Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 3 Pajero

Generation 3 Pajero NM - NP Models 2000 - 2006

Old 16-01-20

Default Tyre scrub inner edge NP DiD

Gíday all,

Weíre on a road trip atm and have noticed that the inner edge of all four tyres are wearing quicker than the rest of the tyre.

Anyone got any ideas on what the issue might be? I havenít had an alignment done since getting the car over 12 months ago and doubt weíll have time to get one I. The next two days.

Cheers

Bennie
Old 16-01-20
Valued Member

if you are only having the problem when travelling then chances are your wheel alignment is incorrect for the loads you are carrying and the spring rates of your suspension.

What are your ride heights on all 4 corners, measure from centre of wheel hub to underside of wheel arch in a vertical line.

OJ.
2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .
Old 16-01-20
Valued Member

Start with an alignment asap - make sure it is all 4 wheels, as the rears have adjustment (which hopefully hasn't seized) on these cars.

What pressures are you running, what type of tyres & how heavily loaded? You could try more pressure until you get the alignment done, but it will probably keep scrubbing until then.
Old 17-01-20

Thanks Old Jack and Spot,

I’ll have to get a tape measure to get the measurements asked.. Psi is 32. I had it firmer pror to the trip but decided to drop pressure a little.

And I’ll have to find somewhere that can do a four wheel alignment on short notice - and entertain the family while it’s all being done.... or sacrifice four tyres and deal with it once home. We’re currently north of Brissy.

Cheers

Bennie
Old 18-01-20

Most big tyre shops are set up for 4 wheel alignment these days.

Even after an alignment the inner edges will appear to be wearing out on your return journey.

The tyres will be wearing evenly but you will notice it more on the scrubbed edges.

New tyres when you get home!

Cheers
Dave
Old 18-01-20
Resident

Wow! 32 psi sounds luxurious. I've just rotated my Toyo MTs, and the fronts have been under-inflated at 36 psi cold, which corresponds to about 40psi hot. I'm getting ready to go away for a couple of weeks, so this morning I pumped my tyres up to 40 front / 44 rear - those are stone cold pressures, so I expect to see 44 front and over 50 rear after a few hours on the highway.

But I digress - sorry.

If it's only the inside edges then either your tyres are scrubbing due to toe-out, or you have too much negative camber i.e. / \ instead of | |.

If it's a toe problem your tread will be "feathering". Run the palm of your hand backwards and forwards across the face of your tread - the edges of the tread blocks should feel about the same in both directions. If they seem to "grab" your palm more in one direction than the other, I'll guess you have a toe problem - and you'll now have dirty palms.

If you don't notice a difference on your palm, then it's probably too much camber - due to springs compressing under load. If your Pajero's last wheel alignment was done with the vehicle lightly loaded and sitting higher then it won't be correct while you're sitting lower under a full load.

If you can visibly see the extra wear on the inside of your tyres you should also check the middle and outside edges. The best way to do this is with a tread depth gauge, but they're not necessarily easy to find. Try a coin instead - pick a "busy" part of the design on the coin, and see how much of the design is visible when you put the coin into the tread groove on the inside, middle and outside of the tyre. If you have more tread depth in the middle than the outside then your comfortable ride is also contributing to your tyre wear.

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box
Old 18-01-20

Thanks roofchop and no swb - 32 psi is still above the recommended tyre pressures of 29, which I think is exceptionally low. I usually run out pressures at 36psi but it seems I should be going higher than that in the Pajero.

For now I’ll up the pressures and get an alignment most likely Monday unless by some miracle I can sort an alignment on a Sunday, or even this arvo onour travels.

All tyres are feathered

Cheers

Bennie
Old 19-01-20

When you get the alignment done, ask them to put never seize into all of the adjustment bolts- they can seize otherwise over time. When I bought my NP, 3/4 of the adjustment bolts were seized and I believe this issue is semi common
Old 20-01-20

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Freddo View Post
Thanks roofchop and no swb - 32 psi is still above the recommended tyre pressures of 29, which I think is exceptionally low. I usually run out pressures at 36psi but it seems I should be going higher than that in the Pajero.

For now Iíll up the pressures and get an alignment most likely Monday unless by some miracle I can sort an alignment on a Sunday, or even this arvo onour travels.

All tyres are feathered

Cheers

Bennie

I wouldn't stress too much about the feathering; they'll just make a horrible noise, but they'll still last a while. Scrubbing out is a different issue though - I'd get a wheel alignment done sooner rather than later lol.

Our NP had really badly feathered tyres all round before we took it outback in 2018, the noise was getting really annoying! I took it to a tyre joint & he just shrugged his shoulders & wanted to sell me new tyres. I decided that as they were going to get chipped up on the dirt roads anyway, to leave them on & change them when we got back.

We took it up from White Cliffs to Wanaaring, then out through the Hamilton Gate to Thargo, then onto Windorah via Toompine & Quilpie. Out to Haddon Corner, Betoota, onto Birdsville, Bedourie & Boulia. Down the Plenty to Alice, then home to Adelaide via the Stuart Hwy - No tyre dramas whatsoever!

Those tyres are still on the car! (and they're still as noisy as ever lol)
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Iíve upped the tyre pressure and this seems to have reduced the visible wearing of the inner edge. Iíll put more air in tomorrow before we head for home.

We havenít had a chance to book in to a place for an alignment. So weíll just do it once home again.

Weíve done Bendigo (Vic) -> Naranba (Qld) -> Big Pineapple -> Brissy (drive past it on a tollway, sort of counts) -> Coffs Harbour through the back country (NSW) -> Big Banana (totally worth it compared to the big pineapple) -> Manly Beach and several crossings of the big coat hanger before ending up in the ACT currently.

The NP has not skipped a beat! Hopefully the toolbox remains untouched if our last leg home tomorrow.

Thanks everyone for their input on this matter. Itíll be time to look into suspension setup properly now that we have the 81L aux tank fitted (totally awesome!).

Cheers

Bennie