Below Nav Bar

Collapse

Decision time. Replace the Paj with a Triton ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ian H
    Valued Member
    • May 2015
    • Melbourne

Decision time. Replace the Paj with a Triton ?

So I've sold my caravan and ordered a new one which is being built.

It's heavier, being a 17'6 Goldstream coming in at an ATM of around 2540kg. (Yes, I'm aware of the drop in ball weight to 180kg if it's over 2500 but it won't be loaded to that level). It's unlaiden ball weight is expected to be 160kg.

Last trip on to some scales with the Paj fully loaded was 2885kg, giving me an extra 145kg to add before I'm illegal. That had the aux fuel tank full so I can easily keep that close to empty which adds about 50kg to my allowance. The issue will be weight on the rear axle but a WDH will help that.

What I'm thinking is that the Paj is getting very close to the allowances and maybe it's time to think about a change.

The caravan place raves about the Isuzu D Max as a tow tug and while it does do the numbers easily, it's not a great looking vehicle and very basic inside.

The Triton however is a really good looking truck, particularly in the internal fit out. But the main plus is the Super Select 4WD system like the Paj has, which kills any other 4WD system on the market. I really don't want to go backwards but what worries me is the 2.4L motor. If it was 3.oL I'd just buy one but what's going through my mind is the question of will the 2.4L be enough and will I regret it if I move that way.

I'm thinking maybe I'll see how the Paj goes and get to the weighbridge when I pick up the caravan next month. But it does worry me.

Any Triton owners towing 2.5ton out there who can give me some feedback ?

Please help, I don't want to buy an Isuzu.
    2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.
  • craka
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2009
    • Newcastle (Newie)

Originally posted by Ian H View Post
    So I've sold my caravan and ordered a new one which is being built.

It's heavier, being a 17'6 Goldstream coming in at an ATM of around 2540kg. (Yes, I'm aware of the drop in ball weight to 180kg if it's over 2500 but it won't be loaded to that level). It's unlaiden ball weight is expected to be 160kg.

Last trip on to some scales with the Paj fully loaded was 2885kg, giving me an extra 145kg to add before I'm illegal. That had the aux fuel tank full so I can easily keep that close to empty which adds about 50kg to my allowance. The issue will be weight on the rear axle but a WDH will help that.

What I'm thinking is that the Paj is getting very close to the allowances and maybe it's time to think about a change.

The caravan place raves about the Isuzu D Max as a tow tug and while it does do the numbers easily, it's not a great looking vehicle and very basic inside.

The Triton however is a really good looking truck, particularly in the internal fit out. But the main plus is the Super Select 4WD system like the Paj has, which kills any other 4WD system on the market. I really don't want to go backwards but what worries me is the 2.4L motor. If it was 3.oL I'd just buy one but what's going through my mind is the question of will the 2.4L be enough and will I regret it if I move that way.

I'm thinking maybe I'll see how the Paj goes and get to the weighbridge when I pick up the caravan next month. But it does worry me.

Any Triton owners towing 2.5ton out there who can give me some feedback ?

Please help, I don't want to buy an Isuzu.
    Take this how you will, it's not first hand experience. An ex work mate went from towing with a Gen3 pajero upgrading to a new triton at the time (2013/14 ish) which had the 2.5 DID , had it for a while but for whatever reason didn't like towing with it, I'm not sure if it was power related or handling wise, but he went back to a pajero with a new one in about 2016.
    NS SWB X 3.2DiD - Factory locker, Hella spotties, GME UHF, 2" lift

Retired: 1991 NH SWB 3.0L V6 5sp Manual, Mickey Thompson ATZs, GME UHF TX3200.

Comment

• old Jack
      Regular
      • Jun 2011
      • Adelaide, South Australia.

Hi Ian,

Most people who tow heavy are in denial so you are unlikely to get a true indication.

I do not like dual cabs because the rear overhang is really long so this transfers extra weight off the front axle on to the rear axle and the leverage of the trailer over the vehicle is increased. A slightly longer wheel base and rear leaf suspension will negate some but not all of these effects.

