• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nj swb
    Resident
    • Jun 2007
    • Adelaide

Retro-fit paddles to PB/PC Challenger

For those who may be interested, retro-fitting shift paddles to a PB or PC Challenger appears quite straight-forward - if you can find the parts.

With thanks to old Jack, we found the 3 pin plug for the paddle assembly ready to go - plugged in the paddles, and away it went. No need for a plug & play adaptor harness like the Gen 4 Pajero.

Unfortunately, OJ's column covers didn't have space for the paddle frame, even the cut-down version that squeezes inside Gen 4 covers. Cutting down the frame to squeeze inside OJ's covers wasn't going to work, so OJ now has modified Pajero column covers - which don't fit well with the Challenger dash. The covers that come with the Outlander kit are even worse.

So, if anybody wants to add flappy paddles to their PB or PC Challenger, I recommend finding a wreck and grabbing the paddles & covers. I have no idea what a wrecker would charge, but given there isn't a lot of choice (Outlander / Lancer don't work) I think $250 would be reasonable, and less would be good.

As a comparison, if you want a cut-down frame and hand-cut Pajero covers that aren't a great fit, I can supply for $220 + freight.
    NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box
  • old Jack
    Regular
    • Jun 2011
    • Adelaide, South Australia.

Thanks to NJ SWB and Pajero 12 , they have fitted paddles to my base model Challenger whilst I have been working overseas. I will test the paddles out when I get home and report back to all. From all reports the guys tell me these work in both the "Drive" and "Semi Manual" mode.

I will look at fitting factory covers when I get home so I have the complete integrated look to the upgrade. So I can order the correct parts I need to "use" a VIN from a PB Challenger that has paddles as standard so if some kind fellow Challenger owner would share their VIN with me that would be great. Once I have sourced the correct parts I will post part numbers and prices.

OJ.
    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
    MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• nj swb
      Resident
      • Jun 2007
      • Adelaide

From Carsales.com, a 2013 Mitsubishi Challenger LS PB Auto 4x4 MY13 showing paddles in the interior shots:

MMAGYKH40EF000609

Plugging that VIN into Partsouq, and drilling into "Powertrain", shows an image of a lower column cover without paddle slots:

Drilling further produces a part number 8065A109XA; a google search finds a few hits for lower steering column cover, but an image search shows covers without slots.

NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• nj swb
        Resident
        • Jun 2007
        • Adelaide

Found some!

My usual wrecker had a PC Challenger come through with paddles, so I bought the paddle assembly and covers for OJ.

The paddle assembly is the same part number as used in Lancer / Outlander, probably also used in ASX & Triton.

The covers each have a number: 8065A108 inside the upper cover, 8065A109 inside the lower cover. I didn't find any useful hits on Google, or the Japanese parts supplier I've been using.

So it looks like keeping an eye on the wreckers is your best bet.

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• old Jack
          Regular
          • Jun 2011
          • Adelaide, South Australia.

Well I have had paddles fitted for about 4 weeks and have done city/suburban commute 600kms, highway touring 1600kms and off road low range work120kms. I was a tight a#$e when I brought my base model (povo pack) Challenger and optioned only the auto trans and side curtain airbags rather than jumping up a model which would have given me RDL and 7 seats. Thoughts at the time of purchase was why pay for 7 seats when I am only going to remove them, RDL and gear shift paddles? Survived 30 years without them so I do not need them. Well wrong on both counts, RDL is required due to the crappy Traction control system so I will either fit an E Locker or a genuine Hybrid LSD to the rear axle, and my dislike of the Jatco auto and its crappy programming and Adaptive Learning Function is well documented, so much so that I tolerate the auto by driving most of the time is semi-manual mode.

Now using the gear paddles (retro fitted by NJ using parts from a PC Challenger) I find an improvement in city fuel economy of about 2 litres per 100km over just using "D" and letting the Adaptive Learning "dumb down" the autos shift points. This is a similar result to what I get using the semi-manual mode gear shift except the paddles are quicker, safer and easier to use. I just select "D" and when I am up to 5 to 60 kph I pull the down paddle and bring the trans back to 4th. Slowing down for corners and roundabouts I drop to 3rd and then back up to 4th when speed has been regained. Off road I select the semi manual mode on the gear stick and is the paddles.

