Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Challenger/ Pajero Sport > PB -PC Challenger 2009 - 2014

PB -PC Challenger 2009 - 2014 Covering 2.5 HP diesel

Old 17-08-16
Valued Member

While you are swapping the rear coils, I suggest you consider upgrading the rubber cone springs at the sam time, $125 and a few extra minutes to fit and these will take the deep compression loads off your springs, shockers and articulation stops.

https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum...ad.php?t=45233

OJ.
2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT245/75/16, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Nightbreaker +130LB & Phillips +100 HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
MM4x4 Lockup Mate.
Old 17-08-16

Hey Ent,

Also looking at another Simpson crossing late Q3 or early Q4 next year.

Long range tank - I've got the BD long range tank. Doesn't impact on departure angle and ground clearance only suffers by about 5mm or so. $1,100 for the equivalent of a couple of jerrys is steep but ..... it's still a couple of jerrys less. If your back yard is the rocky hill trails around the Apple Isle, you're right to question for 2 reasons. Your ramp over angle is impacted due to the extra length forward and you now have no stone guard (still looking to fabricate one but struggling to come up with a design that picks up more than 3 solid mounting points).

Roof racks - Be careful with loadings. It's gonna take a pounding - unavoidable as some of the dunes require decent momentum but are chopped up at the base, also there's some pretty tight turns at the base of some of the dunes.

Could you drop seating from 4 to 3? If so, you could remove the double seat (and a lot of weight) and fabricate up a wheel carrier to bolt into the seat mounts. Removes serious weight from your roof. Planning to design and weld one up during Xmas shut down.

Water needed? Personally I think that 5lt pp max is heaps for drinking and wash up unless you plan to have a bath. I'm not sure where the 20l per person per day comes from. A couple of packs of baby wipes are light and small and can give you a decent wash, particularly important if you're sharing a tent. Do recommend carrying water in multiple smaller containers. If one of your tent pegs jams through your 25L container, you've lost a lot of water. Packed in 10s or 5s lessens the risk.

Spares - Only thing I would add to OJ's comments is a scan gauge or at least some way to read fault codes, together with a printed list of the fault code descriptions. If you throw a fault code you can not only track down what caused it but can clear the code if you believe you have rectified.

Tires - Maybe just personal choice but I always prefer quality ATs to Muddies in the desert or on the beach. Greater surface contact area and less trenching when it's gets really powdery.

Winch? - only of real value in the Simpson if you've got a mate with solid footing within reach to winch off. At that stage, why wouldn't you just snatch? Personally I think Maxtrax/Treds and a long handled shovel are far more value in the Simpson.

Anything else to consider?
  • Camp away from any permanent or semi permanent water source. Unless you're in a roof top tent, the bush rats will annoy the crap out of you all night and they're big buggers.
  • Airbags or Pedders cones to help bottoming out the rear end.

Cheers
Wes
2014 Auto PC Challenger with TJM Bullbar, HID converted IPFs, Uniden UHF, ARB Roof Rack with Kings Awning & LED, Safari Snorkel, Boos Bash Plates, 265-75R16 Copper ST Maxxs, 80AH AGM Battery and Redarc DC-DC to power Waeco. Custom rear drawer system, 1/2 cargo barrier and tilt fridge slide. HR Towbar, Ultimate Suspension, Brown Davis LR tank, Piranha Diff Breathers, 2 1/2" S/S cat back, ScangaugeII, SPV EGR controller, Bushskinz side steps, DPChip

Next mods - Lockup Mate, LED Light Bar
Old 18-08-16
Valued Member

Ok a few needed

Will check out the Pedder cones as makes sense. Did look at 80 series ones but new custom variable diameter 10mm to 16mm springs solved the bottoming out issue for most work. Heavy rear springs might be needed as the 17mm ones come in at 605mm unloaded and I want say at least 552mm on the rear EBH. My custom springs are not intended for max GVM and come in 577mm without load as wanted to stick to factory maximum height for general use. Might do a load test. Of course where the weight is critical as mid point is back of front seats with 50/50 load spread front and rear. Might be even the 17mm springs will not achieve my minimum height at GVM.

Interested in the long range tank. Bit worried by earlier reports of mounting points breaking and need to think long and hard about something generally not needed in Tassie. But like the idea it puts variable weight in the centre of the chassis.