Despite spending thousands of dollars on a lockable sealed canopy I am yet to see a canopy that is dust proof, I know the Pajero lets dust in via the rear door and rear quarter panel vents but this is insignificant compared to a dual cab.

The only reason the Gen 4 Pajero has a down rated ball load is because of the soft rear coils. Whilst you can over come this with a suspension change it is the certification which is the problem. This could be easily fixed if you could find a certifying engineer who would carry out actual load test and measure the rear ride height. If at full axle load the ride height is above the minimum legal limit as per the RVCS data then there is no reason why the towball download cannot be certified to 300kg if you have a heavy duty towbar fitted. We are not talking about an increase in GVM or GCM although a GVM upgrade of 130kg which is up to the rear axle load limit would be handy.
      Surprisingly even the factory specification HT passenger tyre's are more than adequate for this upgrade.

OJ.
      2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
      MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Dicko1
        Valued Member
        • Dec 2014
        • Cairns, FNQ

Why not get rid of the long range tank and the drawers. That would be close to 100kg saving. . No way would I go from a proven 3.2 to a 2.4...No way will the 2.4 last as long as the 3.2. Twin cabs are commercial vehicles as far as I,m concerned. Lighten some of the load in the van...For some ridiculous reason vans are getting heavier instead of lighter....probably now made for glampers who must have all of their home comforts...not applying this to you Ian. Stay with the Paj and do some lightening. I just ditched one of rear tub agms to save 33kg...I also am getting close to limit . Glad I dont have an arb bar and winch.
        The rear tub access is also a pain in the arse.

Your meant to go forward in life..not backwards!!
        Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• Ian H
          Valued Member
          • May 2015
          • Melbourne

You guys are convincing me to keep the Paj.

I love that truck and it's so good on the tracks in the high country. The utes have the same approach and departure angles the Paj has, which is another negative.

I hear ya Dicko but the extra tank was almost a necessity when we went outback with the Tvan in tow. I'd really miss that extra 58L. But I won't need it for the areas we are going when towing the new caravan so I'll certainly save some load there. I'll also check all the junk I have under the drawers too but again, I'd miss the drawers if they weren't there. I've already got rid of the heavy set from 4WD Supastore (70kg empty!) and replaced them with Drifta which are half the weight.

Maybe I'll leave the wife at home
          2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• 2bad4u
            Valued Member
            • Jun 2009
            • Perth, Western Australia

Since I got my new van I have been having a “tidy” up and getting rid of some weight as I was getting close to the limit. It’s amazing how much stuff you don’t actually use yet carry it with you everywhere. One thing I did was get rid of my rear shelf setup and went to plastic tubs. I also only carry the basics in tools and recovery gear. I’ve save enough weight that I am now going to put a winch on and still have spare capacity.
            Warren
            2012 NW DiD Activ - Retired
            2023 Nissan Y62 Patrol Ti

Comment

• Dicko1
              Valued Member
              • Dec 2014
              • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by 2bad4u View Post
              Since I got my new van I have been having a “tidy” up and getting rid of some weight as I was getting close to the limit. It’s amazing how much stuff you don’t actually use yet carry it with you everywhere. One thing I did was get rid of my rear shelf setup and went to plastic tubs. I also only carry the basics in tools and recovery gear. I’ve save enough weight that I am now going to put a winch on and still have spare capacity.

I,ve just purchased a Austrack Telegraph X. I,m lucky that I am able to mount the 20hp 4 stroke on the rear end. With careful loading I can get the ball weight to around 200kg. Not too bad for nearly 2 tonne of camper, boat, motor, fold up trailer etc. Forward folds are notoriously ball heavy. I think the next move will be a lithium battery in the rear tub of Paj. I have about a dozen heavy duty fish tubs with lids. Far better than drawers. Weigh less, easy to sort and space efficient...worth a look Ian. Realistically you will need bugger all recovery gear if your not going off road and are towing a van...roadside assist is the best recovery gear for bitumen.
              Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• paceman
                Valued Member
                • Feb 2018
                • Mackay

Originally posted by Dicko1 View Post
                I have about a dozen heavy duty fish tubs with lids. Far better than drawers. Weigh less, easy to sort and space efficient...worth a look Ian

Hey mate...

