• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bigpaj
    • Jul 2009

Warning lights

Hi Guys,

I've got a 3.5 NL Pajero.

Got into the car to go to work this morning and drive round the corner. As I approached the roundabout I put the brakes on and noticed the A/T warning light came on and the engine warning light.

As I drove off again, the lights turned off, every time I braked they would come back on.

I took the car home and left it there.

Anyone experienced this?

I was planning a trip this weekend and not sure if I should still go.

Cheers
    Last edited by bigpaj; 31-07-09, 09:33 AM.
    08 NS Pajero (3.2 Oil burner) . 33 inch Mickey Thompsons, ARB bullbar, 9000LB ORU Winch
  • Rascal
    • Feb 2009
    • Newcastle

Just a guess, but maybe fluid levels could be low somewhere? Maybe as you brake, as the front of the car dips lower, the fluids are rushing foward away from the sensor, causing the light to come on. AT light usually means your transmission fluids are overheating, engine light could mean all sorts of things... check your fluid levels/condition.

I also had the AT light and engine light come on when my altenator gave up as well. Maybe something to do with this? These are just suggestions though, I hope it is nothing too major. Good luck.

Comment

• Rob
      • Aug 2008

Mine has exactly the same problem, has for a while now. If it is alternator, charge light should come on also. I found it is actually coming on as you release throttle to idle, the smallest tap on the throttle puts the light off again. I am checking some things tomorrow and will post back if I find something of use. I believe the AT light is transmission heat or fault light or something similar.

Comment

funny as it sounds......check all your fuses, had one of mine blow, caused the indecators to stop working BUT also turned the SRS warning light on. Just run through them all, its cheap and may just be the prob

Comment

• NL in Canberra
          • Jun 2009

I had something like this. It was due to the alternator putting out too much power. I ignored it and got some serious bills to teach me better habits.

Comment

• bigpaj
            • Jul 2009

just a fllow up, it did go away when the car warmed up. I checked the trans fluid when the car was warm and it seemed fine.
            08 NS Pajero (3.2 Oil burner) . 33 inch Mickey Thompsons, ARB bullbar, 9000LB ORU Winch

Comment

• surfgab
              • Oct 2009

I have exactly the same. Just when I release the throttle. Therefore I suspected it was the TPS. Also read the trouble code and yes, it was code 12 (TPS). Then I disconnected the TPS put WD40 onto the connector then plugged again and it's fine so far.

Comment

• lynice
                • Oct 2009
                • Busselton

Mine does exactly the same thing. Had the Transmission checked and no abnormality found and its working just fine. Fluid levels are fine. All is fine except that fuel consumption is a little high. I have have received advise about replacing the o2 sensor. Cost me about $97 from repco and will replace soon. Will let u know if this fixes the flashing light problem.
                1997 GLS 3.5L V6 NL 4 Speed Auto. Roof Rack. Nudge Bar. Spotlights. Dark Blue. Tinted Windows. Kenwood Stereo.

Comment

• Tin Man
                  • Sep 2009
                  • Brisbane

Hello all - I'm having the same problem. I'd be interested to hear how your solutions went over the long term.

Cheers
                  1998 NL Pajero GLS, Petrol, Auto, LSD, bog standard (for now), 265/70R16 Maxxis Bravo 751 A/T, Outback Ideas Bush Hook - 10,000lbs

Comment

• Tin Man
                    • Sep 2009
                    • Brisbane

So I gave the old "spray everything in sight with WD40" trick a go, and so far so good.
                    (Just in case someone else has the same problem...)

I suspect the Throttle Position Sensor was the culprit, but I'll probably never know for certain...
                    1998 NL Pajero GLS, Petrol, Auto, LSD, bog standard (for now), 265/70R16 Maxxis Bravo 751 A/T, Outback Ideas Bush Hook - 10,000lbs

Comment

• sprintman
                      Valued Member
                      • May 2010

NL in Canberra have you found a savvy Pajero aware shop?

Comment

• cori76
                        • Oct 2009
                        • Mudgee , NSW

The same problem!

Originally posted by bigpaj View Post
                        Hi Guys,

I've got a 3.5 NL Pajero.

Got into the car to go to work this morning and drive round the corner. As I approached the roundabout I put the brakes on and noticed the A/T warning light came on and the engine warning light.

As I drove off again, the lights turned off, every time I braked they would come back on.

I took the car home and left it there.

Anyone experienced this?

I was planning a trip this weekend and not sure if I should still go.

Cheers
                        Hi , I have a similar problem were its just the A/T Temp light is stuck on and i dont know why either and i've had to drive the car still for about 5 days now with this light still on. I also wish someone could give me an idea too of what's causing it and is it serious? cause my gearbox oil is fine!

Comment

• cori76
                          • Oct 2009
                          • Mudgee , NSW

A/T Temp Warning light problem.

Hi , Mine has been on for 5 days now and even stays on after i start the car even on cold start! very strange.... I have to drive my car (NJ Pajero) because we live out of town but i dont wont to do damage to my Auto transmission either. I've checked the Trannie fluid and its fine , not burnt or brown. Anyway how hot is the oil cooler suppose to get? because mine gets fairly hot like my radiator!

Comment

• cori76
                            • Oct 2009
                            • Mudgee , NSW

TPS with WD40

Hi , Today i will try your idea with the WD40 on the connectors for the TPS because my A/T Temp warning light stays on all the time , Even when the car is cold! Thanks for the tip.

Comment

• cori76
                              • Oct 2009
                              • Mudgee , NSW

Thanks for the tip!

Originally posted by Tin Man View Post
                              So I gave the old "spray everything in sight with WD40" trick a go, and so far so good.
                              (Just in case someone else has the same problem...)

I suspect the Throttle Position Sensor was the culprit, but I'll probably never know for certain...
                              Hi , Im going to try your idea with the WD40 on the TPS connectors and see if that will make the A/T temp warning go out on my dash seems it has been permanently stuck on for a week now!

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X