Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 3 Pajero

Generation 3 Pajero NM - NP Models 2000 - 2006

Old 21-01-20

Default Water coolant supply bottle empty

Hi
Went on a trip and had to buy coolant for the Pajero 2003 3,2 DiD and could only find blue coloured coolant. I topped up the coolant bottle twice from empty over 6 days. When I returned home the radiator coolant was still green like. No discolouration at all. Topped coolant bottle half and over anther 5 days coolant bottle was empty but radiator still full of green coolant.Any ideas. No water leaks under the vehicle at all.

Regards Ricky
Old 21-01-20
Valued Member

You shouldn't mix difference colour coolant as if of different type can gel up.

When engine is cool have you checked that the radiator still has coolant?

Retired: 1991 NH SWB 3.0L V6 5sp Manual, Mickey Thompson ATZs, GME UHF TX3200.
Wanting: Rocksliders, 2" lift, snorkel or perhaps I should wait and purchase a NS swb in 12months time.
Old 21-01-20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
Hi
Went on a trip and had to buy coolant for the Pajero 2003 3,2 DiD and could only find blue coloured coolant. I topped up the coolant bottle twice from empty over 6 days. When I returned home the radiator coolant was still green like. No discolouration at all. Topped coolant bottle half and over anther 5 days coolant bottle was empty but radiator still full of green coolant.Any ideas. No water leaks under the vehicle at all.

Regards Ricky

G'day Ricardo, the blue coolant put into our petrol NP during a radiator flush turned dark green pretty much as soon as the engine was started.

I hope that answers your question
Old 22-01-20
Valued Member

You can loose level if you have water evaporation or you have a leak. In the first case you fill with distilled water in the second with the same coolant it has.

If not sure what the problem is then i would fill only with water as its water the liquid that cools the system ( the glycol or other aditive just improves freezing and boiling points of water but do not transport heat)
If you are loosing level due to evaporation and fill with colant you will be concentrating and decreasing the cooling capacity of the system.
2009 SWB NS 3.2 DOHC DID AT 265/70/17 BFG AT/KO, OME SD Springs +4 Rear locker, 8.500 Lbs Winch...new toy!!!
Old 24-01-20

LWB? Check the rear coolant pipes for leaks. I lost coolant and found a small dripping leak from one of the pipes in the bend down to the hoses to the heater.
Old 25-01-20

I think I am going to flush and refill. Thanks for the input