Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Bits and Pieces

Bits and Pieces Whatever does not fit into the other catergories.

Old 08-08-12
Valued Member

Default Decision time + Decision Time Take 11

Righto heres the plan. Looking at a 96 cruiser diesel 00 exceed petrol and an petrol 04 jeep sport something or other. Dont know yet what deal can be struck on the jeep but the other 2 are ten grand changeover. Haven't driven the exceed or jeep yet but the cruiser drives and looks immaculate. I'm leaning towards the cruiser the wifes leaning towards the jeep and the exceed is sitting in the middle like an orphan. Personally I dont want the exceed period, and the jeep is an 04 with the lowest k's but their the 3 options I have at this point as of today.

What would you do? And dont say the exceed simply because its a pajero, it's a petrol with the highest fuel running costs which is what's stopping me from being serious with it, that and I've always said I wouldn't consider a gen 3 onwards. The cruiser is diesel and is like walking back in time to a toyota dealer looking at a new car. The jeep is a bit on the small side but is an 04 model and has airbags up the wazoo everywhere, so safety is a strong suit there.

They all tick boxes for us in different ways, my priorities are different to the missus', the cruiser wont drop resale like the other 2 and is the most capable of the 3 offroad, which will test whether it's the nj or me that is not allowed to go offroad.

I'm in no immediate rush but I know the cruiser wont sit for long before someone grabs it. I've got plenty of cars to go look at, but these are local and I don't have to spend a fortune to look at them.

Henry David Thoreau

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 08-08-12
Valued Member

Just don't go the jeep, i here they are costly for parts etc, and they are like the volo drivers of the 4x4 world IMO I am abit the same with gen 3 onwards, i don't mind running costs if i love a vehicle. But gen 3 paj's don't do it for me visually, they look much to suburban for me and in your case i would go the cruiser or hold off to get a late model Gen 4 paj.
Old 08-08-12
Administrator

If anything the cruiser. But don't be misguided by it being a deisel.....it will still chew through it.
Dave
Old 08-08-12
Valued Member

I wouldn't go the Jeep either. Its Petrol and American.
I just like Japanese cars so in this respect the Cruiser or the Paj would pass. The Japs just seem to know how to put a good car together.
The 80 Series is a good 4WD, which engine is in the particular car you are looking at?
If it is a factory turbo diesel and the condition is as good as you say, jump at it.
I suspect though that it would be a 1HZ? These things are super reliable and easy to work on. You would get parts for them absolutely anywhere but the downside is that the 1HZ is an absolute slug. If you aren't towing anything heavy and you don't care about getting anywhere in a hurry, then they can be a good thing.
The Petrol Paj will probably only chew 3 to 4 litres per hundred more than a 1HZ diesel cruiser if driven nicely. The Paj would only need servicing 1/2 as often as the Cruiser so you would get some running costs back there. But the Paj will be far more comfortable and a much nicer and easier 4WD for your other half to punt around town.
Decisions decisions.......
Let us know which way you decide to go
Good luck!
Dan.
2004 NP DiD GLX, 5 spd Manual with SMF, ARB Bullbar, Ironman 12000lb winch, Lightforce Genesis lights, Airtec Snorkel, 81L LRA tank, Unifilter, GME 3500 UHF, Redarc elec brake controller, ARB dual Batt tray with 60AH Deep cycle Batt & Redarc Isolator, Bushskinz Sliders, intercooler and sump guards, Lovells raised HD springs, Polyairs & Bilstein shocks, Milford Cargo Barrier, Philips +100 globes, 2nd set of rims with 245/75x16 Bighorns, Waeco 60L Fridge & a Cavalier camper trailer!
Old 08-08-12
Valued Member

It's a 1hz as far as i know. It's a na diesel anyway. The yard with the jabber jeep also has a 99 patrol. I initially discounted it because its a petrol/gas, and i thought it had the tank in the cargo area. But I had confused it with another patrol, and the website has it listed as $10990 but I swear I read the tag in the thing as being more. So I will have to go back and give it a run. The pajero is a bit tatty inside, cracks in the leather seats, the missus loves the idea of the foldaway rear seat while I eyed off the storage space it would give.

