Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Mechanical

Mechanical Discussion of mechanical matters

Old 17-02-16

Default Lancer owners past and present

Hi all,
My wife has a 2007 Lancer. We have had it a bit over 12 months and so far great car except every morning as she backs out of the shed the brakes moan if she touches them.
They don't squeal it's more like a moaning sound.
Only happens in the morning any time of year.
So I thought it must be the handbrake shoes dragging or or not releasing properly.
Had a pink slip done last week and asked the mechanic about it and he cleaned the dust out of the handbrake drums and champhered the sides of the hand brake shoes.
Seemed to have made it worse.
Any ideas of were to go from here.

Terry
2005 NP GLX DiD,Alloy bullbar, Rallye 2000 driving lights, dual batteries,icomm UHF, 2" lift Ultimate Suspension, HD front,SD back with Ironman air bags, TJM underbody protection, HD valve body and Torque Converter. In tow,Track Trailer T van.
Old 17-02-16
Valued Member

Presuming this has rear disc brakes? Is it not just a little bit of surface rust occuring on the disc overnight from moisture ?

Retired: 1991 NH SWB 3.0L V6 5sp Manual, Mickey Thompson ATZs, GME UHF TX3200.
Wanting: Rocksliders, 2" lift, snorkel or perhaps I should wait and purchase a NS swb in 12months time.
Old 17-02-16

Yep rear discs. Never had that with any cars we have had and the Paj is parked next to it and doesn't do it.
Anyway minor inconvenience.
2005 NP GLX DiD,Alloy bullbar, Rallye 2000 driving lights, dual batteries,icomm UHF, 2" lift Ultimate Suspension, HD front,SD back with Ironman air bags, TJM underbody protection, HD valve body and Torque Converter. In tow,Track Trailer T van.

Last edited by Terryo; 18-02-16 at 04:10 PM.
Old 17-02-16
Valued Member

Change the rear pads for a softer compound. I'll bet they have metal in the compound and are rusting overnight. My Alfa does it after a wash and an overnight sit.
Old 18-02-16

Will have a look and see if I can see what type of pads it has on the weekend.
Old 17-03-16

Default brake noise when reversing

not an uncommon complaint in recent years. as the previous member suggested it is most likely brake pad compound (never used to have this problem in the "bad old days" of asbestos pads). you can try champhering edges of pads, deglazing rotors & applying anti squeal to rear of pads but any improvement will most likely be only temporary.
Old 17-03-16
Administrator

Daughter has the Lancer and complained about same noise in reverse.
Nothing to worry about as pads clamped o/night with handbrake on a take a few seconds to loosen.
Dave
Old 14-01-17

The noisy brake problem had been getting slowly worse. Got a recall notice for the airbag fault with this model. Got the dealer to look at the brake problem while they had it. Said it needed a 4 wheel brake disc machine. Job done and no more noisy brakes.
Old 21-10-18

Was looking for another post and came across this old one of mine.

So got the new air bag and the discs machined. All good for a couple of months then it started again.

Went to another mechanic for a pink slip and mentioned it to him. Said we might need new discs but could try and machine them again.
All good for a couple of more months and the noise returned and slowly got worse.

So ended up getting the rear discs replaced along with new pads about 6 months ago and no more noise.

Has been a briliant car other than that and a new radiator. The old one packed it in one Christmas Eve so a great time of year to try and get a replacment with the wife needing the car for work over the Christmas period. But lucky the local Repco happened to have one in stock.

The 2.4 motor has a lot of go in it and makes me realise the EVO must be a weapon.

Terry
Old 21-10-18
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryo View Post
Was looking for another post and came across this old one of mine.

So got the new air bag and the discs machined. All good for a couple of months then it started again.

Went to another mechanic for a pink slip and mentioned it to him. Said we might need new discs but could try and machine them again.
All good for a couple of more months and the noise returned and slowly got worse.

So ended up getting the rear discs replaced along with new pads about 6 months ago and no more noise.

Has been a briliant car other than that and a new radiator. The old one packed it in one Christmas Eve so a great time of year to try and get a replacment with the wife needing the car for work over the Christmas period. But lucky the local Repco happened to have one in stock.

The 2.4 motor has a lot of go in it and makes me realise the EVO must be a weapon.

Terry
good to hear you got it sorted ... Lancer's a are a great car ... (EvoVII my fav)...

2012 PB Challenger LS (Manual) - OZtec shocks front & rear with King Springs (lift 2 inch) , 22 inch front #plate light bar, roof racks & basket, Bridgestone Duelers 697 LT A/T,Dash cam, 2 way radio 80 channel, Ipod connected via glove box usb, Waeco cf50, Garmin gps (with topo), Opticoat + paint protection, Nilrust proofing, Roosystems Ecu Remap