• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 1_johnboy
    • Sep 2012
    • Gippsland

Technical Help Needed

This is for my MQ triton but assume the issue I have is also applicable to the PS.

Im trying to retrofit the factory rear locker to my MQ. So far I have fitted the diff center (locking) and was planning on just installing as an aftermarket unit with just supplying 12v to it via a switch.

Whilst under there I noticed the wiring for the factory elocker was there. So hooked it up with the intention of purchasing the factory on/off switch and maybe having it function as per factory.

So I did purchase the switch and found the connector behind the dash and hooked it up. Illumination lights up and had high hopes.

Put it in 4l and pressed the switch - nothing.

So this is where Im at. Spoke with MM and they had no idea. I got some wiring diagrams so see if a fuse or relay way needed. I cant find any reference to this at all. Im wondering if maybe something needs enabling in the transfer ecu via MUT.

I was hoping someone might be able to give me some guidance on this matter.

Thanks in advance
  • old Jack
    Regular
    • Jun 2011
    • Adelaide, South Australia.

I think the factory diff lock in the MQ Triton and Pajero Sport are the same as the PB/PC Challenger and Gen 4 Pajero, which is air operated by a small air pump pushing a diaphragm within the diff and not an Harrop E Locker. Factory system will also disable the traction control system which some people with rear factory locker bypass as a mod.

If you want your E Locker to work in 2H, 4H, 4Hlc and 4Llc then use any 12 vdc source for switching or if you want your diff lock to work when only in 4Hlc and 4Llc then take the switch source from the centre diff activation this is the safest mode as then you cannot accidentally activate the RDL whilst in 2H and 4H.

OJ.
    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
    MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• 1_johnboy
      • Sep 2012
      • Gippsland

Hi Mate,

Thanks for the reply. In the PS/MQ they are elockers. The center I have is from a mq exceed with factory elocker. I want to to function as per factory if possible.

But maybe more complicated than I thought - if not impossible to get that level of functionality.

Comment

• Xl76
        • Mar 2017
        • Perth

Just out of left field .
        Mabe the ECU controls the traction aid and MM need to activate it ?

Comment

• Gen3
          • Nov 2011
          • penrith , NSW

i checked the wiring diagrams , there is an ECU which controls the rear locker which takes its commands from the switches in the transfer case and the Canbus system. there is also a switch on the diff which tells the ECU that the locker is enagaged.

just engage the diff lock by applying +12v through a 21watt light globe. easiest way.

Comment

• Hatto
            Valued Member
            • Nov 2013
            • Mandurah WA

Assuming the utes and ute based wagons are the same as the Pajero's, they need an ecu fitted as well with looms or something too. I looked into it when retrofitting a factory locker to my non locked NW Pajero. It got too hard and expensive to make it work as factory fitted, so I just wired mine up with a power wire through a switch. I reckon I prefer it this way as when I was off road last time I entered a bog hole which didn't look too bad and was just in 4H with ASC switched off and started bogging down. Water was probably just above the bottom of the door sills so i didnt want to wait for 4HLC, then 4LLC to engage thinking the muddy water would start seeping and soaking the carpets. So I backed off the throttle and hit the diff lock switch and that was just enough to get me through far enough to be on slightly higher ground where I locked the center diff too. Probably would have driven out with just the diff lock though, but it was a good way to see the benefit of a diff lock.
            A factory fitted locker is great I'm sure, if you are in the right 4wd mode before you find yourself in the poo.
            Cheers, Hatto

2012 NW GLS Diesel Auto with:
            ARB delux bar, full length Ocam ally roof rack with rear LED work light, dual batteries, DIY rear ally drawers with fridge slide, 2" lift oztec/kings, Polyairs, Kings awning 2.5 x 2.5m with LED strip light, pair of genr8 40w LED spot/flood driving lights, iron man 4x4 22" LED light bar, mounted thumper compressor, 70L water tank & 12v pump, 120w solar, LED interior lights, Boo Boo's bash plates, Safari snorkel and Grande mk lll 12000lb winch.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
            Working...
            X