Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 3 Pajero

Generation 3 Pajero NM - NP Models 2000 - 2006

Old 04-02-13
Valued Member

Default two roof racks with big basket ok?

Hi guys,

I've got two roof racks amd am thinking of getting a roof basket, 1.6mx1.2m.
Would the two racks be ok for this?
I'm only going to store camping gear in it so it won't be to heavy.

Cheers
Leo
Old 04-02-13
Valued Member

Hi Leo, what racks do you have mate? It should have said their rating on the box or paper work(if you bought new). I had a basket on just 2 light duty racks and had no probs with putting light bulky stuff up there.

Mike.
02 NM 3.5v6 auto Exceed, seq gas inj,265/75/16 Wild Peaks,16x8 Ballistic alloys, 2.5" cat back, wild cat headers, Lovells HD/TJM Gold Series,30mm coil spacers in rear, dual batt, TJM/bushskinz, 4x4 equip axe & shovel holder, rev cam, 50L Waeco, Megapulse, poly airs, Safari snorkel, K&N, MM alloy b/bar, Roo Lite's, 21" light bar,remote mount UHF, extended breathers, ARB comp, Maxtrax, RTT, Batwing awning & much more!

my videos http://www.youtube.com/user/michealmannion?feature=mhee
Old 04-02-13
Valued Member

Got the genuine MM ones mate.

Leo
Old 05-02-13
Valued Member

I am going to be doing the same - have the two factory cross bars at the furthest points possible on the SWB and using a 1.6m long Rhino basket.

(Currently have the 1.5m Rhino Tray on two bars with no issues)
Old 05-02-13
Valued Member

I think you will find the curve of the roof precludes you from using three.
Old 05-02-13
Valued Member

I have a 1.2 x 1.6m cage on 2x Rhino HD bars.
You can go 3x bars but as Pat suggested the curvature of the roof does need to be considered and you actually have to use spacers on the front bars to make sure all 3 come up level.
I didn't see the point as roof loading is supposed to be max 100kg and 2x bars can handle much more than that. Adding a 3rd is only adding to the weight on the roof.
Cheers, Dan.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8438.jpg (119.2 KB, 73 views)
2004 NP DiD GLX, 5 spd Manual with SMF, ARB Bullbar, Ironman 12000lb winch, Lightforce Genesis lights, Airtec Snorkel, 81L LRA tank, Unifilter, GME 3500 UHF, Redarc elec brake controller, ARB dual Batt tray with 60AH Deep cycle Batt & Redarc Isolator, Bushskinz Sliders, intercooler and sump guards, Lovells raised HD springs, Polyairs & Bilstein shocks, Milford Cargo Barrier, Philips +100 globes, 2nd set of rims with 245/75x16 Bighorns, Waeco 60L Fridge & a Cavalier camper trailer!
Old 05-02-13
Valued Member

Looks good Dan and thanks for the pic, that's more than I would carry up there.

Cheers
Leo
Old 05-02-13
Valued Member

No probs Leo.
It's more than I wanted to carry up there but with me, the wife and 2 young kids in the car, all the stuff had to go somewhere! Most of it was light - tent, chairs, mattress, clothes, sleeping bags etc etc. But it does all add up.
Cheers, Dan.
2004 NP DiD GLX, 5 spd Manual with SMF, ARB Bullbar, Ironman 12000lb winch, Lightforce Genesis lights, Airtec Snorkel, 81L LRA tank, Unifilter, GME 3500 UHF, Redarc elec brake controller, ARB dual Batt tray with 60AH Deep cycle Batt & Redarc Isolator, Bushskinz Sliders, intercooler and sump guards, Lovells raised HD springs, Polyairs & Bilstein shocks, Milford Cargo Barrier, Philips +100 globes, 2nd set of rims with 245/75x16 Bighorns, Waeco 60L Fridge & a Cavalier camper trailer!
Old 05-02-13
Valued Member

By the way, if I had my chance again I wouldn't buy a basket. I'd get one of the flat alloy racks with minimal sides. Then I'd strap my new custom sized roof bag to that with everything inside of it. The basket sides just make it awkward to load and zip up while the alloy rack would be heaps lighter than the steel one.
Old 06-02-13
Valued Member

A mid sized 1.6m rack works fine on 2 cross bars. I have a 1.9m rack and use 3 cross bars, suitably soaced to keep it level, all mounted on a Rhino track system.
I agree with Pat; if I was to buy again I would get a flat platform. Much easier to load/unload and I could get into my garage without having to take the thing off all the time..

MY12 LC200 GXL 4.5Lt V8 twin turbo, GVM upgrade, ARB bar, Warn winch, Outback Acc rear bar and dual carrier, TJM sidesteps, Bushskinz, Long Ranger 180Lt tank, Black Widow drawers, cargo barrier, Polaris Awning, +++
Ex - NM auto, 2"Kings, Bilsteins, Buckshots, Wildcat headers, 2.75" Mandrel bent exhaust, Injected LPG, Smartbar, Scraper bar, Bushskinz, Custom steps, Dual Batteries, Breathers, Black Widow drawers, Polaris Awning.