Unless something turns up in the meantime I think I'll be getting the cruiser. It's going to be the most logical choice as a longer term prospect, it's just so clean and tidy and it's way more simple to work on than a petrol pajero, and I shouldn't loose out to much if I want to sell it on and update later on. The wife loved the space in the back which is enormous compared to the nj but she had a bitch about the lack of "features" in the cab. No console jesus bar in wrong spot to wedge shit in. But I like the fact it has no carpet to get dirty and muddy will need seatcovers to cover the vinyl seats but things like that don't rate up there for concerns to me.

Henry David Thoreau

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 08-08-12
Valued Member

I would go the cruiser. I had an 80 series before the NP, and loved it. Was the standard and I ended up putting a turbo and intercooler on it. Transformed it from really good offraod vehicle to fantastic. They are also easy to get second hand parts for, and you can always up grade in interior from a wreckers down the track, so you can have buckets in the front and put a console in.
Cheers,
Andrew.

2008 NS Diesel Auto - stock as a rock. Planning Tow bar, dual battery system, cargo barrier, bullbar, winch, lights, roof rack and suspension.
Jayco Starcraft 17.58-3.
Old 08-08-12

Wouldn't buy the Paj or the Jeep
Paj fuel would be an issue for that year model 15L/100km brand new
Jeep is damn expensive to service and fix. Require lots of fixing
Cruiser, prob quicker to ride ya push bike if your running late but maybe the better choose of the three… cruiser 2.1tonne and only 96kw
Any diesel patrols available ??
Old 08-08-12
Valued Member

Another vote for the cruiser, especially if its in that good condition. Yes it maybe the oldest, but there is a good chance it will last the longest. The 1HZ, while a good strong reliable engine, does need to be serviced every 5000 km, fuel filters every 20,000 or so km and air every 40,000 ish km, so can be a little exy to maintain, even doing it yourself. They drink a bit more fuel than you would think as well. Having said all that it would still be my first choice.

Currently: 2001 NM GLS MY2002 3.5 V6 Manual, Bullbar, GME TX3520, Falken Wildpeak A/T02 LT265/70/16, Pacemaker extractors, KYB Skorched 4's, Villain Lighting 22" lightbar, Bushskinz Front and sump guard, Pioneer 7" screen

Items to be fitted: ARB 2.5 x 2.1 awning.

Items to be purchased: Bushskinz- Gearbox/Transfer plates and sliders, Roof racks, Safari Snorkel, Lifted Springs, maybe more...
Old 09-08-12
Valued Member

Yeah at the moment the cruiser is a goer. Apart from the fuel issue the jabber is just a bit too shabby inside to part with too much money. The jeep extreme sport I feel is too small but the laredo I drove the other day was an awesome beast. But it was just too nice to take offroad, was black as well so would of looked tatty quick.

No diesel patrols that I'm aware of, certainly none in my price bracket. The 99 petrol/gas patrol I may consider tho. Not a fan of gas as such, means 2 tanks to fill and dont like filling 1 let alone 2. The cruiser was not so much slow as low geared. Once I got the heft going it was quick enough for me. It's not like the nj is going to do over a veyron so I'm kinda used to the getting there getting there we're there.

The yard was the only one to offer a decent trade on the nj. They offered $3000 everyone else offered half that. I would let her sit and rot for that offer before I would accept. Just need to stall as long as I can to allow tax to come back and add to what I've saved up to make finance easier to get, even tho they said last loan they would reloan up to the same amount I need action from them not words. So will see how things pan out.

Cheers.

Henry David Thoreau

Old 09-08-12
Valued Member

If you're worried about the Pajero fuel use, forget the Patrol even in LPG guise. Unless you drive like a granny, 20L/100km petrol and 24L/100km LPG will be the norm if you have some accessories bolted to it, so maybe 4-500km range between the 2 tanks! I had 2 of them, one auto one manual, manual was much better. Not very powerful but very reliable. My missus didn't like driving it around town as it was too high/long/wide/hard to park blah blah blah. In comparison she enjoys driving the Pajero, almost thinking about selling her Honda Jazz and making the Pajero her daily!

My mates 80 1HZ used to chew 14L/100km so wasn't very economical. In saying that it only went up to 16L/100km when he was towing his 1800kg trailer! As said above, very slow but very reliable. A bit truck-like to drive.

Jeeps - no experience myself but their reputation scares me...