• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Herman4x4
    Valued Member
    • Oct 2009
    • Melton, Victoria

I hahave had both Wils Auto and 4x4 Obsession both in Melton do work for me on my NP.

Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk
    Cheers,
    Andrew.

2008 NS Diesel Auto - stock as a rock. Planning Tow bar, dual battery system, cargo barrier, bullbar, winch, lights, roof rack and suspension.
    Jayco Starcraft 17.58-3.

Comment

• VuPaj
      • Dec 2016
      • Ardeer

Originally posted by Vaughan View Post
      Hi VuPaj,

Im located in Melton, so not far from you!

I replaced my timing chain guide, part from local mitsi dealer (had to order it in) <$50 and about an hour or less to replace.

EGR blank, I got off ebay, very cheap as its a small stainless steel plate, and can be fitted in less than 10 mins.

Where are you going for ECU reflash? Be interested to see the improvements you get.

My paj is off for a dyno run tomorrow to try and get to the bottom of high fuel usage. Dreading the results, as I have a feeling it may be injector pump!
      Hi Vaughan,

Had my ECU reprogram done at HP-F in dandenong and it seems to go very well with the later 2006 NP. matt was really good and offered very good service.
      Have had it back for nearly a week now and have not had a chance to check on fuel usage yet. will do so when i refill this week to check on the claimed 10% improvement claim.
      It did use approx 11.5Lt/100km for 50/50 use previously.

my observations are as follow:
      - revs reduced by about 200rpm at 100km/hr .
      - torque came on nicely at about 1800rpm and gives me a whack of it at about 2200rpm (i got a dyno tune print out if you would like to see), meaning i do it easy getting up and over the westgate bridge.
      - have not towed yet but should be no issue pulling my 1700kg boat.

now, would anyone here know or recommend someone to blank my egr and replace chain guide and possibly clean out the intake manifold please?

Comment

• Mr Bishi
        • Apr 2012
        • South West WA

Just Bought &amp; made it 20km

Just recently bought a 2002 NM Exceed with the 3.2Did pre common rail with 212000km from a car yard in Perth. Drove about 20km then noticed at a set of lights that the Paj was running really rough and got about a kilometer up the road before she coughed and died.
        I tried restarting it and it would rev the guts out of the motor & die again. My first thought was that some drongo from the car yard had put petrol in it. I let it cool down while waiting for a mate to pick me up. When he arrived I tried again and it seemed to run fine again. I went around the corner to a BP fuel station and filled up with fresh diesel. Headed down the road and again it started running rough, then stalled again.
        I tried restarting and it was knocking, running rough & smoking like crazy. The car yard organised a pick up the next day and their mechanic said it was a fuel pump sensor so they sent it to a fuel injection shop in Freo who changed both sensors but still played up.
        They then fitted a rebuilt fuel pump and I picked it up and drove the 150km home without a problem. After having a short break, loaded up the family to go into town and the Paj started to idle real rough and billow out a fair bit of smoke. It was running smoother when I got to town but not perfect and over the next couple of days did another 450km.
        I plan on blocking the EGR, cleaning the inlet manifold, adjusting valve rockers, replacing the top chain rub block & give her a service. Will see how it goes over the next few weeks.
        Last edited by Mr Bishi; 31-01-17, 09:06 PM.
        1994 Volvo 850 T5 2.3 Turbo Wagon
        1997 Pajero GLS 2.8TD Wide Body
        1994 Pajero GLS 2.8TD Import High Roof
        1995 Holden TF Rodeo 2.8TD Dual Cab Ute
        2002 Pajero NM Exceed 3.2TD Did

Comment

• Chainsaw
          • Oct 2016
          • Sunshine Coast Aust

Mr Bishi
          Suspect problem is that is going into limp mode. Turning off and restarting is ok for awhile then goes limp again. Have a look at this thread, may get some ideas. https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum...ad.php?t=55052

The 3.2 4m41 non-common rail engine has an idle butterfly that uses a vacuum diaphragm to close the throttle butterfly about 95% in order to reduce noise and...