Have you got some pics of your tub setup in the Paj? Would be interested to see it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                Paceman's NT Pajero

Comment

• 2bad4u
                  Valued Member
                  • Jun 2009
                  • Perth, Western Australia

Originally posted by paceman View Post
                  Hey mate...

Have you got some pics of your tub setup in the Paj? Would be interested to see it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  i got 50L stackable ones from Bunnings for $15ea and I just load which ever ones I need. I have one each for fishing, recovery, work, spares and just a spare one for odds and ends. I usually only have 1 in the car but on a beach fishing trip I will have 3.

The good thing is that I can stack them on one side and there is still room on the other side for my Engel.

Here's the link -----> https://www.bunnings.com.au/ezy-stor...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
                  Warren
                  2012 NW DiD Activ - Retired
                  2023 Nissan Y62 Patrol Ti

Comment

• Jasonmc73
                    Valued Member
                    • Jun 2019
                    • Brisbane

I tow with a Triton regulary above 1.5 tonnes & up too 2.5tonnish, not a lot of wind resitance, trailer with machinery, no load in the ute.

You'll know you have 2200kg'sish behind you thats for sure, but as far as engine performance, it does perform.

I drove 2 x Nissan Navara's same work for 14 years & this Triton out performs both & one was a 3 litre engine.
                    The smaller later model Navara engine was a real dog, but never failed.
                    Turbo lag real bad & real problem towing, but yeah get use to it.

Although not sure what it is but low k's on Triton I don't reckon it feels like it is stuck to the road like the Navara's were? Most noticeable at speed, curving roads, maybe i'm just getting older & sooking LOL!
                    Like any ute not flash for comfort & this one is 2014 model & seats like plank of wood.
                    But doesn't bother me you get use to it.

250,000k's to me is far enough for one of these utes

D-Max engine no timing belt 3 litre donk they say is rock solid & pretty sure Aisin auto tranny, good on fuel no DPF issues, has been known to crack body above front strut mount area as do MUX's, definately, in rough going.
                    But maybe been adressed??

Pajero I don't own one, but I intend too although payload does bother me.

Otherwise I would prefer D-Max not Triton, but you'll pay for it as well!
                    Isuzu has been in the market for a very long time.

I see Mazda will be selling Isuzu platform 2021ish, that could be an interesting ute. Mazda in my opinion finish vehicles well & if the interior was Mazda & running gear Aisin & Isuzu, sounds like a good mix too me in theory.

As OJ has pointed out, Canopy isn't dust proof? + cost of canopy $4kish, rides like a bucket of bolts & muck about with rear suspension, load tub, bullbar on the nose, heavy ball weights, rough roads you can snap the chassis. She's no Land Cruiser

Pajero wins on value for money, reliabilty proven, drives better than a ute & no canopy required, wife & kids also approve LOL, athough burns bit of juice!

If money was no object I would own one of these,

DMW are proud to present our Toyota Landcruiser XT200 Dual Cab Ute Conversion, the complete vehicle package for serious 4WD adventurers, farmers and tradies who need the best of both worlds, or for those that want the ultimate tourer for their around Australia trip. Terms & conditions apply for 200 Series Cab Chass
                    Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

• Ian H
                      Valued Member
                      • May 2015
                      • Melbourne

Thanks Jason, good info there.

Comment

• Greg Grey Grumbly
                        • Aug 2012
                        • Brisbane, Southside

OK I’ll pop my head above the trenches, why on earth would you not consider a Pajero Sport? After all,it’s basically a Triton with an eight speed gearbox that locks up in third thru eighth, is comfortable and a nice drive when not towing.

I can speak from experience having towed an 18.5 ft 2600 atm van on the big lap with an NT Paj where the Paj did really well. But now having had the Paj Sport for over a year, and having towed the same rig to remote Eyre Peninsula and back along with other side trips, the Paj Sport does it better, with typically a standard tow seeing 100 kmh in seventh gear locked up at just on 2000 rpm. I’ve done a few modifications to it, but certainly on dirt it’s much better.

Just my opinion, not looking for world war three as I was a doubter, but I must say that the modern design really is excellent.

