Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Challenger/ Pajero Sport > PB -PC Challenger 2009 - 2014

PB -PC Challenger 2009 - 2014 Covering 2.5 HP diesel

Old 24-04-15

Smile Seat modifications

I have suffered from Arthritis for many years in my tail bone area,probably as a result of being a fitter and turner for many years.
Most vehicle seats are a problem for me with the last Pajero being the best.
The Challenger felt OK for the test drive, but longer drives my B-- gets very sore.
I priced Recaro at an amazing $3000 each.
As I cannot afford another vehicle improving the existing was the only alternative in order to preserve my warranty and get some comfort.
Cars inside were one of a number of trimmers who said they could soften the seat by removing a layer of hard foam and replacing it with softer materials.
I selected cars inside because they were the closest to home.
When I delivered the vehicle I was asked did I require lower back relief in the seats,I had not heard of this but it was explained that a cut out is made and softer foam inserted where your tail bone would rest.
This was the perfect improvement for my condition and I am very happy with the result.
The seat looks original,I notice a slight increase in bulk,but would defy others to notice,so no point in photos really.
If you are interested ring the guy and ask for an Email showing what is done.
No there were no calculations or other estimates,after all it is just a lump of foam which is cleverly modified to provide a softer seat for those who require it.
Regards
Tough dog 40mm raised suspension,ARB shocks,MCC bull bar,electric winch,bash plates,draws , engel fridge,dual batteries,air comp,water tank and electric pump,inverter,DC/DC charger,air bags, converter lock up system.
Old 24-04-15
Valued Member

Would have to say that I expect the XLS seats are better than the base model as I can't complain heavily about them but on longer drives (3hr) I still get a bit of a sore arse/hip/lower back. I tend to have it tilted back otherwise the seating position is not great. Wife lately after a couple of trips has been complaining a little about the passenger seat as well.
Old 24-04-15

We find the drivers seat to be good (now 40,000 km) but lumbar support poor. Driver and passenger seats now have spring steel seat supports available at camping shows (and I am sure elsewhere) and the difference is amazing. However, we are all different and require different solutions.
PB 2011 LS white manual, OEM towbar and rear cargo barrier, Redarc EB brake controller, window tint, ORS drawers and fridge slide, Thule roof bars, Old Man Emu 200 kg-GVM suspension upgrade, towing 1400 kg wind-up camper trailer
Old 24-04-15

I find the XLS leather seats with the electric adjustment to be about the best of any vehicle I have ever owned, even on long distance touring.

I have never found myself having to stick a balled fist into my back to relieve the pain as I have with other cars.

When I first test drove the Challenger it was a base model with standard seats and both the missus and I thought they were very average.
Old 24-04-15

Send a message via Skype™ to selsij

Why isn't that MMA don't realise that the seats that come standard in all models of the Challenger are NOT to the correct set up for Australians?
They mat be alright for the shorter, lighter weight Asian frame but NOT for the Australian one. I've put spacers in my front seats, and whilst they are not perfect, they are much better. I don't feel that I am sliding off any more.
I'd gladly pay a few more dollars at initial purchase for some descent seats.
PB MY 11 Base Silver manual Challenger, OEM bull bar, Narva 150's, Uniden UH7700HF, Coil Rites, Cooper LT AT3's, Hayman Reese tow bar, twin 35 AH deep cycle batteries, Red Arc ebrh, Scan Gauge II, EvaCool 35, Oztrail Awning, Cree day lights, Sierra 753S Air card.
Old 25-04-15

Quote:
Originally Posted by selsij View Post
I'd gladly pay a few more dollars at initial purchase for some descent seats.
Well you did have the option to buy the XLS with better seats.
Old 26-09-15

After getting some feedback from "reciprovac" regarding his thoughts on the seat modification, I spoke to Adam at Inside Cars and decided to have our front seats modified.
On meeting Adam at his workshop he explained in detail what he would be doing to the seats, replacing the original foam with a twin layer that would give more flexibility. He also flattened out the rear of the seat, in his opinion the raised rear would tend to push the body forward, he also softened the front of the passenger seat, my wife is vertically challenged and this softening would lessen the pressure on the back of her legs.
First impressions on the drive home from Wantirna to Geelong
(11/2 hr) were very good, wife and I agreed we were sitting in the seat not on the seat, we could feel the foam actually working.
If any other Melbourne/Vic forum members are suffering from the Challenger seats I would not hesitate to reccomend Adam.
Cost for the work done $370.
We are off on a couple of trips soon so time will tell.
Old 26-09-15
Valued Member

Sounds like a good option but my main compliant is they do not go far enough back.
2014 PC Challenger, manual, factory tow-bar, factory front diff protector, TJM inter-cooler plate, Bushskinz manual transmission protection plate, ProRack S16 roof racks, front elocker, Drummond Motor Sport front struts, custom 16mm King rear springs with Bilstein Dampeners, Buzz Rack Runner 3 bike platform, Eclipse Nav head unit, GME TX3800BW UHF, 16x8 CSA Raptor rims, 265/75R16 Maxxis MT-762, orToyo AT/2 265/70R16 Triton rims, BFGoodrich 235/85/R16 Triton rims, or Factory tyres and rims.

Last edited by Ent; 27-09-15 at 07:22 AM.
Old 26-09-15
Valued Member

We found bringing the car home from Newcastle to Melbourne the LS leather seats were hard as a brick but they seem to have softened up now (10K) so hopefully they will do it a little more then they will be perfect.
Paul 2015 PC Challenger LS Auto - 2" Ultimate lift, BFG KM2s, catch can and resistor mod, Custom MCC Bullbar ,12000lb winch , Dual batteries ,Boo's Bash plates ,E-Drive throttle controller, In car entertainment and more.
Old 27-09-15
Valued Member

In the PB era (and MN Tritons too), spacers were the simple solution to comfortable front seats. They certainly worked for me.
Does the PC benefit from fitting spacers in the same way ?