Also look at this utube clip and see if yours is working.

Comment

• Mr Bishi
            • Apr 2012
            • South West WA

Well I started pulling the manifold off last night and got it completely off and started trying to clean it up tonight. What a mess, just chock full of crud at 212,000km. Found that the EGR had already been blanked off.
            Mine is an early pre common rail and has a one piece inlet manifold so is a dog of a job trying to clean inside. Got the inlet piece & throttle body clean after ages of scrubbing & brushing with kero. Oven cleaner was a waste of time.
            Found that when they fitted the new fuel pump that they broke one of the vacuum solenoid hose connections and tried to super glue it but was flapping in the breeze.
            The o-rings on the throttle body were stuffed allowing oil to leak and drip on the connector plugs below so have a slimy mess on all the electrical connections.
            Will pick up new inlet manifold gasket tomorrow and order the o-rings and vacuum solenoid valve. This is going to take longer than anticipated.
            Taking the odd photo as I go along and will post them when I'm finished.

Comment

• Shopping Trolley
              Valued Member
              • Nov 2013
              • Brisbane

Originally posted by Mr Bishi View Post
              Well I started pulling the manifold off last night and got it completely off and started trying to clean it up tonight. What a mess, just chock full of crud at 212,000km. Found that the EGR had already been blanked off.
              Mine is an early pre common rail and has a one piece inlet manifold so is a dog of a job trying to clean inside. Got the inlet piece & throttle body clean after ages of scrubbing & brushing with kero. Oven cleaner was a waste of time.
              Found that when they fitted the new fuel pump that they broke one of the vacuum solenoid hose connections and tried to super glue it but was flapping in the breeze.
              The o-rings on the throttle body were stuffed allowing oil to leak and drip on the connector plugs below so have a slimy mess on all the electrical connections.
              Will pick up new inlet manifold gasket tomorrow and order the o-rings and vacuum solenoid valve. This is going to take longer than anticipated.
              Taking the odd photo as I go along and will post them when I'm finished.
              You are lucky that they replaced the fuel injection pump. They would have lost huge money on that so expect the workmanship to be poor as they would have told their mechanic to do it as cheap as possible. Also try to see if it was a new or second hand pump.
              2003 NP DiD Auto: 265/75R16 Yokohama Geolander G015 A/T, dual batteries, Kings Springs and Monroe Shocks, to do list that is more expensive than the truck

Comment

• jbnp
                • Jun 2015
                • Bargara

MY06 NP. 174 000 kms
                second owner. bought it 2 1/2 yrs ago with 134 000 kms. original owner replaced dmf with smf and heavy duty clutch.
                egr blanked at about 150 000 haven't cleaned manifold yet but will be soon. replaced chain guide at about 160 000, no real signs of failure but i've been toold that the chain guide issue was rectified by 06 ( might be a pile of crap, but mine was fine). No pump issues as of yet and hopefully none on the horizon.
                lots of backlash and a weird clunking sound coming from the rear on up shift. had it to two different mechanics and they reckon its bushes. I say garbage it seems like a tail shaft or uni joint but they dont reckon. it hasnt gotten any worse since ive had it though but ill find it.
                all in all its been a great car so far and would definately get another one.
                Np Glx. 2" lovells lift, 265/75r16 Nitto Terra Grappler, DP Chip, power window mod, light bar, rhino racks, awning, k&n filter, polyairs, smf heavy duty clutch, boos bash plates.

Comment

• Nab
                  Valued Member
                  • Mar 2012
                  • Perth

Originally posted by jbnp View Post
                  replaced chain guide at about 160 000, no real signs of failure but i've been toold that the chain guide issue was rectified by 06 ( might be a pile of crap, but mine was fine).
                  The new style of guide was a fitted from factory from October 05.
                  SOLD 2004 NP 3.2 auto
                  NOW 2014 Ranger XLT auto

Comment

• Mr Bishi
                    • Apr 2012
                    • South West WA

Thankfully it was a third party fuel injection shop that fitted a rebuilt fuel pump and comes with 12 month warranty. When I removed the manifold I got a good look at the pump and it is a fully reconditioned one. Nice and shiny looking with yellow paint on all the screws.
                    Finally got the manifold clean & put it back on last night but have to chase up a replacement vacuum solenoid. Hopefully have it back up and running soon.