Good advice on rodent issue. In Tassie we are getting increasing issues from animals due to tourist feeding them. Some native crows have got very good at breaking into luggage.

Did think of roof top tent but they fall into love or hate category and not sure what camp I am in. Toying with Anaconda Dune type tent as spent too many years bushwalking crawling around on my knees in hiking tents. Plan a bit of luxury camping for a change.
2014 PC Challenger, manual, factory tow-bar, factory front diff protector, TJM inter-cooler plate, Bushskinz manual transmission protection plate, ProRack S16 roof racks, front elocker, Drummond Motor Sport front struts, custom 16mm King rear springs with Bilstein Dampeners, Buzz Rack Runner 3 bike platform, Eclipse Nav head unit, GME TX3800BW UHF, 16x8 CSA Raptor rims, 265/75R16 Maxxis MT-762, orToyo AT/2 265/70R16 Triton rims, BFGoodrich 235/85/R16 Triton rims, or Factory tyres and rims.
Old 18-08-16
Valued Member

If the Anaconda Dune type tent is the single pole type, consider getting the twin side poles as an option if more than one person is using the tent.
Old 18-08-16
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ent View Post

Good advice on rodent issue. In Tassie we are getting increasing issues from animals due to tourist feeding them. Some native crows have got very good at breaking into luggage.

Think you will find they are Ravens ENT. There are no Crows in Tassie. Yes they are very intelligent.
Old 18-08-16
Valued Member

Hi

I think from memory they are Corvus and very smart little buggers having worked out zips and such things. Almost rumors of them undoing combination locks. You will not see them and then turn around and back and the blighters are helping themselves to your supplies.

But back on thread. Yeap, few things to consider. Any thoughts on "best" battery".

Cheers
2014 PC Challenger, manual, factory tow-bar, factory front diff protector, TJM inter-cooler plate, Bushskinz manual transmission protection plate, ProRack S16 roof racks, front elocker, Drummond Motor Sport front struts, custom 16mm King rear springs with Bilstein Dampeners, Buzz Rack Runner 3 bike platform, Eclipse Nav head unit, GME TX3800BW UHF, 16x8 CSA Raptor rims, 265/75R16 Maxxis MT-762, orToyo AT/2 265/70R16 Triton rims, BFGoodrich 235/85/R16 Triton rims, or Factory tyres and rims.
Old 18-08-16

On a side note....which maps and books (Hema?) do people recommend for researching tracks and desert trips as I am also i early stages of planning a 2017 trip.

Thanks in advance.
Now gone but still have great memories of adventures - 2010 PB auto Challenger, Factory tow bar, King springs, Oztec shocks, Firestone airbags, TJM steel bar, snorkel, bash plates. Redarc brake controller, custon draws, second batery in back. Anderson plug, redarc isolator, manual circuit breaker. Towing jayco eagle outback 2005.
Turbo replaced under warranty at 159200 klm. Engine dead at 190000 klm.
Old 19-08-16
Valued Member

Haven't yet done the simpson trip, it is on my list.

Quote:
1. A long range tank is tempting but reading the forum suggests the best offers only 100 litres of effective capacity versus say 65 litres effective capacity standard. If it was say 130 litres then no brainier but lot of money for small extra. Also, in Tassie tank clearance big issue with solid rocks being tank killers so not keen to compromise but having a 1000 km range rather tempting.
The factory fuel capacity is rubbish for touring. The current crop of ute-derived 4WDs all seem to have this problem, the Pajero Sport makes it even worse. Those long range tanks look like a fantastic retrofit. From the prices I've seen they are cheaper than I would have expected. You would need to make a few trips to get the moneys worth, but I'm sure you would.

They sell plastic 20L jerry cans at bunnings for $20 for extra capacity.

Quote:
2. Plan to run second complete spare. Roof basket sounds the go for it but with say 30 litres of diesel in 10 litre containers I will be pushing the roof's loading. Not sure what the LT spare will weigh.
Would be cautious about putting fuel or tyres on the roof. The roof rails flex with my own weight (75kg) up there. I prefer to put the lighter and bulky stuff up there - mattress/tent/camping chairs/bedding. All held in by a cargo net. I would mount the heavier stuff lower/inside the cabin.

