Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Challenger/ Pajero Sport > PB -PC Challenger 2009 - 2014

PB -PC Challenger 2009 - 2014 Covering 2.5 HP diesel

Old 21-11-17

Thanks OJ.. Just wondering if you can advise the pros and cons you are thinking with those options?
Bilstein/King
Oztec/King
Terrain Tamer Smart coils and pro shocks (still requires a rear option for me)
Also what about Lovells springs and coils all round?
Old 21-11-17
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying View Post
Thanks OJ.. Just wondering if you can advise the pros and cons you are thinking with those options?
Bilstein/King
Oztec/King
Terrain Tamer Smart coils and pro shocks (still requires a rear option for me)
Also what about Lovells springs and coils all round?
Hi Flying,

Bilstein/King combo has some excellent reports of long life (100,000+kms) but Bilsteins only have a 12 month/20,000km warranty. Kings springs are excellent as long as you select the correct one for the job, I like the fact there is a selection of coils that are progressive rate so these can be better matched to your rear loads, warranty and support is excellent from all reports. Kings have been very helpful with sharing information I need for my "suspension calculator" which is in testing.

Oztec/King combo excellent reports but I have no reports of 100,000km installation.
Oztec warranty on shockers is "limited Lifetime" for original purchaser and original vehicle fittment. King springs as above.

Terrain Tamer Smart Coils and Pro shocks, front only at this stage, coils are made by Kings and are progressive so suit standard to medium rated front ends. I have not been able to get spring rate range yet so I cannot comment on how they may go on heavily loaded fronts (steel bar, winch, 2nd battery & underbody guards). Pro shocks, I like the idea of remote canister shocker for those that travel fast and on endless corrugations, Pro shock have adjustable valve rates and ride heights and this means you can fine tune to you loads, terrain and personal preference. 100.000km/3 year warranty is also attractive. I am trying to find a Pro Shock that will fit and a King EHDVR coil. Work in progress.

Bilstein/Lovells combo, I have had this for 85,000kms of very hard heavy work. 3 Bilstein failures on the front caused by shaft flexing as the Lovells coils is not suited to the Bilstein struts, front Lovells coils is not ground flat at top and pigtail pitch wind does not match the lower spring seat of the Bilstein strut, end result is strut shaft flexes and chews out seals and scores shaft. My rear Bilsteins are still going strong, they have had 3 different sets of Lovells coils over the 85,000km, 14,000kms with linear rate HD raised that where not up to GVM loads, 1,000kms on a replacement set of EHD linear rate raised coils that where a way too high and way too hard, the 70,000kms on EHDVR custom Lovells coils but my kerb weight is 2450kg and touring weights up to 2860kgs (GVM+150kg and at max axle limits).

Old Man Emu, for a one stop shop where you want the suspension fitted and good National warranty then hard to go past OME for light to medium duty recreational use. Springs are made by Kings so no issues there and shockers are made by Monroe so good quality twin tube gas shockers. NitroSport shockers give a harder ride than Nitrocharger shockers.

Coils fail because they are overloaded and/or under dampened by the shockers.
Shockers fail because coils are under sized or too hard for the coil spring rates and loads carried, and running tyre pressures too high.
Tyres fail because they get overloaded and over inflated for there physical construction.

After spending several grand on tyre and suspension upgrades we are reluctant to give the upgrades any limitations and generally have too higher expectation of capacity, performance and durability.

Traveling for extended periods on corrugated roads with high loads puts enormous stress on coils, shockers and tyres, if you get the combination wrong then you have failures, get the combination correct, drive to the conditions and control the loads, then you will have fewer failures. There is no perfect bullet proof, comfortable empty, load carrying suspension and tyre combination that can handle all that we request !

OJ.
2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT245/75/16, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, +40mm std front Lovells, +50mm rear EHDVR Lovells, Bilsteins, Peddars 5899 bump stops, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & +100 HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II, torque convertor lockup indicator.
Old 22-11-17

Quote:
Originally Posted by old Jack View Post
Terrain Tamer Smart Coils and Pro shocks, front only at this stage, coils are made by Kings and are progressive so suit standard to medium rated front ends. I have not been able to get spring rate range yet so I cannot comment on how they may go on heavily loaded fronts (steel bar, winch, 2nd battery & underbody guards). Pro shocks, I like the idea of remote canister shocker for those that travel fast and on endless corrugations, Pro shock have adjustable valve rates and ride heights and this means you can fine tune to you loads, terrain and personal preference. 100.000km/3 year warranty is also attractive. I am trying to find a Pro Shock that will fit and a King EHDVR coil. Work in progress.
I definitely like the idea of these and am leaning towards them as the remote canister and adjustability is tempting... let me know what you find for the rear, obviously different but similar car...in your opinion, is the steel bullbar the only item that tips the front weight to 'heavy'? Eg if you have lights, bushskinz, 2nd battery, aerials etc and then either alloy bar or smart +winch, would that still be a candidate for a medium setup? Those things are all installed or in the works but I can't imagine adding a steel bar... already have alloy but will upgrade to smart bar +winch once I hit a few more roos... also how would you compare the pro shocks to the Dobinsons Monotube Remote Reservoir?
Old 22-11-17
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying View Post
I definitely like the idea of these and am leaning towards them as the remote canister and adjustability is tempting... let me know what you find for the rear, obviously different but similar car...in your opinion, is the steel bullbar the only item that tips the front weight to 'heavy'? Eg if you have lights, bushskinz, 2nd battery, aerials etc and then either alloy bar or smart +winch, would that still be a candidate for a medium setup? Those things are all installed or in the works but I can't imagine adding a steel bar... already have alloy but will upgrade to smart bar +winch once I hit a few more roos... also how would you compare the pro shocks to the Dobinsons Monotube Remote Reservoir?
All weight is accumulative but a steel bar at 60kg to 80kg and a winch 25kg to 35kg mounted 3/4 of a metre forward of the axle put significant loads on the front suspension. 2nd battery and a set of 3 Bushskinz plates have the weight either directly over or rearwards of the front axle so these weights are not subject to the multiplication effect of load transfer.

Dobinson MRR had a bit of a bad start on the Pajero but problems seem to be sorted out, not sure if Smartcoils and Proshocks are availble for the Pajero but for Challenger/Triton, and for similar money you can get Smartcoils and remote canister struts that are adjustable both in dampening and ride height so to me that is an advantage and worth considering.

OJ.
2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT245/75/16, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, +40mm std front Lovells, +50mm rear EHDVR Lovells, Bilsteins, Peddars 5899 bump stops, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & +100 HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II, torque convertor lockup indicator.