Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Electrical / Radios

Electrical / Radios Discussion of electrical systems and accessories.

Old 14-06-14
Valued Member

Default Headlight upgrade,,

Hi all , ,
Well after upgrading my bulbs in the factory headlights, I'm still not happy with the light output from them, even upgrading the wiring to them seems to do very little, so I'm considering replacement options, either the VRX units which I can chase through wreckers or these ones (in the pic) with the hid upgrade ,,just not sure if they will actually work better ?,
Has anybody used these before ? And are they any good?,
Or do you guys have any other suggestions ?,
These winter nights are starting to make me realise how bad the lights actually are again, especially noticeable when I go from mega led lighting hi beam to low nothing beam!
Cheers cam.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (181.9 KB, 129 views)
NX ARB bar totally stock,, for now and the trusty old NM Exceed ,Injected LPG. ARB Sahara bar 12000lb Tigerz11winch,Lightforce genisis ,2x stealth LED bars, rear LED reverse light, GU Patrol black wheels 32"BFGs ,custom alloy roof rack with twin awnings,, snorkel, Milford barrier, custom rear storage ,triple batteries,fridge slide,Pioneer touchscreen unit, 50L Waeco,UHF,lots of scratches down the sides, new super powerful engine!,bash plates, 3" lift,polyairs Dobinsons,extractors ,Maxtrax
Old 14-06-14
Valued Member

I replaced all my Std lights with HID, best thing I ever did. I put the h/b in straight after purchase as the stock lights were crap, I also purchased a set for l/b but had them in the garage for 3 years, swapped out the std l/b globes and ran with philps blue diamond these were a huge improvement on stock but still average, one globe died few weeks back, so fitted the HID 5000k, so far so good, no flashes from on coming traffic, light spread is good, clear cut off point in front of car, does not light up the back of car in front so does not dazzle them or on coming traffic, I checked ( IE: drove at it with some one else driving) yes not legal but then so are 90% of all mods we do to our cars.

well worth doing:
H/B 6000 K 55 watt
L/B 5000k 55 watt
Michael.
2016 NX,GLS,DID,Auto. Rear DL, ARB deluxe BB, Warn winch, Safari Snorkle, Tow bar, Redarc tow pro, Front door windows tinted, Traxide SC80 dual battery system, Rino roof bars, Icom IC440 UHF, Lovells HD + 50mm springs all round, ????? shocks and struts, Proclip & Strike phone mount.
Old 17-07-14
Valued Member

thanks Michael, but I reckon your reflectors are better suited to the HID upgrade, Im not sure if my older style headlights will work as well?,
NX ARB bar totally stock,, for now and the trusty old NM Exceed ,Injected LPG. ARB Sahara bar 12000lb Tigerz11winch,Lightforce genisis ,2x stealth LED bars, rear LED reverse light, GU Patrol black wheels 32"BFGs ,custom alloy roof rack with twin awnings,, snorkel, Milford barrier, custom rear storage ,triple batteries,fridge slide,Pioneer touchscreen unit, 50L Waeco,UHF,lots of scratches down the sides, new super powerful engine!,bash plates, 3" lift,polyairs Dobinsons,extractors ,Maxtrax
Old 17-07-14
Valued Member

Hi Cam,
Not sure if you have seen this thread before : http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ad.php?t=32732
Not as cheap as putting a HID lamp in a halogen reflector but a far better result.
I'm all for more light but I see many HID conversions in a standard reflector that result in glare for the oncoming driver - not ideal.
I haven't seen many HID lamps in a halogen projector ( as Michael has - please correct me if I am wrong) so can't comment on the result.
Swapping the stock halogen projectors for a HID projector and lamp is on my to do list - along with everything else!
Cheers
Tristan
Old 17-07-14

Have any of you guys running HIDs in your high beams noticed any UV damage to either the reflector or headlight lens? I can't seem to come up with any conclusive evidence on this issue, other than it's the cheaper kits that often don't have the UV cut quartz glass that might cause a problem.

Cheers,
Glen
Old 17-07-14
Valued Member

At least here in Chile NM came with HID on the lows, it came with a suitable reflector and D2R bulbs that suit that tipe of lamp.

You could check if you can find those lamps on the wreckers or maybe all came with the same one and you just need to upgrade the bulb, check the markings on the lamp as it states for what tipe of lightning is designed for. If you like I can ask a friend to check on his NM here.

Regards
2009 SWB NS 3.2 DOHC DID AT 265/70/17 BFG AT/KO, OME SD Springs +4 Rear locker, 8.500 Lbs Winch...new toy!!!
Old 20-07-14

I've had 8000k 55w HID in my NH for over 12mths and there is no noticeable damage or difference.
Not sure if the older headlights are similar but wouldn't imagine it doing and damage.
Also difference between HID and halogen is like day and night. Even the Mrs demanded HID in her mondeo after seeing my lights
Old 21-07-14
"valued 3000+ member"

55w hid in low beam in non projector lens and 8000k? australia says no to excess glare to oncoming traffic

'89 NG Paj, 3L V6, now running 2" suspension lift, 33" Micky T Baja Claws's, Front LOKKA & 12,000lb winch
Old 27-07-14

As my lenses are starting to craze and break down, I am in the market for drop in replacements. Has anyone got any experience with the ones that the OP posted a pic of? This is the current listing http://goo.gl/QOgUb1
They are marketed as RHD, and have a number of globe options.
What I wish to know is how they stand as to the legality of the projector lens retro fit. Has anyone spent the time to observe one approaching them, does it have annoying/illegal glare?
For me that is a lotta bread to drop in one sitting, I wish to make the best choice possible.
If anyone has any other recomendations, I am open to ideas.
2002 NM 3.5L V6 Auto GLS, 33" BFG KM3s on Patrol 16x8, front air locker, Ironman lift plus poly blocks plus rear airbags, Runva 11XP, Bushskinz, ARB Combo bar, HF, VHF/UHF radios, 9" LED spots, 2 x LED light bars, interior LED lighting, Rear drawers, dual batteries, Projecta DC/DC charger, cabin filter mod, Bisho's centre console mod, roof basket, solar panel, Darche 270 Eclipse awning, ebay snorkel, activated tail lights.