• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Skexis
    Valued Member
    • Dec 2012
    • Adelaide

What about using one of those inspection cameras from Supercrap? Might make it easier to see what's in the cylinder
    Supercheap Auto is Australia's leading auto spares, parts and accessories retailer stocking a variety of car batteries, air filters, coolants and more online or in stores nationwide
    "When strangers meet, great allowances should be made for differences of custom and training". The Lady Jessica - Wisdom of Arrakis

Comment

• Pajshomoneroguntero
      Valued Member
      • Jul 2013
      • Sydney

I think that given the evidence one has to accept the most likely cause . This being the head gasket is gone or the head itself is cracked. I think one of the diagnoses was water getting past a valve. It’s really irrelevant which pot is the cause, both heads should be changed.
      Although daunting the job is doable. It will involve a timing belt change as well essentially. There are plenty of threads in the gen2 forum detailing the process. I managed a belt change with a crappy super cheap socket set, a breaker bar, and a run to Total Tools for some larger $1 sockets.
      Trying to fix it without removing components is wasting time imo. Get the battery out, radiator, alternator etc to make the job so much easier.
      I looked at a head change. There was a mob in Midland that provided both heads new and refitted your parts (within spec) to them. They also supply new head bolts and the vrs gasket kit. From memory, which is getting sketchy now, was about $600 per head so circa $1200.
      I’ll try to find the shop that did the heads. Others did them but reconditioned your heads. What the first mob mentioned to me was that the 6G72 heads have a habit of testing ok even if they are in fact cracked. Although your issue may be more obvious with the valve but could mean the guide has had it.
      NX GLS MY16 Auto: MM Towbar | Spare Lift Kit | Cooper ST MAXX 265/65R17 | SPVi Module mk3.1 | Autosafe Half Cargo Barrier | Torque Pro App | Donaldson 3um 2ndry Fuel Filter | Diff Breathers | GME4500 UHF | Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform | Roley's Rear Bash Plate | Bushskinz Underbody Protection | Airtec Snorkel | Onboard Compressor | Awning | ARB Deluxe Bar | Lightbar | Sherpa4x4 Winch | Bushskinz Sidesteps | Masten TPMS

Build Thread

Comment

• Pajshomoneroguntero
        Valued Member
        • Jul 2013
        • Sydney

I just noticed the crack in your radiator fan, you’ll need to replace that too before parts of it munch through your radiator. Around $45 I think.
        NX GLS MY16 Auto: MM Towbar | Spare Lift Kit | Cooper ST MAXX 265/65R17 | SPVi Module mk3.1 | Autosafe Half Cargo Barrier | Torque Pro App | Donaldson 3um 2ndry Fuel Filter | Diff Breathers | GME4500 UHF | Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform | Roley's Rear Bash Plate | Bushskinz Underbody Protection | Airtec Snorkel | Onboard Compressor | Awning | ARB Deluxe Bar | Lightbar | Sherpa4x4 Winch | Bushskinz Sidesteps | Masten TPMS

Build Thread

Comment

• Pajshomoneroguntero
          Valued Member
          • Jul 2013
          • Sydney

Found them
          Supreme Head Supply sells Quality New Cylinder Heads, cylinder head gasket sets, cylinder head bolts. We provide speedy and efficient deliveries to most parts of Australia from our Melbourne warehouse. Free Delivery

They also seem to go by
          Midland Cylinder Heads: Your go-to supplier for engine parts and cylinder head reconditioning. 30 years of industry experience and a 12-month warranty.

I also found a post from myself back in 2014

Build Thread

Comment

• torana68
            • Mar 2014
            • near bredbo

second hand engine should be cheap either way you need to drain the sump and oil down the bores asap or its going to seize. The cleanest spark plug/s will give a hint at which cylinder has water in it

Comment

• petr.romza
              • Jan 2017
              • Melbourne

I am afraid I have also blown head gasket. The car had never drink any coolant and engine oil was clear. It is NM 2002, 3.5L 6G74 SOHC engine on LPG. Few days back it starting with problem to hold on idle. And then I found that some coolant from overflow was gone, also white smoke from exhaust and it doesn't hold on idle at all. Oil is not milky so far.
              All signs for blown head gasket. Possibly because my wife starts it on LPG sometimes and not switching to petrol.
              I'm confident I have all tools to pull engine into parts and I'm willing to give it a try. I have done some fair bit of work on the car, so this is just next level. But before I'll get into it, I'd like to ask for your advice on few questions:
              1) Is there any chance that it can be something else than blown head gasket?
              2) What is typical root cause? I want to make sure head gasket will not be blown few months later again. So should I replace thermostat, spark plugs?
              3) Is there any special procedure for refitting timing belt when heads were off? Or is it same as for timing belt replacement, so getting marks align ... I can't find any comment on it in service manual.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Comment

• HeavyPizzaz
                Valued Member
                • May 2017
                • Sydney

Originally posted by petr.romza View Post
                I am afraid I have also blown head gasket. The car had never drink any coolant and engine oil was clear. It is NM 2002, 3.5L 6G74 SOHC engine on LPG. Few days back it starting with problem to hold on idle. And then I found that some coolant from overflow was gone, also white smoke from exhaust and it doesn't hold on idle at all. Oil is not milky so far.

All signs for blown head gasket. Possibly because my wife starts it on LPG sometimes and not switching to petrol.

I'm confident I have all tools to pull engine into parts and I'm willing to give it a try. I have done some fair bit of work on the car, so this is just next level. But before I'll get into it, I'd like to ask for your advice on few questions:

1) Is there any chance that it can be something else than blown head gasket?

2) What is typical root cause? I want to make sure head gasket will not be blown few months later again. So should I replace thermostat, spark plugs?

3) Is there any special procedure for refitting timing belt when heads were off? Or is it same as for timing belt replacement, so getting marks align ... I can't find any comment on it in service manual.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Sorry to hear mate. I have an LPG / dual fuel falcon. It starts on petrol every single time (even if the switch is set to LPG) and auto-switches back to LPG after a little while. This is 100% without doubt what happens. You sure your Paj wouldn’t do the same?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                Working...
                X