• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bullsta
    • May 2017
    • Sydney

Tyre Pressure Fraser

Is 18 psi too low for the OEM Bridgestones.
    Doing a trip to Fraser next week, after some heavy rain by the looks of things.
    Can I drive safely on 18? or should I stay at 20 and air down as necessary.
    Thanks
  • The Commodore
    Valued Member
    • Nov 2009
    • Macarthur Region NSW.

Just to clarify your question.
    Are you asking would it be OK to travel from Sydney to Fraser on 18 or 20 PSI in the tyres?
    If so I wouldn't travel from Sydney to Fraser on anything less than what the tyre placard on the vehicle stipulates.
    For example 29 to 36 PSI.
    Or did you just mean on the sand?
    Last edited by The Commodore; 31-12-17, 04:29 PM. Reason: Update
    Regards.....Keith.

Comment

• DrewXT
      • Mar 2014
      • Melbourne

On sand I'd start at 15 fronts and 18 on the rears. Can go to 12 all round if needs be

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Comment

• nj swb
        Resident
        • Jun 2007
        • Adelaide

Running highway terrains, they tend to slip rather than dig - if you're too high you'll simply stop rather than bury yourself. Lower pressures won't improve performance as much as they will with aggressive off-road patterns. But lower pressures may expose thin sidewalls to stakes, which is a greater risk than those running stiffer off-road tyres.

I think your proposed starting point of 20 psi is reasonable, and I'd be surprised if this didn't get you everywhere you wanted to go. Reduce pressures if you need to, but with highway terrains, the more kms you drive at lower pressures increases the risk of a tyre problem.

On Fraser, more aggressive tyres don't guarantee you'll get further - tougher construction reduces the probability of tyre problems.

You pay your money and you take your chances. Spend less, increased chance of trouble. Spend more, reduced chance of trouble. Either way, there is a chance of trouble.
        NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Motorace
          • Oct 2012
          • Brisbane

Hey Mate

I have done Fraser twice now with the factory bridgestones on our PB. I ran 18 psi in the front and 20 psi in the back while loaded (then dropped the rear to 18 psi when unloaded).

There are a few soft sections when getting on the beaches (and off the barge + sometimes at Inskip if your going that way). Most of the time when you get the tides right the driving is on hard sand and up to 80km/h

P.S remember to turn off your active stability control!
          2012 PB Challenger- Auto; Full BushSkinz, Pioneer platform roof-rack, ScanGauge 2, Milspec rust proofing, custom seat mod +50mm legroom. Duel battery. Fridge box. Ome suspension.

Comment

• DanielJ
            • Oct 2016
            • Brisbane

We did Fraser last school holidays when it was very dry on 20psi. Had no dramas even on some very soft inland tracks.

Comment

• Bullsta
              • May 2017
              • Sydney

Cheers guys

Comment

• Frasa
                • Jan 2018
                • Melbourne

I Did Fraser back in August 17. Dropped pressures to 22psi front and back on factory Toyo Open Country’s. Was told to go lower by a few folk but I stuck to 22. The Exceed handled the conditions without so much as a whimper. On the way from Eurong to Lake MaKenzie I watched a Prado get bogged. To be honest I was worried that we wouldn’t get through but we did without any issues (could be a driver thing). I even drove the top of the ruts for a bit. Which decreased the fuel economy. Other than that the sports just lapped up the sand driving.
                Once we got off the island I discovered cuts in the side walls of both left hand tyres. Not deep but deep enough to put 4 new tyres on. Now Bridgestone Duellers.
                In the deeper sand (on some tracks and getting onto the beach) you’ll find you scape the belly a bit. Be prepared to remove the engine and transmission plates to clear them of sand. Pretty easy job.
                Good luck. You’ll love Fraser.
                Cheers
                Frasa

Comment

• traktor
                  • Oct 2013
                  • sydney

I was driving Fraser on Pirelli Scorpions ATR in October 2016.
                  Tyre pressure depends on current conditions, if it was rain before or long dry period, also depends where you go.
                  I started with 22-24 PSI and had no problems getting on the barge at Inskip point.
                  On soft inland tracks I ran about 22 psi, on the firm coastal sand I set pressure to 28-30 to be able to maintain speed up to 70-80k.
                  The only place where I dropped pressure to 18psi was Ngkala Rocks Bypass, it was deep soft sand and I observed a couple of vehicle bogged down.
                  I need to mention that there were rains at that time and it helped to make sand firmer.
                  NW M14, GLXR, spare wheel lift kit, MM tow bar, bushskinz front/sump/auto/trans/rear bumper guards and side steps, rhino pioneer platform, ARB delux bullbar

Comment

• TC.Barky
                    Valued Member
                    • Oct 2011
                    • Melbourne

Pretty sure we ran 25 the whole way around the island when we were there was a piece of piss (lots of rain though so much more firm than normal).
                    MY14 NW GLX-R 3.2L Auto Build Thread
                    Fitted: 265/70R17 Kanati Mud Hogs. Ultimate Suspension HD Front EHD + bags rear. MM Towbar. OL Bullbar. SPV EGR Mod. Bushskinz Bash Plates x4. Roleys Rear Bar Protector. Icom IC-400Pro. Rhino Pioneer Tradie Rack. CTEK CTD250S w/ Dual Bats. Airtec Snorkel. Scangauge II. Blackvue Dash Cam. TC mod. Autosafe Half Barrier. Masten TPMS. Drifta Custom Drawers w/ Mounted Compressor. 47L ARB Fridge. Domin8rX Winch. Towing an MDC stepthrough.

Comment

• Bullsta
                      • May 2017
                      • Sydney

Trip was a success. I did manage to buckle a 3mm SS bash plate though.
                      I have always thought the second plate sits a little low though.

Comment

• littleriver
                        Valued Member
                        • Jan 2013
                        • Queensland

Originally posted by Bullsta View Post
                        Trip was a success. I did manage to buckle a 3mm SS bash plate though.
                        I have always thought the second plate sits a little low though.
                        Great to hear of your success. .
                        By the way what tyre pressures did you run fromt and rear ?

2012 PB Challenger LS (Manual) Safari Snorkel, OZtec shocks front & rear with King Springs (lift 2 inch) , 22 inch light bar on ECB Nudge bar, roof racks & basket, Bridgestone Duelers 697 LT A/T (116S), Uniden Dash cam, Oricom 2 way radio 80 channel, Ipod connected via glove box usb, Waeco cf50, Garmin gps (with topo), Opticoat + paint protection, Nilrust proofing, Roosystems Ecu Remap

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X