Below Nav Bar

Collapse

NP MCC steel winch bar - would you winch off it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bambam351
    • Mar 2013
    • albany,wa

Originally posted by Waitforme View Post
    Mine was a drill and fit up set. I'll try and find the instructions and scan them for you. There are 2 pressed rails at the front of the vehicle that require drilling and a short length of pipe inserted from one side (16mm hole from memory). A 10 mm bolt is then inserted through the pipe and an angle bracket bolted on each side which sandwiches the pressed rails. The pipe is used to prevent the rail from being crushed as you tighten the bolt.

I'll check if I took some photos during the process and post them too. The winch needs to be mounted onto the bar before installation and mounts vertically. Bar will need to be removed to perform any winch maintenance as you probably wouldn't get the winch off with the bar in place.
    Thanks for the info and replies waitforme.

I managed to get hold of MCC head office today.
    Spoke to Trevor who seemed to know what was going on.
    Told him about the mounts that I have and that I wanted to fit a winch.
    'Those mounts were crap' and 'I would not fit a winch with those mounts' were the reply.
    But apparently to rectify this I must shell out $200 + freight of approx $60 for the new style brackets like you have.
    The pic that I put up of the winch cradle does not apply to Gen III Pajero's.
    Winch is bolted to front of bar as is yours (and ARB I believe???).
    As to the question of winch capacity. Trevor told me it was limited to 9500lb because it was a monocoque chassis - not the bar mounts or bar itself. Make of that what you will.

Just a bit peeved really that 'crap mounts' originally sold on a winch bull bar that are not strong enough require the customer to shell out $260 for the 'good mounts'.
    And that the 'crap mounts' also render the factory recovery points compromised. Don't fit a winch with those mounts kind of says don't recover of them either.

I think another phone call is order. I don't like my chances but I am going to head down the safety road (recovery points compromised) and ADR compliance and see how I go.
    Guess I will find out where MCC customer service is at

Comment

• Poita
      Valued Member
      • Sep 2010
      • Adelaide

And this is why I only recommend ARB for the Gen 3 models. Much stornger mounting (than MCC), doesn't interfere with front recovery points (like MCC), and offers far more protection than the xrox bars. Yeah you pay a bit more, but they are really worth it.

I hope you can sort something out. The least they should do is give you the fit-for-purpose brackets for free as they sold and advertised a product that was not suitable for its advertised role.
      NW VRX MY2013
      Jonny Tig FMIC, 3" Exhaust, RalliArt remap, Provent, FuelManager, CouplerTec rust protection, ARB bar, Runva winch, TJM Snorkel, Bilstein/Lovell/Airbags, full Bushskins kit, Asfir AC+fuel, Fyrlyt Nemesis 9000 spotties + LED headlights, Uniden UHF, RedArc TowPro Elite, BRC breathers, Honda sprayers, Automate lockup/paddles, Rhino platform/backbone

Comment

• bambam351
        • Mar 2013
        • albany,wa

Originally posted by Poita View Post
        And this is why I only recommend ARB for the Gen 3 models. Much stornger mounting (than MCC), doesn't interfere with front recovery points (like MCC), and offers far more protection than the xrox bars. Yeah you pay a bit more, but they are really worth it.

I hope you can sort something out. The least they should do is give you the fit-for-purpose brackets for free as they sold and advertised a product that was not suitable for its advertised role.
        Cheers Poita,

Will be interesting to hear their response!!!!
        I do believe (but haven't yet seen) that the real MCC brackets are the same design principle as the ARB mounts and do away with the need for the recovery point mounts (but I will leave them in place anyway - can't hurt). Baby steps.....

Comment

• Poita
          Valued Member
          • Sep 2010
          • Adelaide

Originally posted by bambam351 View Post
          Cheers Poita,

Will be interesting to hear their response!!!!
          I do believe (but haven't yet seen) that the real MCC brackets are the same design principle as the ARB mounts and do away with the need for the recovery point mounts (but I will leave them in place anyway - can't hurt). Baby steps.....
          I know for the Gen 3 at least, they still use the front recovery points, but have placed a couple holes in their bar for shackles in the latest version. I am not a fan of snatching from a bull bar though. I just went through this process and ended up putting an ARB bar on a couple weeks ago. The ARB mounts also go further back along the chassis and secure there as well, so a stronger mount overall.
          NW VRX MY2013
          Jonny Tig FMIC, 3" Exhaust, RalliArt remap, Provent, FuelManager, CouplerTec rust protection, ARB bar, Runva winch, TJM Snorkel, Bilstein/Lovell/Airbags, full Bushskins kit, Asfir AC+fuel, Fyrlyt Nemesis 9000 spotties + LED headlights, Uniden UHF, RedArc TowPro Elite, BRC breathers, Honda sprayers, Automate lockup/paddles, Rhino platform/backbone

Comment

• bambam351
            • Mar 2013
            • albany,wa

Originally posted by Poita View Post
            I know for the Gen 3 at least, they still use the front recovery points, but have placed a couple holes in their bar for shackles in the latest version. I am not a fan of snatching from a bull bar though. I just went through this process and ended up putting an ARB bar on a couple weeks ago. The ARB mounts also go further back along the chassis and secure there as well, so a stronger mount overall.
            Thanks Poita, my MCC also has the extra holes drilled for recovery in the front of the lower bar bracket. Looks like it is a mix of old mount brackets and newer style bar.
            I know one thing for sure - their sub standard mounting system has cost them a ALOT of sales.....

Comment

• bambam351
              • Mar 2013
              • albany,wa

Well, gave Trevor a call at MCC and pleaded my case.
              I kind of knew I was wasting my time but I didn't expect him to simply say 'That's the price if you want them' and pretty much hung up. Customer service = nil....

Adding $250 to a 'cheap' winch job has kind of taken the shine off the idea.
              Even then as Poita pointed out the mounts are still not on par with ARB's.

Leaning towards modifying the lower mount hole again (through the factory recovery point) with a rated shackle and using the pin as the bolt with some fabbed spacers etc. That way the std recovery loop is fully functional through (but independent) the bull bar bracket with a rated shackle in place ready to use.
              Not 100% on the details yet just a thought.

Thanks all for your experiences and opinions

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
              Working...
              X