Greg
                        Greg Grey Grumbly

2018 QE Pajero Sport GLS, Factory Accessories: Alloy Bull Bar, Tow Bar, Underbody Protection, Aftermarket: Uniden CB, Redarc Electric Brake Controller, Bushman Cooler, Rhino Roof Bars; Full Tint, OCAM Extendable Tow Mirrors, Fridge Tie Down Racks, Kickass Battery Box with Projecta DC DC charger, King KCRS-23 with the Peddars 5899 bump stops, Almac Boat Loader, Almac Outboard Slide, Provent catch can, More to come
                        Tows a 2015 Billabong Grove 186

Comment

• Jasonmc73
                          Valued Member
                          • Jun 2019
                          • Brisbane

Originally posted by Greg Grey Grumbly View Post
                          OK I’ll pop my head above the trenches, why on earth would you not consider a Pajero Sport? After all,it’s basically a Triton with an eight speed gearbox that locks up in third thru eighth, is comfortable and a nice drive when not towing.

I can speak from experience having towed an 18.5 ft 2600 atm van on the big lap with an NT Paj where the Paj did really well. But now having had the Paj Sport for over a year, and having towed the same rig to remote Eyre Peninsula and back along with other side trips, the Paj Sport does it better, with typically a standard tow seeing 100 kmh in seventh gear locked up at just on 2000 rpm. I’ve done a few modifications to it, but certainly on dirt it’s much better.

Just my opinion, not looking for world war three as I was a doubter, but I must say that the modern design really is excellent.

Greg
                          Triton wagon/ Pajero Sport, can you get a GVM upgrade at all?

If you could probably be not a bad vehicle for 250 to 300 000K's looked after.

The OP originally suggested he had a Payload problem & that's what I can see with Pajero Sport for me personally.

600KG Payload & 80KG roof load, which is fine if there is only a couple with no mods to vehicle, otherwise 600kg payload will be exceeded very fast with 250kg ball weight added to vehicle.

250KG Ball weight + 25kg's towbar (Conservative) 150KG for 2 x adults,
                          40 Kg's decent set of tyres is = 465KG's
                          Leaves Payload 135Kg's left with no bash plates on the vehicle
                          Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

• Ian H
                            Valued Member
                            • May 2015
                            • Melbourne

I'd love a Sport but Jason is Sport on, the payload is the issue and the Sport has a lot less than the NX. It's getting down to the same payload as a Land Cruiser and they fail at the rate of 67% according to the guy from Weight Station.

GCM isn't the problem, it's all to do with GVM and weight on the rear axle.

That's why the utes are good, they generally have payloads around (and over) 1,000kg.

Comment

• Greg Grey Grumbly
                              • Aug 2012
                              • Brisbane, Southside

Valid points Jason, I have not researched if the GVM can be upgraded, but would think that it could be, based on the basic ladder frame Triton construction.

As for the weight problem, caravanning is always about trade-offs, you put something in you usually have to take something out. An example is a generator which I don’t carry, but others would see that as an essential. The 80kg roof limit is another tight one but I now carry a tinny that weighs in at 63kg, so with racks and a removable home built boat loader, I can stay under the roof limit.

As well I chose a 10hp two stroke outboard that weighs only 26kg and is carried in the cargo space on an Almac slide. But I don’t have drawers in the back which are heavy and in my case unnecessary. I’ve also upgraded the rear springs and having now been away few times now with the tinny it all works pretty well.

I come out of the aircraft game where weight trade off is a daily activity and something I’m always thinking about. Every trip away I end up taking something out.

Greg
                              Greg Grey Grumbly

2018 QE Pajero Sport GLS, Factory Accessories: Alloy Bull Bar, Tow Bar, Underbody Protection, Aftermarket: Uniden CB, Redarc Electric Brake Controller, Bushman Cooler, Rhino Roof Bars; Full Tint, OCAM Extendable Tow Mirrors, Fridge Tie Down Racks, Kickass Battery Box with Projecta DC DC charger, King KCRS-23 with the Peddars 5899 bump stops, Almac Boat Loader, Almac Outboard Slide, Provent catch can, More to come
                              Tows a 2015 Billabong Grove 186

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X