Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 4-1 Pajero

Generation 4-1 Pajero NS Model 2006 - 2009

Old 27-08-11
Valued Member

Default Brake pad change

Going to attempt to do my pads tomorrow. I think both front and rear is there anything I should know before attempting this? ie any special tools required? Should I get some sort of 4X4 pad?
2007 NS VRX Cool Siver, Mitsu Alloy BB with spotties, MM towbar, Family Pack, ARB Awning, Duel battery with Optima yellow top starter, Bushskinz intercooler and sump combo, 2" lift with Bilstein shocks and HD Lovels, Ultragauge (Sold 2014)
Old 27-08-11
Valued Member

Depends on how you use your vehicle. Towing, school duties, etc.

Bendix are a good quality aftermarket pad, i have use Ultimate's on previous vehicles and they are great. Make sure you at least skim the discs, or if they are worn beyong the minimum thickness, replace with DBA rotors, or similar.

cheers
Geoff
NOW - 2012 Prado Kakadu V6 Auto. Opposite Lock bar, Runva winch, Front locker, Bilstein shocks & 2" Dobbo Coils, Lightforce 240's, Scangauge, Dual Yellowtop batteries with Traxide controller, GME 3440 UHF, Featherlite Awning
Old 27-08-11
Banned

Mate I use Bendix 4WD pads. I also have the discs skimmed.

How many Ks have they done?
Old 27-08-11
Valued Member

Dont know how many k's the rotors have done but they look good, only got the car last week.
2007 NS VRX Cool Siver, Mitsu Alloy BB with spotties, MM towbar, Family Pack, ARB Awning, Duel battery with Optima yellow top starter, Bushskinz intercooler and sump combo, 2" lift with Bilstein shocks and HD Lovels, Ultragauge (Sold 2014)
Old 27-08-11
Valued Member

Send a message via Skype™ to steveandviv

And don't worry to much about the rooters, it's more, as Geoff says, if you have been driving around using the brakes on metal that will need a surface grind. If you have have plenty of Doh then go ahead. I haven't needed to over 195K and am on my 4th set of front pad and 3rd set of rear.

You'll have no issues changing the pads. Give the bolts a quick spray (wd40 or crc fyi) and have a G-Clamp ready to push the pistons in, all good after that..
2000 NM Paj - 2.5 Inch Lift - 81 Long Range tank - UHF - Rhino Rack - Dual Batteries - Hella 4000 Spotties - ARB Bar - Cargo Barrier - Custom Shelves - GPS Screen - Garmin GPS - Snorkle - Ox TJM Winch - MT MTZ - Polly Bags - Front ARB Locker - 50&60ltr Waeco....http://www.steveandviv.blogspot.com/
Old 28-08-11
Valued Member

Brought the bendix 4X4 pads this morning from Repco 20% off all items today so paid $73 each for front and rears. But only had to do the rears the fronts had plenty left on them, will do them around xmas for the drive and tow down to Ballarat.
Prety easy to do now all I need is to find out how to adjust the handbrake! Couldnt figure that one out.
Old 28-08-11
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jords View Post
Brought the bendix 4X4 pads this morning from Repco 20% off all items today so paid $73 each for front and rears. But only had to do the rears the fronts had plenty left on them, will do them around xmas for the drive and tow down to Ballarat.
Prety easy to do now all I need is to find out how to adjust the handbrake! Couldnt figure that one out.

Hand brake is pretty easy, but you do have to remove the wheels as the adjuster hole is on the front. Ensure that the front wheels are chocked, as the car will have to be in neutral with the handbrake not engaged. Remove the rubber bungs on the front face of the rear disc/drum assy. The adjuster is located on the bottom of the drum, so you will need to ensure that the hole is at the bottom and use a torch to find it. Use a reasonably big flat blade screwdriver, once you have found the castle-ated adjuster assembly.

As the left and right side are opposite threads, i cant remember which side is which, so trial and error will be required. There is only one adjuster nut, so use the screwdriver to turn the nut in a verticle motion. Turn the adjuster nut clockwise looking from the front towards the rear (turn the screwdriver handle fron top to bottom), until you cant turn any more (it is fuly adjusted out) and the drum wont turn. Then reverse the motion of the screwdriver 4 turns, which should allow the drum to turn. Go ahead to repeat the entire process on the other drum. There should be no drag of the brake shoes on the drum.

Check the handbrake lever by pulling up until it feels firm, this should be be 4-7 clicks i think. I then put the wheels back on and go for a 10 minute drive and physically check the drum to see how hot it gets. If it is hot and/or you can hear shoe drag, back the adjustment off.

Hope this helps, sorry if the instructions are a little difficult to understand, but doing the job myself is much easier that writing instructions how to do it.

cheers
Geoff
NOW - 2012 Prado Kakadu V6 Auto. Opposite Lock bar, Runva winch, Front locker, Bilstein shocks & 2" Dobbo Coils, Lightforce 240's, Scangauge, Dual Yellowtop batteries with Traxide controller, GME 3440 UHF, Featherlite Awning