• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Exceeded
    • Feb 2017
    • Newcastle/NSW

Originally posted by hickjo View Post
    The guy I bought it off had HD Ironman all round...not sure why but the ride was ridiculously hard. 4WD direct were very thorough with wanting details about how we used the car and matched the kit to that info. Still firm around town but fully loaded with CT on and off the road it is spot on...only drops 5mm in the rear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That is what sorts out the sales people from the professionals that also drive 4WDs. As you rightly point out there is a lot that goes into the equation including type of driving, load, and customers expectations. A bit of education in what a damper does is a good foundation too for the user.

Comment

• Hatto
      Valued Member
      • Nov 2013
      • Mandurah WA

I don't find my ride too harsh at all. Yes it is mildly firmer when not loaded mainly on the smaller bumps. Overall though handling is greatly improved and when loaded even with the camper on, it still sits level and rides brilliant.
      Cheers, Hatto

2012 NW GLS Diesel Auto with:
      ARB delux bar, full length Ocam ally roof rack with rear LED work light, dual batteries, DIY rear ally drawers with fridge slide, 2" lift oztec/kings, Polyairs, Kings awning 2.5 x 2.5m with LED strip light, pair of genr8 40w LED spot/flood driving lights, iron man 4x4 22" LED light bar, mounted thumper compressor, 70L water tank & 12v pump, 120w solar, LED interior lights, Boo Boo's bash plates, Safari snorkel and Grande mk lll 12000lb winch.

Comment

• littleriver
        Valued Member
        • Jan 2013
        • Queensland

Originally posted by 0415discog View Post
        I don't find my ride too harsh at all. Yes it is mildly firmer when not loaded mainly on the smaller bumps. Overall though handling is greatly improved and when loaded even with the camper on, it still sits level and rides brilliant.

We also have the Oztec shocks & King's springs(Triton fronts and Pajero Rear part #'s) fitted to our PB Challenger ... it drives like it was meant to drive ... body roll improved ... just finished 2k km + of driving trip ... pushed it to close it's limits in the hills (drove like a dream) ...

2012 PB Challenger LS (Manual) Safari Snorkel, OZtec shocks front & rear with King Springs (lift 2 inch) , 22 inch light bar on ECB Nudge bar, roof racks & basket, Bridgestone Duelers 697 LT A/T (116S), Uniden Dash cam, Oricom 2 way radio 80 channel, Ipod connected via glove box usb, Waeco cf50, Garmin gps (with topo), Opticoat + paint protection, Nilrust proofing, Roosystems Ecu Remap

Comment

• Quietguy
          Valued Member
          • Jun 2011
          • Forster, NSW

Originally posted by Exceeded View Post
          Thanks Scubapro. I guess that is a very important point too. I don't want something that stiff that I need a kidney belt just to drive down the shops. I will have a look at the Ranchos too. Was that price per pair or a set front and rear?
          Maybe other have had better luck than I did with Ranchos - I had my previous 4WD fitted with OME shocks to replace the originals, and they made a huge difference as living and working in a rural area I traveled 120km each day on mostly dirt back roads, plus paddock bashing on the farm.

After 200,000km I thought it time to update those and fitted a set of Rancho 9000s as I thought the adjustability might be handy.

But brand new they were nowhere as good as the Old Man Emus that had done a hard 200,000km - they were much less sure footed on the dirt roads I regularly traveled, and a shocker on corrugations. I took them off and put the OMEs back on - and left the Ranchos to rust in the back shed.

David

Comment

• Exceeded
            • Feb 2017
            • Newcastle/NSW

Interesting about the Ranchos. I have definitely decided not to go with them. I am currently trying to get some Oztech dampers. I think that these should fit the bill for me. The shocks have to match the springs too. Some shocks are working too hard and getting too hot for the amount of work that they do. Next time you are out on a dirt road, carefully check how hot your shocks are when you stop.

Comment

• Fotus
              • Dec 2016
              • Adelaide

I fitted the KYB skorched 4 and King combo , decent ride made in japan . Good value .

Comment

• andrewbuckle
                • Apr 2014
                • Croydon Hills, Melbourne

I'm after a new set of suspension for my NS petrol LWB, read the forums and was pretty much set on a Lovells / Bilstein combo with 50mm lift medium duty, Delivered through 4WDdirect was $1380. I rung round a few places ( Croydon, Melbourne ) and installation was about $330 including initial alignment then $70 for another alignment check a week or so later when things had settled down.
                Popped into CanDo4x4 in Lilydale, they suggested that the Lovells springs are probably a bit over engineered for my 90% road, 10% gentle off road style and that Kings (progressive at the front) would be a better fit. They suggest Lovells if you were after a GVM upgrade or doing a lap. They also suggested that the Bilsteins were very good and that the valving was OK for the Pajero but they found that Oztech shockers were more suited to the Pajero. They had a guy there who really knew his stuff and had a rally racing background. I was quoted $1590 for all shocks, springs, fitting, initial wheel alignment and another wheel alignment once everything had settled and apart from the unknown part of the Oztech shocks seemed like a great deal ( one throat to choke and all that :-) ) Anyone have any thought or experience of these shocks or how they go with Kings springs ?
                Pajero NS LWB V6 Petrol

Comment

• Hatto
                  Valued Member
                  • Nov 2013
                  • Mandurah WA

Great, that's my combo and I love it. I'm in the same boat as you. Mostly road but occasionally off road and occasionally towing a camper with the Paj fully loaded. Handles the loaded weights well while still being comfortable un laden. I have HD springs in the front due to a steel bar, winch dual batteries. And I think MD rear springs.
                  Cheers, Hatto

ARB delux bar, full length Ocam ally roof rack with rear LED work light, dual batteries, DIY rear ally drawers with fridge slide, 2" lift oztec/kings, Polyairs, Kings awning 2.5 x 2.5m with LED strip light, pair of genr8 40w LED spot/flood driving lights, iron man 4x4 22" LED light bar, mounted thumper compressor, 70L water tank & 12v pump, 120w solar, LED interior lights, Boo Boo's bash plates, Safari snorkel and Grande mk lll 12000lb winch.

Comment

• andrewbuckle
                    • Apr 2014

Thanks Hatto, right now I can't see any reason to spring more $$$ for the Bilsteins unless there's any horror stories out there
                    I plan to order monday. Did you go for the Oztec original or outback shockers ?
                    Pajero NS LWB V6 Petrol

Comment

• old Jack
                      Regular
                      • Jun 2011
                      • Adelaide, South Australia.

Originally posted by andrewbuckle View Post
                      Thanks Hatto, right now I can't see any reason to spring more $$$ for the Bilsteins unless there's any horror stories out there
                      I plan to order monday. Did you go for the Oztec original or outback shockers ?
                      Oztec only list one shocker option for the rear and one strut option for the front strut, so you have no choice to make.

OJ.
                      Last edited by old Jack; 03-12-17, 03:25 PM. Reason: Typo
                      2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                      MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• andrewbuckle
                        • Apr 2014

Thanks Old Jack !
                        Pajero NS LWB V6 Petrol

Comment

• Hatto
                          Valued Member
                          • Nov 2013
                          • Mandurah WA

Couldn't tell you I'm afraid. It was 3 or so years ago now. I do remember having a lengthy conversation with a bloke at Suspension Stuff in QLD about what I was after from the suspension and what weights/accessories I carried. He then advised me that a Oztec and Kings combo with HD springs up front and MD springs in the rear would be the best fit for me
                          Cheers, Hatto

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X