• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JohnFromPerth
    • Mar 2018
    • Western Australia

Overservicing?

Had a letter from my Mitsi dealer the other day saying the 6 month service on my PS was due.

Rang them to query why it needed a service at 6 months rather than 12, as it was not doing what could be considered "Severe Usage" such as being used as a taxi or delivery vehicle or on a mine site.

The service fellow waffled on about liking to service diesels every 6 months. I asked what he did and he said change the oil and filter. I asked how much and he said $295!
    I suggested I could get change out of $70 if I did it myself.
    He then added that they do a safety check and inspect the tyres for wear due to mis-alignment.

Said I would pass on that and maybe look for another service provider.

Anyone else had this problem?
  • Nab
    Valued Member
    • Mar 2012
    • Perth

Just standard dealership up selling.
    SOLD 2004 NP 3.2 auto
    NOW 2014 Ranger XLT auto

Comment

• littleriver
      Valued Member
      • Jan 2013
      • Queensland

X2 on the upsell..

Although how do you get change from $70?

The oil alone will cost you that much...

2012 PB Challenger LS (Manual) Safari Snorkel, OZtec shocks front & rear with King Springs (lift 2 inch) , 22 inch light bar on ECB Nudge bar, roof racks & basket, Bridgestone Duelers 697 LT A/T (116S), Uniden Dash cam, Oricom 2 way radio 80 channel, Ipod connected via glove box usb, Waeco cf50, Garmin gps (with topo), Opticoat + paint protection, Nilrust proofing, Roosystems Ecu Remap

Comment

• geopaj
        Valued Member
        • Jul 2007
        • Adelaide

I service all my cars every 6 months but do it myself. I think MM’s 15,000 service interval is too long.

On the NT oil is about $85 and the filter is about $45. I’ve never understood how dealers calculate service costs though... even at these prices plus 1 hour labour @ $110, that’s $240 (and if you can’t drive a car onto a hoist and change the oil in 1/2 hr I don’t know what you’re doing!)
        Silver NT VRX Di-D

ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz & Boo’s guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | Cooper AT3 LT's | dual battery | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')

Comment

• littleriver
          Valued Member
          • Jan 2013
          • Queensland

Originally posted by geopaj View Post
          I service all my cars every 6 months but do it myself. I think MM’s 15,000 service interval is too long.

On the NT oil is about $85 and the filter is about $45. I’ve never understood how dealers calculate service costs though... even at these prices plus 1 hour labour @ $110, that’s $240 (and if you can’t drive a car onto a hoist and change the oil in 1/2 hr I don’t know what you’re doing!)
          Yes us mechanics can do it in about 1/2 hr.. But takes the apprentices a bit longer ... You will have to add another 15min or so for SQL.. Give the motor a wash.. Close to the hr now.. We clock on before getting into the car and clock off after parking in the wash area..

2012 PB Challenger LS (Manual) Safari Snorkel, OZtec shocks front & rear with King Springs (lift 2 inch) , 22 inch light bar on ECB Nudge bar, roof racks & basket, Bridgestone Duelers 697 LT A/T (116S), Uniden Dash cam, Oricom 2 way radio 80 channel, Ipod connected via glove box usb, Waeco cf50, Garmin gps (with topo), Opticoat + paint protection, Nilrust proofing, Roosystems Ecu Remap

Comment

• GHendo
            Valued Member
            • Mar 2012
            • Northern NSW

Even as far back as 2003 when I bought my NP, the salesman (whom I knew quite well) gave me a good deal and said the profit in any dealership was the servicing. Selling vehicles has become so competitive that they sell them for a small profit to get them in your hands – then once that is done you are stuck with the expensive servicing and cost of genuine spare parts. Most people return to the selling dealer to have the services done.

I also remember when the wife’s Falcon was new and I’d drop it in for a service, every time I’d be just down the road and get a call from the service department girl asking if I’d approve an ‘injector clean and service’ – highly recommended she said. The cost was about $200 and I think I fell for it the first time but after that I’d ask if it was a Ford recommended procedure and part of the current service, and she’d have to say ‘no’ it was a ‘recommended extra’. We still have that vehicle and it is 20 years old – I’ve never had a problem with injectors – touch wood !!

Geoff
            03 NP Manual Di-D Exceed, 2" lift, Dobinsons Springs, Lovells Shocks, ORU Winch, ARB Bullbar, Scott's Rods 3" Exhaust, ARB Compressor, Rear Air Locker, Cooper S/T Maxx, Hella Rallye 4000 S/Lights, Pioneer AVH-X5850BT DVD/Tuner w/- Reversing Camera, Sensa Tyre monitor, Uniden UH8080NB UHF, Rhino Platform Roof Rack, Hema HN-7 GPS, Engine Watchdog, CouplerTec, CTEK D250S DC-DC Charger, Snorkel, Towbar.