Comment

• Mr Bishi
                      • Apr 2012
                      • South West WA

Well got it all back together and took a while to bleed the fuel through but eventually started and idled smooth as silk with the cleaned up manifold and replacement vacuum switch.
                      Took it for a run around the block and smoked a little as expected but cleared up.
                      When I checked the timing chain rubbing block it was near new with only the lightest wear.
                      Took it down to the fuel station and filled up with ultimate diesel & added some CEM additives so will see how it performs on the weekend.

Below are some photo's of the manifold and I don't know how long it had the EGR blocked for. This is at 213,000km of mainly country driving.
                      Attached Files

Comment

• garfield
                        Valued Member
                        • Sep 2007
                        • Moonta Bay SA

Np 2003

Purchased GLX (2003) new 2004, 180km, serviced every 7500 to 10000 km by me.
                        replaced companion shafts due to towing as precaution.
                        replaced vacuum pump (failed)
                        chain guide at 100,000
                        Blocked EGR 110,000
                        Changed over front wheel bearings at 150000 km as precaution. same noise
                        replaced all springs and shockers with new hand me downs from forum member
                        Brake pads changed at 110,000 front, rear 80000 and just replaced rear again last week.
                        Tow a 2 tonne van mainly and local towing trailer.
                        ABS has not worked for a number of years, have changed over brake master cylinder no difference and Mitsi couldn't fix.
                        Great vehicle to drive love it only issue how long will the pump last and will I get early overhaul ???
                        Don't want to change over and end up with new particle filter
                        Garfield

Comment

• Mr Bishi
                          • Apr 2012
                          • South West WA

Did a full engine oil flush last Friday night with the CEM Flushing Oil Concentrate as per instructions and did a 400km round trip to Perth on Saturday and she went well.
                          While fitting a new air filter this arvo I checked the oil level and spot on but hard to see as it is so clean.
                          Fitted a cabin air filter as well so now all the air coming into the cabin area is filtered.
                          Noticed that there is a small oil leak somewhere around under the turbo. Anyone have the same problem? Need to get it onto a hoist to get a good look.
                          Bought from the local wreckers an alloy bull-bar from an NP today and will pick it up tomorrow. Also got the relay for the front fog lights and now they work too.

Comment

• Nab
                            Valued Member
                            • Mar 2012
                            • Perth

Originally posted by Mr Bishi View Post
                            Noticed that there is a small oil leak somewhere around under the turbo. Anyone have the same problem?
                            Most likely the oil pressure switch, a common fault. Bit of a pain to change though, especially if you have big hands!
                            SOLD 2004 NP 3.2 auto
                            NOW 2014 Ranger XLT auto

Comment

• Mr Bishi
                              • Apr 2012
                              • South West WA

Ah yes the old oil pressure switch. I recall reading about them failing as a common fault on some threads. Will get one ordered and change it out. Cheers Nab.

Comment

• Johnballoon
                                • Aug 2016
                                • Sweden

Bumping this one. Mine's at 230k, and I've had idle problems the last 10000km.
                                I caved in before the pump, removed the pump and sent it in for a dyno run and repair suggestion. Not sure if its going to be a replacement or if its possible to repair. I guess I'll notice by the bill

Meanwhile, I'm going to try to replace the fuel tank which is in bad shape, plus install a secondary fuel filter. Don't want this to happen again.

Edit: I've also done wheel bearings on 3/4 wheels, the oil pressure switch, and it just recently started leaking oil from the rear diff. Gonna figure that one out as well, probably only the sealing.
                                Last edited by Johnballoon; 07-04-17, 03:29 AM.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X