If you are serious about loading up your roof, I'd recommend you look at aftermarket options. ARB do a channel mount basket.

Quote:
3. Toying with the http://www.tyretrek.com.au/ option with twin jerry cans so forty litres but not sure on cost and annoyance value of the swinging it away to open the rear hatch. Anyone used one with standard Challenger towbar? Basically how does fact mingle with marketing claims? If the go then roof basket can take extra fuel. Not a lover of fuel in the cabin.
Interesting. What's the price?
I'm a bit apprehensive about having the weight supported off the end of the tow-bar. There would be some serious leverage, no?

Quote:
4. Water needed?
Yup. I always bring as much as I can fit.

Quote:
7. Roof pod a good or bad idea instead of a basket? Any brands to get or avoid?
Personal preference really. Not a fan of the pods myself. The beauty of the baskets is that you can carry large items which won't fit in the cabin or in a pod. The pods do offer weather/dust protection, but they make roof bags that offer that too.

Quote:
Hi
But back on thread. Yeap, few things to consider. Any thoughts on "best" battery".
New battery won't hurt. Most people froth over the Optima series. Personally I'd just carry some jumper cables so you can jump from your AUX battery or the other vehicle.

Last edited by pajeromack; 19-08-16 at 08:24 AM.
Old 19-08-16
Valued Member

Hi

Agree with the roof load limit makes it better for light bulky stuff. Numbers in the vehicle are between one and three, the joys of planning with other people so no idea on internal space.

I am increasingly leaning to the long range tank for the reasons you give. Even in Tassie the 70 litre tank can be problematic as the West Coast ran out of diesel now twice on our trips. No problem as a tourist passing through but rather limited long 4x4 trips using Queenstown as a base. Just wish it was say 120 effective capacity. Friend just came back from a trip Bourke and found diesel 4x4s camped waiting for diesel at one location, he was petrol so ok to continue.

It is interesting how personal experiences colours your mindset. With the Challenger three times I have had to use the spare. Rather dampens your willingness to explore once used with a safety first mindset. At low pressures now three times (twice with me) I have seen a stick attempt to enter through the rim/tyre bead area. On a car I lost both tyres on one side to a sharp rock and on Saturday found in Tassie very limited ability to get mobile again. Only because my brother personally knew a wrecker could I source something that got the car mobile. In all cases canned tyre "sealer" failed to work. I have been "slimed" by marketing claims.

In Tassie despite the tourist tag you outside business hours are largely left your own devices so rather use to "remote" touring issues, but with option to call home.

Tyre Trek is interesting as a "perfect" solution if it works. Cost though is likely very high. Every forum I have read expresses concern over leverage and corrugated roads but near impossible to find reports good or bad. That with say a 107 Davis tank would give 140 litres of fuel so 700 km offroad and touring range of say 1200kms safely.

As a Tasmanian we have the added hassle of the boat trip with fuel and immutable deadline so not like a case of negotiating a few extra days off work if things go pear shape. You could be weeks trying to get the car back dealing with the world's worse thing, a Tasmanian Government Business Enterprise (GBE or better know as GBH) in the Spirit of Tasmanian Government Bureaucracy.

Cheers
Old 19-08-16
Resident

Travelling with 3, I can understand the desire for the roof rack. If you're down to 2, make it all fit inside. If I can do it with Shorty, what's your excuse?

Another option to consider. Body lift. Then get the long range tank made taller to suit, which increases the capacity without needing to sacrifice so much ground clearance. I originally only installed the body lift on Shorty so I could get a larger long range tank (a whole 15 extra litres over the "normal" long range, but it meant I went from 75 litres factory to 120 litres aftermarket - it was easier to pay the price for an extra 45 litres than it was an extra 30 litres). Of course, once I had the body lift, I had room to run 33s.

Personally, I wouldn't trust the tow bar carrier. Most people who use them, even those who think they do "real" 4wding, wouldn't understand what you do with yours. In my opinion, you can't even begin to compare the dynamic loads of a 250kg ball weight versus a 100kg mass above and behind where the ball would otherwise be. Have you considered where the centre of gravity is for the tow bar carrier, and how it will move around, vs the loading of a trailer coupling? It may work for some, but I wouldn't try it in your situation.

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....