Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Electrical / Radios

Electrical / Radios Discussion of electrical systems and accessories.

Old 30-06-16
Valued Member

Default MPPT Solar charger for under bonnet use

Hi all,

I have a 160W (2x 80 folding panels) for camping, just an ebay job with a cheap MPPT charger stuck to the back of it.

Looking for a better quality MPPT that I can stick to the side of the battery tray and just run a cable with an Anderson to the front of the car to plug the panels in. So plan would be to ditch the cheap MPPT charger on the back of the panels.

But I can't seem to find any that specify that they are OK to use under bonnet. Any suggestions?

Was looking at this one: (I get thee wholesale)
http://www.altronics.com.au/p/n2026-...solar-charger/

Cheers Pete
Jonny Tig FMIC, 3" Exhaust, RalliArt remap, Provent, FuelManager, CouplerTec rust protection, ARB bar, Runva winch, TJM Snorkel, Bilstein/Lovell/Airbags, full Bushskins kit, Asfir AC+fuel, Stedi driving/fog light combo + LED headlights, dual battery, Uniden UHF, RedArc TowPro Elite, BRC breathers, Honda sprayers, Automate lockup/paddles, Rhino platform/backbone
Old 30-06-16

Just a suggestion, why not use the MPPT reg you are taking off the panels and fit it in the engine bay and see if it lasts?
Old 30-06-16
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivesafe View Post
Just a suggestion, why not use the MPPT reg you are taking off the panels and fit it in the engine bay and see if it lasts?
I had that thought, but I have a bit (too much) OCD, so if I am going to drill holes in my nice shiny battery tray, I would rather it be for a decent MPPT. The one on the panels works, but when the whole setup costs $230 it won't be too flash. Right now I am just researching to see what is available so when this one dies, I have the info ready to go.

We have a few week trip planned at the end of the year where we will be relying on it, so tempted to just replace it anyway to be safe and get a decent setup completed.
Jonny Tig FMIC, 3" Exhaust, RalliArt remap, Provent, FuelManager, CouplerTec rust protection, ARB bar, Runva winch, TJM Snorkel, Bilstein/Lovell/Airbags, full Bushskins kit, Asfir AC+fuel, Stedi driving/fog light combo + LED headlights, dual battery, Uniden UHF, RedArc TowPro Elite, BRC breathers, Honda sprayers, Automate lockup/paddles, Rhino platform/backbone
Old 30-06-16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poita View Post
if I am going to drill holes in my nice shiny battery tray, I would rather it be for a decent MPPT.
To save drilling holes, just use industrial double sided tape.

I have been using this for around 12-13 years to hold DBS Isolators in place and works a treat.
Old 30-06-16
Valued Member

That's a good idea! I use it for all sorts of stuff, never thought of using it in the engine bay though,
Old 01-07-16
Valued Member

Well I just had a win! Sent a company an email last night asking about their MPPT charger and how dust/waterproof it is. Get a phone call this morning, they have just finished developing a brand new model which is all potted and sealed. They saw that I run an electronics business and am into 4wding, so are happy to send me one for free if I will do a review for them over the next month of so.
Probably not the best time of year given their is pretty much zero sunlight but I am excited, I never get free stuff!
Old 01-07-16

Thats a good result and it is actually a good time of year to carry out testing for them.

If it works well at this time of year, it will be fine for the rest of the year.
Old 06-10-16
Valued Member

Just an update on this one.
I have installed the MPPT charger using heavy duty double sided tape to my battery tray and run a 6mmsq cable to the front of the car terminated in a Anderson on the nudge bar tucked away out of site.
Have used it a few times now and it works an treat, really happy with it.

So if you are looking for a decent MPPT charger give these guys a go. Australian company so you will be supporting local!
http://www.gsl.com.au/mppt12p.html