• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • viking0712
    • May 2015
    • Sydney

Sydney to Broken Hill trip sugestions

Gday,

This upcoming school holidays we are looking to hook up a mates Jayco van to the NT and head out Broken Hill way and back over the two weeks.
    After any suggestions i regards to routes and things to see or give a miss or a good place to stay.

Rough idea so far is Sydney to around Nyngan/Cobar area for night one and then head out to have a look around White Cliffs and maybe stay in the underground motel but have heard mixed reviews on that.

From there into Broken Hill and set up the van proper out on Eldee Station near Silverton for 3 or 4 nights and use there as a base to have a look around the area.

From there thinking of a night around the Menindee Lakes area and after that not much planned except maybe head down Mildura way and then through Hay, Temora and last night stopping at a mates near Canberra and then home to Sydney.

Would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks
    Craig
  • starjunk
    Valued Member
    • Mar 2011
    • Sydney

Good plan Viking,

I would suggest that you check if there is any water in Menindee lakes before trekking out there as there is not much to see when the lakes are dry, as they were when my wife and I were there. If you're staying overnight in Nyngan, say hello to the Cecil and Fergus the camels, at the caravan park on the broken hill side of Nygan. They have really nice rustic style cabins there or you can use your camper.
    In Broken Hill, check out Mulberry Vale for a place to stay. It's 5 minutes out of town (if that). You can set up your camper there, or they have decent cabins there too, and a lovely common room with hall, kitchen, mini museum and a very necessary fire place at this time of year. This is where we choose to stay when we're up that way.
    My wife used to work at white cliffs, and although it's been many years, she says there is an area where RVs park, out the front - but really the experience is to sleep underground, if you have kids (I assume you have as you're going in the school holidays) then they will love it too. Food supply out that way is limited so don't expect too much variety on the restaurant menu.
    Have never stayed at Silverton, but there is a mad max museum and a shop that might be worth a look. The Silverton pub is renowned for the TV shows and ads filmed there, and they have many cool pictures on the wall depicting this. (Pretty sure it was the Silverton pub). Personally I would stay at somewhere like mulberry vale and use that as a base, as it will be closer to supplies etc, and there is not that much out at Silverton really... But happy to be corrected on that by other travellers on this forum.
    If you're a midnight oil fan, the building on the cover of Diesel and Dust is on a private property up that way, though I have not made it there myself yet.... But it's on my list for next time.
    There is a pub on the main drag in BH, that is definitely worth a look for the very old murals on the walls inside. I think it's called the palace hotel...
    If you're into AFL or Crystals, visit Jason at the AFL/Crystal shop, also on Argent Street. Most of his crystals are locally found.
    Best cafe in town is the Silly Goat on Argent Street.
    If I think of anything else I'll post more, and if we end up heading up that way in the school hols (which is a distinct possibility) we might catch you there :-)
    Oh, I almost forgot.... Must check out Mutawintji National Park. It is amazing. A bit of a drive from BH... About 1.5 hours I think from memory, some of it on some pretty rough road but totally worth it. Locals do say not to head out on that road within 5 days of the last rain, so be warned. Check with national park info in town on the road condition. You can also get there from Whitecliffs if desired.
    Enjoy!!!!
    '92 NH GLS LWB 3.0V6 A/T ...sold Please DON'T consider
    '06 NP VR-X LWB Turbo Diesel Sports A/T..sold Please consider
    '96 NJ GLX LWB Turbo Diesel M/T..sold . Loved that car
    '08 NS GLX LWB Turbo Diesel M/T...daily driver. Wake up and Drive!

Comment

• starjunk
      Valued Member
      • Mar 2011
      • Sydney

Another thing to check out in BH is Bells Milk Bar on Patton St in the south. It takes you back to the 50's / 60's .... Not just with their milkshakes but the shop has cool retro stuff like toys etc too. Your kids will love it! I should know coz I love it and I'm a big kid.

Comment

• Ian H
        Valued Member
        • May 2015
        • Melbourne

We were at Menindee early May and stayed at Copi Hollow on grass sites right on the lake. A great spot about 15klm from town.
        2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• starjunk
          Valued Member
          • Mar 2011
          • Sydney

Originally posted by Chris.
          The 'Oil's House' as its commonly known, is just out of Burra, on right hand side on the road to Mount Bryan.
          Thanks for setting me straight on that count. It's on my bucket list :-)
          Closer to Adelaide than BH then... sorry to mislead. :-(

Comment

• starjunk
            Valued Member
            • Mar 2011
            • Sydney

All good mate, it's definitely good to see, its an iconic house. A fund was set up & builders have spent time there over the past few years rebuilding the stone walls at the rear of the house, it was in pretty bad condition. You can see the rebuilt section in this photo of Rob Hirst standing in front of it last year (photo courtesy of his daughter).

https://www.facebook.com/MidnightOil...servationFund/
            Good one! Thanks for that!! :-)
            Pity the property owner doesn't allow the public close up anymore... If you want to see it these days, I think it's from the fence only.

Comment

• starjunk
              Valued Member
              • Mar 2011
              • Sydney

General consensus seems to be that you just jump the fence, have a quick look without damaging crops or anything & then get out again. The first time I was there in about 1996 I spoke to the farmer, Mr Stockman, who was on his tractor, he was fine with people having a look. I've been back several times since & never had an issue.
              Good to know.... As long as we're not talking a wolf creek type scenario, we should be alright :-)

Comment

• hinsch
                Valued Member
                • Jan 2010
                • Perth

DON'T stop at Wilcannia
                NX 2016 GLS, Graphite, Nudge Bar, Pirelli Scorpion Plus.

Comment

• starjunk
                  Valued Member
                  • Mar 2011
                  • Sydney

Originally posted by starjunk View Post
                  Good to know.... As long as we're not talking a wolf creek type scenario, we should be alright :-)
                  So, Viking0712, how was your trip?

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X