Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Challenger/ Pajero Sport > PB -PC Challenger 2009 - 2014

PB -PC Challenger 2009 - 2014 Covering 2.5 HP diesel

Old 08-12-16
Valued Member

4wd26, thanks for post and PM. PM replied to.
Have a great week on Fraser Island.

cheers, OJ.
2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT245/75/16, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, +40mm std front Lovells, +50mm rear EHDVR Lovells, Bilsteins, Peddars 5899 bump stops, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Nightbreaker +130LB & Phillips +100 HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II, torque convertor lockup indicator.
MM4x4 Lockup Mate.
Old 08-12-16
Valued Member

You fellas have got me a bit nervous Ė I am hoping these problems donít cross over to the Pajero. Iíve got Dobinsons coils Iíve had for about 90,000km in my NP and at the time I paired them up with Lovells shock absorbers Ė all round. Recently I noticed one of the front shocks leaking so this time I thought Iíd try the Bilstein shocks. Iíve just bought two for the front to go in the struts up there with the Dobinsons coils, then I read this post. I donít have the spring compressors to disassemble/assemble the struts so will be getting that done in town after I remove the struts. Guess I should make sure that is all done correctly and everything lines up nicely.

Hope you get to the bottom of the problem OJ.

Cheers

Geoff
03 NP Manual Di-D Exceed, 2" lift, Dobinsons Springs, Lovells Shocks, ORU Winch, ARB Bullbar, Scott's Rods 3" Exhaust, ARB Compressor, Rear Air Locker, Cooper S/T Maxx, Hella Rallye 4000 S/Lights, Pioneer AVH-X5850BT DVD/Tuner w/- Reversing Camera, Sensa Tyre monitor, Uniden UH8080NB UHF, Rhino Platform Roof Rack, Hema HN-7 GPS, Engine Watchdog, CouplerTec, CTEK D250S DC-DC Charger, Snorkel, Towbar.
Old 08-12-16
Valued Member

It doesn't seem to effect the Pajero or prado front ends
One of the reasons I chose bilstein was the great reports of bilstein on ifs vehicles

The struts are different for the triton challenger, also the control arms arm not as long with different geometry
Old 08-12-16
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4wd26 View Post
It doesn't seem to effect the Pajero or prado front ends
One of the reasons I chose bilstein was the great reports of bilstein on ifs vehicles

The struts are different for the triton challenger, also the control arms arm not as long with different geometry
I was pretty certain that the PB/PC Challenger struts were the same as the MN Triton's, have I got this wrong?

Also think that shaft diameter is larger in the Bilsteins fitted to the Pajero, I will check this out, thinking 16mm for Pajero Bilsteins.

OJ.
2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT245/75/16, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, +40mm std front Lovells, +50mm rear EHDVR Lovells, Bilsteins, Peddars 5899 bump stops, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Nightbreaker +130LB & Phillips +100 HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II, torque convertor lockup indicator.
MM4x4 Lockup Mate.
Old 08-12-16
Valued Member

Sorry bad wording
Triton challenger is the same but different to the Pajero
Old 08-12-16
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4wd26 View Post
Sorry bad wording
Triton challenger is the same but different to the Pajero
Triton front - pajero rear possibly

Old 08-12-16
Valued Member

From my research rear coils and shockers from Gen 3 Pajero's and PA Challengers will physically fit the PB/PC Challenger, but spring rates and free lengths are slightly different on coils as are shocker compressed and extended lengths but this in brand dependant.

OJ.
MM4x4 Lockup Mate.
Old 08-12-16
Valued Member

OJ,
It's not obvious from your picture, but does the lower spring support of your Bilstein shock have an angled recess like the oem shocks (ie where the bottom end of the coil sits) ?

My Ultimate shocks have the recess. The spring isn't ground flat either.

In the absence of either a recess or a ground coil , there would sure to be an off-axis pressure appled to the assembly.

The resilient material between the spring and top hat helps to reduce this effect at the top end.
Old 08-12-16
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingbrown View Post
OJ,
It's not obvious from your picture, but does the lower spring support of your Bilstein shock have an angled recess like the oem shocks (ie where the bottom end of the coil sits) ?

My Ultimate shocks have the recess. The spring isn't ground flat either.

In the absence of either a recess or a ground coil , there would sure to be an off-axis pressure appled to the assembly.

The resilient material between the spring and top hat helps to reduce this effect at the top end.
Hi KB, thanks for your thoughts.

Yes Ultimate springs are made by Lovells and they are not ground flat at the top end so rely on the urethane/rubber topcoat bush to take up the even end of the coil.

Bilstein lower seat is designed for the spring wind end with a 17mm offset but the Lovells coils are 19mm in diameter. Does this 2mm matter? I do not know yet until I pull the strut out.

There is a very good chance there is not a single cause to this issue but a combination of situations.

OJ.
MM4x4 Lockup Mate.
Old 08-12-16
Valued Member

Here are 3 photos of R/H struts which I have drawn lines along the shaft of the shockers and the body of the shocker, my take is they should be parallel however Griff (who is a professional photographer) says photos can play tricks on our brains, so I am working on a way to measure and compare the angles of the shocker body to the shaft .

Does anyone else see that the shaft lines and the shocker body line are not parallel or is just my old eyes? I can see this in all 3 photos below.

OJ's Lovells Bilstein at full extension.

Griff's King Bilstein at full extension.

900 canoe's Old Man Emu at normal ride height.

Note that all 3 appear to have flexed shocker shafts but the Lovells/Bilstein is flex in the opposite direction to the Kings/Bilstein and the OME.

OJ.
MM4x4 Lockup Mate.