Comment

• spot01
              Valued Member
              • Apr 2011
              • Adelaide

Worth noting the PS has a DPF and I assume needs the expensive "low ash" oil?
              Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• JohnFromPerth
                • Mar 2018
                • Western Australia

Just checked. PS needs 7 litres or so of oil, so you have to buy at least 10, as that is how it comes packaged. So looking at $80 or more for oil. Ryco filter is $20. So should be able to do a change for around $100.

Yes, the PS needs a low ash oil so as not to clog the particle filter. Seems most good brands of modern diesel oils meet that specification.

Comment

• KiwiNTPajero
                  Valued Member
                  • Aug 2014
                  • Wellington,New Zealand

the parts costs factor in a proportion of mitsubihi r and d for the pajero. the r and d cost is proably not covered by the selling price of any model for many years.just think of how much time was spent in designing the third row seat mechanism...its a work of art i bet hundreds of hours went into just that. i bet it costs heaps just to be called a mitsi dealer.i bet it aint all beer and skittles
                  2009 NT GLS(NZ) diesel LWB auto
                  BFG AT,Rhino Rack Vortex Bars,Foxwing Eco Awning,BUSHSKINZ I/C, sump guards and steps

"do not check the button for faster communication, this will throw a wobbly with some dongles"

Comment

• AJW52
                    • Nov 2015
                    • Perth

Talk About Flexible

Just got back from driving over to Melbourne towing the camper-trailer and the Pajero didn't miss a beat. I did an interim oil/filter change prior to the trip and clocked up around 5000km.
                    As we are off prospecting in a couple of weeks I rang the dealer for an idea of the cost of the 75000 service which is the first non-capped price service. Bit surprised when I was told $1150 (I know it includes the tappets) reduced to $1100 if I supplied my own oil. The dealer charges $130 for oil but will knock $50 off the bill. I said I would call back.
                    I rang the RAC and will take it there next week. Full log book service $595 if I supply the oil.
                    I rang the dealer and they would do it for $650! Fat chance.

Comment

• littleriver
                      Valued Member
                      • Jan 2013
                      • Queensland

Originally posted by AJW52 View Post
                      Just got back from driving over to Melbourne towing the camper-trailer and the Pajero didn't miss a beat. I did an interim oil/filter change prior to the trip and clocked up around 5000km.
                      As we are off prospecting in a couple of weeks I rang the dealer for an idea of the cost of the 75000 service which is the first non-capped price service. Bit surprised when I was told $1150 (I know it includes the tappets) reduced to $1100 if I supplied my own oil. The dealer charges $130 for oil but will knock $50 off the bill. I said I would call back.
                      I rang the RAC and will take it there next week. Full log book service $595 if I supply the oil.
                      I rang the dealer and they would do it for $650! Fat chance.
                      you sure it includes tappets adjustment (per owners manual) ? as it stands $595 there is no way they would do your tappets and replace the seals

Can you inform us the yr of your vehicle please

NB this is a Pajero NW *not a Pajero Sport* ...

Last edited by littleriver; 10-08-18, 11:03 AM.

Comment

• AJW52
                        • Nov 2015
                        • Perth

"As per the log book"
                        2013 MY2014 NW Paj

Comment

• spot01
                          Valued Member
                          • Apr 2011
                          • Adelaide

Originally posted by littleriver View Post
                          you sure it includes tappets adjustment (per owners manual) ? as it stands $595 there is no way they would do your tappets and replace the seals

Can you inform us the yr of your vehicle please

NB this is a Pajero NW *not a Pajero Sport* ...

I agree $600 or so sounds too cheap for the service & a proper manual valve adjustment (including a seal kit). More likely just an "audible check", which is just listening for a loose valve (won't detect a tight one). A proper manual valve adjustment is about 3 hours labour + the seal kit for about $162, so about $530 just to do the valves (+ the service). Ask specific questions about what valve adjustment process they are going to do for the money.

There is sometimes confusion about when the manual valve adjustment is required, as some NW services books say 60k & others say 75k. I think this leads to confusion by some mechanics when quoting the 60k & 75k services. Check your handbook for your car.
                          Last edited by spot01; 11-08-18, 02:53 PM. Reason: update seal kit price
                          Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• dirt_crunchin
                            • Feb 2018
                            • Adelaide

I had my 120,000km service done on my NT Pajero a few months ago, which included adjusting the valves. Parts alone were $450 of which $150 was just for the seal kit for the valves.

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
                              Valued Member
                              • Aug 2016
                              • Greater Sydney

Originally posted by dirt_crunchin View Post
                              I had my 120,000km service done on my NT Pajero a few months ago, which included adjusting the valves. Parts alone were $450 of which $150 was just for the seal kit for the valves.

Think you have been had big time.

What is the seal kit for the valves?

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X