• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alex86
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2007
    • Here and there

Sometimes electrics are annoying!!

My rear worklight decided to stop working, so I decide to go fault find.

First things first, pull the fuse- I didn't expect it to be buggered as I have an illuminating switch for the light, and it lit up, so power was going through. Fuse looks fine, put it back in.

So next I go and remove the light, pull the heat shrink off the connectors and separate the join. Test the light directly on the battery and all good. Multimeter on the supply and getting over 12v.

Scratching my head....

Anyway I accidentally shorted the connection. No more volts to supply the light, and the illuminating switch light is out. Ok I'll go swap the fuse as it probably blew. Pull the fuse and yep this time it's got a clean break. Put a new one in and all of a sudden the work light is operating correctly!

Go figure

Stupid electrics!!!

Note for next time, just swap out the fuse or get the multimeter on it.
    '99 NL Escape, Manual - Bullbar, roofrack, cargo barrier, D697LT, Tough Dogs, dual batts, rear draws, Narva 225 HID, UHF, led bar etc
    Towing: 4.8m Savage Centurion half-cab w/75hp Mariner

'99 NL GLS SWB, Auto - Bullbar, D697LT, spotties, UHF, Koni adjustables & King springs.

Wanted: Adventure.
  • aussieintas
    Valued Member
    • Feb 2013
    • Sorell, Tasmania

Yep sometimes i find its the simplest things with electrics......I've learnt from my own mistakes over the years!
    2014 VW Touareg V6 diesel

Previously
    88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
    92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
    92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
    99 Landcruiser Gxl 4.5 manual with all the fruit
    95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
    08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• Wazzap
      • Sep 2015
      • NSW

I'll jump in and agree - have had a fairly annoying problem with my hardwired dash cam for the past couple of weeks - when I start the car in the morning the dash cam won't come on, but in the afternoon it's fine! Have swapped it for the cam in my other car which worked fine but this has the same issues, and tried a different cable and both cameras work regardless of the time.

Went out 10mins early today so I could do some troubleshooting while it's actually happening - and find out almost immediately it's just a loose crimp connector behind the dash! Why it's such a repeatable fault where it only works in the afternoon but not in the morning has me stumped....but either way, time to break out the soldering iron and make sure it's a solid connection this time.

Comment

• Ent
        Valued Member
        • Apr 2014
        • Tasmania

Yeap, a sixty amp curcuit breaker will not stop a 125amp fuse from blowing.

If you want fun try trouble shooting what a HF radio can do. For me if used before the phone connects then it will not do it automatically but connect fine manually, and if connected before transmission then no problem. You can spend weeks trying to get an auto tune antenna to work and other times it just does. Mine does not work well with Kaymar bar open but works perfectly with it closed. Learning about RF earth being different to normal earth.

Lose or dirty connections can be a right Royal pain. Also, I found out ASC light came on and cruise control did not work. Reason? Blown breaklight fuse!

Now if soneone can tell me how to shut up permanently rear reversing sensor racket they will be right for beer that night!
        2014 PC Challenger, manual, factory tow-bar, factory front diff protector, TJM inter-cooler plate, Bushskinz manual transmission protection plate, ProRack S16 roof racks, front elocker, Drummond Motor Sport front struts, custom 16mm King rear springs with Bilstein Dampeners, Buzz Rack Runner 3 bike platform, Eclipse Nav head unit, GME TX3800BW UHF, 16x8 CSA Raptor rims, 265/75R16 Maxxis MT-762, orToyo AT/2 265/70R16 Triton rims, BFGoodrich 235/85/R16 Triton rims, or Factory tyres and rims.

Comment

• aussieintas
          Valued Member
          • Feb 2013
          • Sorell, Tasmania

Ent......pair of wire snips might work

EDIT......just realised the buzzer is integral within the reverse control unit from memory, so might be a bit more difficult.
          2014 VW Touareg V6 diesel

Previously
          88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
          92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
          92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
          99 Landcruiser Gxl 4.5 manual with all the fruit
          95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
          08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• BeanCounter
            • Mar 2012
            • Tasmania

Originally posted by Ent View Post

Now if soneone can tell me how to shut up permanently rear reversing sensor racket they will be right for beer that night!
            Find out which pin in the trailer socket turns it off and either hardwire a switch in or plug in a dummy plug to the trailer socket (with the appropriate pins shorted). I assume this would work as I understand reverse sensors get disabled with a trailer plugged in, otherwise they would go off constantly when reversing a trailer.

Comment

• Morville
              Valued Member
              • Mar 2008
              • Buxton Vic

Originally posted by Ent View Post
              Check the trailer socket first. See if the buzzer stops by lifting the socket cover.
              Has the socket ever been replaced? Aftermarket sockets can have either NC (normally closed) or NO (normally open) reversing sensors contacts as various makes of vehicles can use either. Some auto electricians don't even realise this.
              Peter

Comment

• Ent
                Valued Member
                • Apr 2014
                • Tasmania

My understanding is the Challenger is not wired with a sensing wire so you when towing have to manually switch it off every time you start the car.
                2014 PC Challenger, manual, factory tow-bar, factory front diff protector, TJM inter-cooler plate, Bushskinz manual transmission protection plate, ProRack S16 roof racks, front elocker, Drummond Motor Sport front struts, custom 16mm King rear springs with Bilstein Dampeners, Buzz Rack Runner 3 bike platform, Eclipse Nav head unit, GME TX3800BW UHF, 16x8 CSA Raptor rims, 265/75R16 Maxxis MT-762, orToyo AT/2 265/70R16 Triton rims, BFGoodrich 235/85/R16 Triton rims, or Factory tyres and rims.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                Working...
                X