So after a month I am very happy with this upgrade, $150 for secondhand parts + 2 spacers that NJ 3D printed up + dinner + Guinness at the Pub with NJ and M-M.

And for once us Challenger auto owners have got something up on Pajero owners!

OJ.
          2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
          MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Pickle
            Administrator
            • Jun 2007
            • All over Oz

Ha ha, congrats to all of you guys. It's a great mod. Funny enough when the PC Challenger came out and I test drove one I thought the paddles were a bit of a wank......now once fitted I love em.
            Dave
            NX Pampas Cat GLS MY16
            Member 1228 Pajero Club

Comment

• Ent
              Valued Member
              • Apr 2014
              • Tasmania

I laugh. We almost rebuild MMAL products to fix "design" features. Great news on the retro fit.

Now will some electronic genius fix the TC system. Though with front and rear diff lock DooSo will go anywhere I am prepared to go.

Of all the modifications bashplates and suspension first followed by low range transfer gear. Then you have the makings of a great touring 4x4.
              2014 PC Challenger, manual, factory tow-bar, factory front diff protector, TJM inter-cooler plate, Bushskinz manual transmission protection plate, ProRack S16 roof racks, front elocker, Drummond Motor Sport front struts, custom 16mm King rear springs with Bilstein Dampeners, Buzz Rack Runner 3 bike platform, Eclipse Nav head unit, GME TX3800BW UHF, 16x8 CSA Raptor rims, 265/75R16 Maxxis MT-762, orToyo AT/2 265/70R16 Triton rims, BFGoodrich 235/85/R16 Triton rims, or Factory tyres and rims.

Comment

• nj swb
                Resident
                • Jun 2007
                • Adelaide

Originally posted by Ent View Post
                Now will some electronic genius fix the TC system.
                Stranger things have happened...

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• tiv
                  • Sep 2017
                  • Austin

Dear friends, bit of an old thread but hopefully someone replies

My first post,
                  Has anyone managed to trim or cut the existing covers to fit the paddle shifters? Can it be done?

Is there any chance the lancer ones fit?

Paddles can be bought off ebay, but the covers are incredibly rare where I live!

Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
                  Thanks to NJ SWB and Pajero 12 , they have fitted paddles to my base model Challenger whilst I have been working overseas. I will test the paddles out when I get home and report back to all. From all reports the guys tell me these work in both the "Drive" and "Semi Manual" mode.

I will look at fitting factory covers when I get home so I have the complete integrated look to the upgrade. So I can order the correct parts I need to "use" a VIN from a PB Challenger that has paddles as standard so if some kind fellow Challenger owner would share their VIN with me that would be great. Once I have sourced the correct parts I will post part numbers and prices.

OJ.

Comment

• nj swb
                    Resident
                    • Jun 2007
                    • Adelaide

Originally posted by tiv View Post
                    Dear friends, bit of an old thread but hopefully someone replies

My first post,
                    Has anyone managed to trim or cut the existing covers to fit the paddle shifters? Can it be done?

Is there any chance the lancer ones fit?
                    For the kits I sell I bought a batch of genuine Mitsubishi kits designed to retrofit paddles to the Outlander. These kits come with a new lower steering column cover for the Outlander, and the same steering column cover fits the Lancer.

I couldn't make the Outlander / Lancer covers fit the Pajero steering column, as the height adjust lever is a different design, which sits in a different spot. I didn't look into whether or not the Outlander / Lancer height adjust lever could be retrofitted to the Pajero or Challenger, as this was going to be more expense / more difficulty for the installation. Initially I modified Pajero covers and trimmed the paddles assembly, now I supply new genuine Mitsubishi upper & lower covers and don't need to trim anything.

You could investigate if the Lancer height adjust lever can be made to fit your Challenger, or you could try finding some Pajero covers then modifying paddles / cutting slots to suit. But the Pajero covers don't fit the Challenger as nicely as the Challenger covers fit the Pajero.

I'm sorry I can't offer any nicer solutions.

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X