Below Nav Bar

Collapse

Which Rear Diff Lock to Buy - TJM or Elocker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fudnut
    • Jun 2019
    • URALLA

Which Rear Diff Lock to Buy - TJM or Elocker?

Looking to fit a rear diff locker to my NT Diesel Auto, and after trawling this forum and others, decided on getting the TJM Air Locker.

Got a quote for under $2400 installed, including compressor, but the store owner asked why I didn't consider an Elocker instead, as in his opinion, they were better then the AL, and he reckoned that in the future, AL would end up taking the back seat in the electric vs air lock debate.

I did look at the Harrop Elocker, but there seemed to be an issue regarding how it works i.e. takes a half turn to engage, and commentators were saying it was a deal breaker for them.

When I mentioned this he shook his head, saying it wasn't really an issue for the greater majority of 4x4 users, as usually you've selected lock before you attempt what ever you're trying to drive over or through.

As of now, I've absolutely no experience with 4x4's, and never intend to be trying to drive "technical" or go rock hopping etc. Just normal use, towing a camper trailer around Oz, with a few sans trailer trips to the NT, Cape and central deserts.

I like the idea of not having to have a compressor and air hoses to deal with, so now I'm having 2nd thoughts. The supply & install of the elocker comes in a little less then the AL.

Any insights or advice appreciated.

cheers
    MY10 RX Diesel Auto - Work in Progress - Provent Catchcan, Donaldson Secondary Filter, EGR Delete, Diff breathers, MM Auto-Mate, Harrop eLocker (rear)
  • Merts
    Valued Member
    • Nov 2011
    • Bendigo Vic

I have an Elocker and it's been terrific. I tend to engage it before I approach a very steep climb, or before I venture into a bog-hole. It always fully engages before it's needed for me.
    Merts
    Impulse Blue 2015 MQ Triton GLS Auto

ARB Summit front & rear bars and side steps, Carryboy canopy and rack, Safari Snorkel, VRS 9500 winch, Gecko 16x7 rims with BFG 245/75r16 KM3s, Uniden 8080s UHF, Darche 270 awning
    Dobinson heavy duty suspension, Harrop rear Elocker, Supertrim Neoprene Seat Covers, Drifta drawers, MSA drop slide, dual battery system and ARB onboard compressor. National Campers Hermit.

Previously a Gunmetal 2007 NS VRX DiD Auto

Comment

• Ian Sharpe
      Valued Member
      • Nov 2000
      • Tasmania

I’ve had both types of lockers in the past , first the arb locker when it was all that was available for the Pajeros & now the Harrops e locker.
      The arb gave me trouble with oil return blowback , loss of the air line to the diff and a machining intolerance in the diff that ate 2 inner bearings before my diff guy realised what was wrong.
      The Harrops have given nil problems so far. I am aware how they work & how they unlock when reversed. In all reality that has never left me stranded & I think it’s just nit picking by guys who prefer air lockers. Both types of lockers work well & are a vast improvement over an open diff . For me I prefer the e-locker because it is silent , marginally less expensive & an easier install.
      NS shorty 3.8l petrol with winch, front/rear E-lockers
      NT shorty 3.2l tdi, pretty stock with rear locker

Comment

• Poita
        Valued Member
        • Sep 2010
        • Adelaide

I would go an elocker. Much easier to fix a broken wire than a snapped air hose and you don't need a compressor.
        NW VRX MY2013
        Jonny Tig FMIC, 3" Exhaust, RalliArt remap, Provent, FuelManager, CouplerTec rust protection, ARB bar, Runva winch, TJM Snorkel, Bilstein/Lovell/Airbags, full Bushskins kit, Asfir AC+fuel, Fyrlyt Nemesis 9000 spotties + LED headlights, Uniden UHF, RedArc TowPro Elite, BRC breathers, Honda sprayers, Automate lockup/paddles, Rhino platform/backbone

Comment

• Fudnut
          • Jun 2019
          • URALLA

Thanks for the input everyone. I'm definitely swayed towards the elocker, what with no compressor to carry and airlines to worry about. I'll update my order with TJM tomorrow.
          MY10 RX Diesel Auto - Work in Progress - Provent Catchcan, Donaldson Secondary Filter, EGR Delete, Diff breathers, MM Auto-Mate, Harrop eLocker (rear)

Comment

• Miner
            • Apr 2019
            • Abu Dhabi

Can I ask a query? How is the factory diff lock activated? Electric?

Why would you choose and air locker over a compact e-locker?

Just curious... my car has factory rear diff lock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• rgrubby
              Valued Member
              • Apr 2018
              • Wellington - NZ

Originally posted by Miner View Post
              Can I ask a query? How is the factory diff lock activated? Electric?

