Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Mechanical

Mechanical Discussion of mechanical matters

Old 16-01-20

Default Wheel rotation

hi Everyone
I've about to replace the front tires due their wearing off and low thread .
I've noticed the front right tire has more thread than the left rear.

My question is it safe to swap the Front Right tire to the Rear Left side?

it will give me 6 or 12 more months before I upgrade the rear tires.
Old 16-01-20
Valued Member

Yes, provided the tyres are matched, ie, same size, type, brand & similar wear rates.

Obviously having tyres of quite different wear rates front & rear isn't as safe as a full new set & it can sometimes cause the 4WD system to have issues in these cars - the handbook says to have all 4 tyres matched.
Old 16-01-20

Quote:
Originally Posted by spot01 View Post
Yes, provided the tyres are matched, ie, same size, type, brand & similar wear rates.

Obviously having tyres of quite different wear rates front & rear isn't as safe as a full new set & it can sometimes cause the 4WD system to have issues in these cars - the handbook says to have all 4 tyres matched.
thanks,
yes it's the same tyre brand with size, age and kms done.
they've been rotated regularly but it looks like it was same side rotation done eg. rear right to front right and the same on the left side.
I guess there's wasn't any cross over rotation done, that's why left side has less thread on both tires than the right one.
Old 16-01-20

As long as the tyres aren't directional, in which case they should have an arrow showing the direction they are designed to rotate.

I do a 5 tyre rotation on mine, each tyre gets a turn in each position. Rotating the spare through keeps the wear consistent across all of them, so I won't end up with mismatched diameter if I get a puncture
2007 NS Pajero GLS Diesel. Factory rear diff lock. Custom rear bumper guard. Custom side steps. Boos front three 3mm bash plates. Maxxis AT980. Couple of CB radios. Provent 200. Traction control diff lock mod. ASFIR hidden winch mount with Domin8r X 12,000lb winch. Dobinsons raised springs and shocks. TJM snorkel
Old 16-01-20

Needs to be diagonally opposed... front left to rear right, etc...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 16-01-20
Valued Member

I also do 5 tyre rptation so each tyre goes on every corner of the Paj......no issues swapping tyres around. Below pic is the rotation I follow, have done for years.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20200116-202749_Samsung Internet.jpg (41.4 KB, 13 views)

Previously
88 NF SWB 2.6 manual
92 NH LWB 3.0 auto
92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
95 NJ SWB 3.0 auto
99 Cruiser 4.5 manual with all the fruit
Old 16-01-20
Valued Member

Recommended tyre rotation sequence is shown in the owners handbook. They have 2 systems - one for 4 wheels rotation and the other for 5 wheels. If you just rotate forward to back, the left tyres will wear faster than the right because of the extra loading due to road camber.
Old 16-01-20
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussieintas View Post
I also do 5 tyre rptation so each tyre goes on every corner of the Paj......no issues swapping tyres around. Below pic is the rotation I follow, have done for years.
X2. Done it like this for years and generally have pretty even wear on all the tyres on all my 4x4s. Always do the spare too, no point paying $250+ for a tyre to sit unused...
Old 16-01-20
Resident

I'm too pedantic for that.

Lately, I've been using a tread depth gauge to check the tread depth of all 5 tyres, across the face, and decide which tyre I want to go where.

1. The two best tyres go on the rear (expected to be the highest wear)
2. The worst tyre goes on the spare (why wear the most worn tyre?)
3. The others go on the front.

I cross sides (change direction of rotation) wherever I can.

Today, I paid somebody to do it, because I'm going away next week and things were getting tight for doing it myself.

I ordered a three tyre rotation at the rear - spare to RL, RL to RR, RR to spare.

The fronts have more tread than the spare, but show signs that I've been running under-inflated - tread is deepest in the middle, shallowest on outside edges. So (because I was paying a tyre shop) I had them flipped on the rims and re-installed in the original positions.

So

1. my worst tyre is now my spare,
2. the rear that remains in service (with even wear across the face) has swapped direction, and
3. the fronts have swapped direction and the less worn (inner) edge has been swapped to become the faster wearing outside edge.

For the next 10k km, I'll run the fronts at higher pressure, and continue to set rear pressures in line with what I've been doing.

A simple pattern rotation wouldn't help to compensate for the uneven wear I've been experiencing.

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box
Old 17-01-20
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussieintas View Post
X3. I have had BFG KO2s since new and have done a 5 tyre rotatiion every 5000k. I have just ticked over 100k in 4 years with at least another 10k to 15k left in them.