• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Richo0360
    • Apr 2016
    • victoria

android auto

Ive seen a past post regarding, AA connection issues. but there it stopped. I am having lots of issues with connection, sometimes it works sometimes it dosnt. my phone says AA is connected but head unit says it isnt. I have a HTC running lollipop 5.1. Has any one found any solutions or having similar probs. When working it is fantastic. apple car play seams easier, but prefer google maps, especially since u can download maps and use online
  • Djlech
    • Dec 2015
    • Brisbane

Change to iPhone. You could also try flashing different versions of firmware. Google maps doesn't work offline even if you have it pre downloaded as the HU requires internet connection. Google has to step up android auto is a pile of junk atm.

Comment

• PaulN
      • Apr 2016
      • Queensland

I have only used Android auto a few times (about 10) and have found that I need to have the car's screen booted up and working before I put the USB plug into the phone (the car end of USB is always left plugged in). When I do this it always seems to connect without problems. I am using a Huawei Y5 (a cheapie) running android 5.1.1.

However if I leave my phone plugged in when I turn the car off, when I turn the car back on it never seems to reconnect automatically - I always have to unplug the phone and plug it back in again.

I have definitely been able to use google maps offline. I definitely have data turned off on my phone and have been able to navigate around my local area using the offline maps. I have offline maps of Brisbane and Wide Bay (where i am) stored but not the bits in between - it will quite happily let me select a Brisbane address but will then tell me it can't work out a route. When I get home and connect the phone to wifi it is then able to work out a route. So it seems to use real-time data when it can and offline data when it can't.

A separate issue is that the offline google maps seem to get corrupted on my phone. I think normally it will download the maps for 29 days and then give you a countdown (23 days remaining etc) but most of my maps become flagged (by the google maps app) as unuseable before they expire. Anyway this is a separate issue unrelated to android auto of course.

Still tossing up whether to use offline google maps for trips or use my existing aftermarket GPS which stores maps for all of Australia, has free lifetime updates but more importantly has a screen that can be placed in an optimal position for glancing at while driving. The screen in the PS, while nice and large, is fixed and faces the middle passenger in the back seat not the driver. It's a long way for the eyes to glance over when driving.
      Pajero Sport QE GLS White

Comment

• bjdani
        • Mar 2016
        • Brisbane

I've also found that if I have the Android Auto app open on my phone before connecting via USB, AndroidAuto connects successfully every time in the car. If I don't, it takes a few plug in attempts before it is recognised.

Comment

• Heisenberg
          • Feb 2016
          • Brisbane

Android Auto is great when its working. Consistency of connectivity a real issue. No doubt caused by so many manufacturers and their different flavours of the OS. Its still software related so we should see these issues disappear over time.

Comment

• TFW
            • Feb 2012
            • NZ

Originally posted by Djlech View Post
            Change to iPhone. You could also try flashing different versions of firmware. Google maps doesn't work offline even if you have it pre downloaded as the HU requires internet connection. Google has to step up android auto is a pile of junk atm.
            These are strong words and in my view unjustified. Recent updates have resolved a volume issue I had with my note 4. In my experience, offline maps work fine, although not always necessary as data usage is not that high. Connection protocol can be a little fussy but shutting down AA after disconnection, then at next connection allow the HU to start up, open the apps screen, AA on the phone and connect - works almost all the time. I think it will only get better.

Comment

• Heisenberg
              • Feb 2016
              • Brisbane

Yeah, changing to iPhone is an extreme step. You might get rid of any connection issues with Android Auto but it also means you are stuck with an iPhone for everything else.

Comment

• ron2503
                • Dec 2017
                • Alex Hills

I know this is an old thread but this may help someone else. I have found that if I set my Samsung s5 to usb midi mode it connects every time. Give it a try.
                Last edited by ron2503; 26-12-17, 07:03 PM.
                2017 PS. OE Bullbar & Towbar. Uniden 7740NB UHF in Console. Roadvision 7" LED's, Custom Offroad SS bash plates, Outback Armour 2"lift; Outback Accessories 107L LRT, Towpro Elite, Masten 6 wheel TPMS.
                Towing '99 Jayco 16' StarCraft poptop.
                Traded 1997 Terrano II. OME with Kings Springs. ECB Bullbar

Comment

• woffleon
                  • Jul 2016
                  • NSW

I like to use the magnetic style connector cause its easier to plug in. Its ambidextrous for charging but not for android auto so you need to turn it round but its easy. Finds its connection magnetically
                  Sterling Silver Pajero Sport Exceed -- HR towbar - Towpro Elite - Duel battery - King spring KCRS23

Comment

• MrTyno
                    • Nov 2017
                    • Canberra

Looks like Google are fixing some of the issues in the Feb security patch, so you should get it in a couple of weeks if you've got a Pixel or Nexus phone. And ummm, eventually, if you've got something else, although I hear that Samsung is pretty quick with updates these days.

Comment

• Poita
                      Valued Member
                      • Sep 2010
                      • Adelaide

We have a Kenwood head unit with has Android Auto and Apple Carplay. I have an Android and the wife has an Apple. Android Auto is so much better in my opinion. Never really had any real problems either though.
                      NW VRX MY2013
                      Jonny Tig FMIC, 3" Exhaust, RalliArt remap, Provent, FuelManager, CouplerTec rust protection, ARB bar, Runva winch, TJM Snorkel, Bilstein/Lovell/Airbags, full Bushskins kit, Asfir AC+fuel, Fyrlyt Nemesis 9000 spotties + LED headlights, Uniden UHF, RedArc TowPro Elite, BRC breathers, Honda sprayers, Automate lockup/paddles, Rhino platform/backbone

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X