Why would you choose and air locker over a compact e-locker?

Just curious... my car has factory rear diff lock.

From looking on the below link section 27, it looks like air controlled

2007 NS Pajero GLS Diesel. Factory rear diff lock. Custom rear bumper. Custom side steps. Kaon and ASFIR bash plates. Cooper Evolution MT tyres. Couple of CB radios. UltraGauge. Provent 200. Traction control diff lock mod. ARB Comercial bull bar with custom brush bars and Domin8r X 12,000lb winch. Dobinsons and Kings raised springs and shocks. TJM snorkel

Comment

• Miner
                • Apr 2019
                • Abu Dhabi

Air or vacuum? Is the transfer box vacuum switched? Interesting.... thanks. [emoji41]

Comment

• old Jack
                  Regular
                  • Jun 2011
                  • Adelaide, South Australia.

Transfer Case is electromechanically activated, using an electric motor.
                  Front diff is vacuum activated, using engine vacuum.
                  Factory Rear Diff Locker is low pressure air activated, using air from an electric air pump.

OJ.
                  2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                  MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Garc
                    • May 2015
                    • Perth

I suggest you seriously think about the need. My Paj doesn’t have one and I’ve not felt the need for one in desert travel, sand hills, light mud. I reckon drive the car for a while and then see if you need one.
                    Gary

2008 NS DiD Exceed. MM factory alloy full bar, Autosafe cargo barrier, Roley's rear bash plate, Uniden 8080 UHF, Kings 120A lithium battery in rear cargo area, Renogy DCDC charger, fire ext mounted in place of rear door handle, Redarc EBC, BushSkinz IC & sump. ARB Frontier replacement fuel tank, Pedders track rider suspension. Lockup Mate.

Comment

• Merts
                      Valued Member
                      • Nov 2011
                      • Bendigo Vic

Originally posted by Garc View Post
                      I suggest you seriously think about the need. My Paj doesn’t have one and I’ve not felt the need for one in desert travel, sand hills, light mud. I reckon drive the car for a while and then see if you need one.
                      That's probably good advice. I use mine fairly often, but I spend a lot of time in the Vic high country climbing up very steep tracks. The expense may not be worth it for the sort of driving you are intending Fudnut.
                      Merts
                      Impulse Blue 2015 MQ Triton GLS Auto

ARB Summit front & rear bars and side steps, Carryboy canopy and rack, Safari Snorkel, VRS 9500 winch, Gecko 16x7 rims with BFG 245/75r16 KM3s, Uniden 8080s UHF, Darche 270 awning
                      Dobinson heavy duty suspension, Harrop rear Elocker, Supertrim Neoprene Seat Covers, Drifta drawers, MSA drop slide, dual battery system and ARB onboard compressor. National Campers Hermit.

Previously a Gunmetal 2007 NS VRX DiD Auto

Comment

• letsgoplaces
                        • Jul 2014
                        • Adelaide

Originally posted by Garc View Post
                        Originally posted by Merts View Post
                        That's probably good advice. I use mine fairly often, but I spend a lot of time in the Vic high country climbing up very steep tracks. The expense may not be worth it for the sort of driving you are intending Fudnut.
                        I have the same train of thought.
                        By the sounds of your intended use, a diff lock may not be necessary and the 4HL and 4LL with traction control should get you through. It's a very good 4wd system.
                        You also say you have no 4wd experience, so make sure to 'work up to' more difficult scenarios, and during this time you will work out if you need one.
                        It took me 3 years before fitting a rear diff lock, I went with the ProLocker, and am glad I did

Comment

• Miner
                          • Apr 2019
                          • Abu Dhabi

My car came with it (3.8L full option) and although 4H is fine for most of the time in the desert, there are times when 4HLc/4LLc and rear diff lock are handy...[emoji85][emoji1]

Comment

• Fudnut
                            • Jun 2019
                            • URALLA

Quick question, I'm having the the e-Locker fitted next week, and am wondering if there is a way to wire up the locker so that the dash display shows when the rear is locked, as it does when using the factory locker?

Comment

• Ian Sharpe
                              Valued Member
                              • Nov 2000
                              • Tasmania

Originally posted by Fudnut View Post
                              Quick question, I'm having the the e-Locker fitted next week, and am wondering if there is a way to wire up the locker so that the dash display shows when the rear is locked, as it does when using the factory locker?
                              Not sure on gen4s but I did this on my nl. I took out the instrument cluster & identified the circuit for the rear locker light & isolated it and then powered it from my arb switch . I probably think gen 4 circuitry would be a bit more complicated though
                              NS shorty 3.8l petrol with winch, front/rear E-lockers
                              NT shorty 3.2l tdi, pretty stock with rear locker

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X