, ARB Compressor, Rear Air Locker, Cooper S/T Maxx, Hella Rallye 4000 S/Lights, Pioneer AVH-X5850BT DVD/Tuner w/- Reversing Camera, Sensa Tyre monitor, Uniden UH8080NB UHF, Rhino Platform Roof Rack, Hema HN-7 GPS, Engine Watchdog, CouplerTec, CTEK D250S DC-DC Charger, Snorkel, Towbar.

Comment

• Nab
        Valued Member
        • Mar 2012
        • Perth

Have you changed the fuel filter lately? Maybe a fuel leak due to a loose hose.
        Also need to check the engine codes as they might have the answer.
        Or as others have said could possibly be the fuel pump....
        SOLD 2004 NP 3.2 auto
        NOW 2014 Ranger XLT auto

Comment

I'd definitely chase up the glow plugs first Mike as erad said. They're pretty simple to replace too.

Comment

• bongsboy
            • Aug 2017
            • Adelaide

thanks for the replies,
            the car has done 177,000 kms and is in really good condition, one owner from new until I got it 2.5 yrs ago. runs like a dream apart from this suddenly appearing issue. Its not like something has steadily got worse, its like something suddenly failed. it was as quick as that. I did check out the cost of new glow plugs and surprisingly they were reasonably priced!

Comment

• erad
              Valued Member
              • Mar 2015
              • Cooma NSW

Before you splash your money on the glow plugs, remove them and test them. Check the resistance. It should be very low (0.05 - 0.07 Ohms @ 20 Deg C between the electrical bus and the engine earth). This tests all 4 plugs. If you remove the plugs, the resistance should be 0.6 Ohms & 20 Deg C (4M40 engine) or 1.1 Ohms (4M41 engine). Typically the resistance will be low (good) or infiinite (in which case the plug is stuffed).

Comment

• dtd1402
                • Mar 2013
                • Victoria Australia

Similar issue happened to my NP diesel. I thought it was my battery so went and bought a new 750CCA battery but didn't solve the problem. So I went ahead and replaced the starter motor (Bosch) and now the issue is resolved. The car starts within the first 2-3 revolutions. Our engine is a high compression engine which requires strong starter motor.
                Hope this helps.

It took me 15min to do the job with 3/4" ratchet and extensions (wobble extensions).

cheers,
                Danny

Comment

• Peoplesvic
                  • Feb 2017
                  • Brisbane

Did you find out what the issue was? I have a one with much higher Km's and it always took around 5-7 starter motor revolutions to start ( In that sit sounds like the starter is being loaded or unloaded)

Comment

• 2003 NP
                    • Aug 2015
                    • Adelaide

Hi, I have a similar issue. 2003 NP DID with Intermittent starting problems. Fires up sometimes straight away and some times takes 2 or 3 goes to start. Called the RAA and they could not find the problem, battery ok etc etc. Took it to Port Side Mitsubishi and spent $90 and they advised they could not find a fault.

Comment

• Nab
                      Valued Member
                      • Mar 2012
                      • Perth

Could be the starter motor. They are pretty cheap and a pretty easy job to replace.
                      SOLD 2004 NP 3.2 auto
                      NOW 2014 Ranger XLT auto

Comment

• spot01
                        Valued Member
                        • Apr 2011
                        • Adelaide

On this model, the starter motor is located directly below the fuel filter.
                        If a lot of diesel is spilt during filter changes, it can get inside the starter motor & cause issues like slow starting or failure. Always put a large rag over the starter motor before changing the filter on these.
                        Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• crc4m41t
                          • Jun 2017
                          • Hay point

Originally posted by 2003 NP View Post
                          Hi, I have a similar issue. 2003 NP DID with Intermittent starting problems. Fires up sometimes straight away and some times takes 2 or 3 goes to start. Called the RAA and they could not find the problem, battery ok etc etc. Took it to Port Side Mitsubishi and spent $90 and they advised they could not find a fault.
                          if its winding over at a normal kinda pace ( not sounding slow like near flat battery) then nothing wrong with starter, only thing that will slow the start time down is air in lines coming from a leaking hand primer on filter or similar , or the glow plug relay is stuffing up and not turning the glow plugs on.

simple way to test is a test light or multi meter on the glow rail and turn ignition to on position a heap of times and try force the problem , or if you only notice it when cold start, or it dosent do it at all when hot

if that good, then hand pump the fuel canister before every start and if it dosent play up then its air getting in

if them few things cant find the issue then you need to start looking at things like shut off solenoid and butterfly sticking ect ect the list goes on

a diesel dosent take much to fire up as far as speed of revolutions , so long as its got fuel and when cold a little glow up

Comment

• Nab
                            Valued Member
                            • Mar 2012
                            • Perth

My starter didn’t sound much different to normal when it started causing my Paj to get hard to start. New brushes in the starter fixed the issue. Can’t explain it, just researched on here and took the advice.
                            SOLD 2004 NP 3.2 auto
                            NOW 2014 Ranger XLT auto

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X