• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jalapeno
    • Apr 2015
    • Mount Waverley, Victoria

How-to: Custom Curtains without permanent damage to trim

Hi guys,

The other weekend I decided to make up some curtains for the NP which were completely removable and would not damage the trim in any way, in case anyone else in interested in a similar project I am posting a few pictures.

Materials: For the fabric I used some discounted thermal fabric from spotlight. This is similar to blackout fabric with the acrylic coating on one side, but is cheaper and not as heavy. I also used some elastic strapping, some spare string I had lying around, curtain wire, and some suction cups with hooks on them.

Front and Rear Windows:
    Use a pry-bar or screwdriver to pop the top of the trim back. The photos show the trim in the rear. It is held on by little plugs which just pop out. At the front, you might also need to unscrew the handles on the trim to either side of the windows.

Tie a small loop of string, and loop it over the little plug. I think my loops had a diameter around 50 mm. Once the loop is in place, just pop the piece of trim with the plug back into its socket.

Now that I have some loops in place, I cut a bit of curtain wire to the right length to hook it up between them. You can buy this at bunnings/masters for about $6 and it comes with some small hooks which screw into the ends of the wire. The hooks at either end can be hooked on the loops you just added.

Now get some of your curtain fabric, fold over about 15mm along the top of it, and stitch it down then thread the curtain wire through. Now you can easily hook it into place or take it down. If you want to sell the car without the curtains, just pop the trim off and remove your loops of string.

Last edited by Jalapeno; 29-04-15, 10:11 PM.
    2003 NP Pajero GLS DiD Manual with alloy bullbar, bilstein and lovells with rear air bags, spotlights, snorkel, bash plates, UHF, dual batteries, electronic brake controller, roof tray and awning, cooper AT3's, home made rear shelf and curtains, waeco CF50.
  • Jalapeno
    • Apr 2015

Far Rear Side Windows

The far rear side windows took a bit of thinking...we'll see how these ones stand up over time with dust and heat and movement...No process photos but the following photos show how they are attached and I'll describe my process of making them afterwards.

The process
    I held the fabric up to the window and marked the shape with a pencil on it, then took it inside and cut it to size.

Next, I took some little suction cup hooks which I bought at masters and I stuck them in the corners of the windows. I held the fabric I had cut up to the window and marked the location of the hooks.

Next, I used a crappy old soldering iron to melt some holes in the fabric where the top of the suction cup hooks could be poked through. This might not work with some fabrics, but worked really well with the thermal fabric which has the backing on it.

Now, I pulled the hooks through the hole in the top of the suction cups, push the fabric into place with the melted holes going over the top of the suction cup, and push the hook back into place to stop the curtain falling off.

I can remove the curtains as required but I leave the suction cups on the window permanently so they do not collect dirt and grease from being moved around.
    2003 NP Pajero GLS DiD Manual with alloy bullbar, bilstein and lovells with rear air bags, spotlights, snorkel, bash plates, UHF, dual batteries, electronic brake controller, roof tray and awning, cooper AT3's, home made rear shelf and curtains, waeco CF50.

Comment

• RUGGA
      Valued Member
      • Nov 2014
      • Adelaide

Great Thinking. Simple, cheap and quick too. I have actually been in a few positions where this would have worked great…… (if its rocking, don't …… ……. LoL) Just Joking.
      02 NM 3.2, Auto, Exceed, I/C and sump guards, L&B 2" lift, 265/75/16 OPAT2.

Comment

• Jalapeno
        • Apr 2015

Side Door Windows

For the side door windows I made a piece of curtain with elastic straps on the back that can be slipped into place over the top of the open door.

First, I cut some fabric roughly to the right size and used stickytape to hold it to the door while I marked out the correct shape with a pencil and took it inside to cut it.

After cutting it to the right shape, I stuck it back on the door with some stickytape again, then I used safety pins to pin the elastic in the right locations to make the curtain sit right.

I took the fabric inside and sewed the elastics into place, and here is the finished product:

It turned out very cheap and easy to do. My only concern is whether the elastic may deteriorate in the sun over time, but I'll see how it goes! I hope these posts help give someone some ideas.

Comment

• Jalapeno
          • Apr 2015

Thanks Rugga. Next step for the back is to build some storage/fridge space under a false floor behind the second row seats, with some additional panels which can be lifted into place when the second row seats are folded down to extend the false floors length giving space to sleep in the back on top of gear and equipment. Me and the missus will be touring Aus soon and although we have a tent want to be able to sleep in the back of the car here and there...with a bit of privacy!

Comment

• Highlander
            • Oct 2017
            • Perth, WA

heyo,

Bit of a thread resurrection here but just wanted to say thanks for posting this, my wife was looking at how to do this to our NM and found this guide really helpful.

How did the fridge/storage space build go?
            2002 NM 3.5L Auto GLS

Comment

• Bestie
              • Nov 2017
              • texas

Originally posted by Jalapeno View Post
              Hi guys,

The other weekend I decided to make up some curtains for the NP which were completely removable and would not damage the trim in any way, in case anyone else in interested in a similar project I am posting a few pictures.

Materials: For the fabric I used some discounted thermal fabric from spotlight. This is similar to blackout fabric with the acrylic coating on one side, but is cheaper and not as heavy. I also used some elastic strapping, some spare string I had lying around, curtain wire, and some suction cups with hooks on them.

Front and Rear Windows:
              Use a pry-bar or screwdriver to pop the top of the trim back. The photos show the trim in the rear. It is held on by little plugs which just pop out. At the front, you might also need to unscrew the handles on the trim to either side of the windows.

Tie a small loop of string, and loop it over the little plug. I think my loops had a diameter around 50 mm. Once the loop is in place, just pop the piece of trim with the plug back into its socket.

Now that I have some loops in place, I cut a bit of curtain wire to the right length to hook it up between them. You can buy this at bunnings/masters for about $6 and it comes with some small hooks which screw into the ends of the wire. The hooks at either end can be hooked on the loops you just added.

Now get some of your curtain fabric, fold over about 15mm along the top of it, and stitch it down then thread the curtain wire through. Now you can easily hook it into place or take it down. If you want to sell the car without the curtains, just pop the trim off and remove your loops of string.

Genius creativity, simple, affordable, I mean, it's just excellent.with some additional panels which can be lifted into place when the second row seats are folded down to extend the false floors length giving space to sleep in the back on top of gear and equipment.However,I don't know whether you have heard of these https://hovement.com/best-blackout-curtains/ ? Being the world's best curtain dealers, I think you can improve your skills.You may also consider ordering one curtain for usage in your car.It can be excellent in hindering penetration of excess light thus having optimal fun inside the car.I'm sure any car buyer would embrace a car with such an accossory as well.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
              Working...
              X