X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JohnFromPerth
    • Mar 2018
    • Western Australia

Just back from a 1000km highway drive at 110km/hr and the dash display told me my average fuel consumption was 10.4 l/km outwards and 11.6 l/km return with a head wind. Only lightly loaded and no aircon on.

Comment

• Wazza999
      • Jun 2018
      • Canberra

My 2011 NT DiD, 80K km, HT tyres, alloy bull bar, running 42/40 psi, AWD, and AC on, gave 8.6 l/100km at 110 on the Hume downhill Cbr - Sydney. For the entire 3.5K km trip to Brisbane and Sunshine Coast up the New England back the Pacific plus a week's city driving in Brisbane averaged 9.15 l/100km by fuel dockets and odometer. Very happy compared to the old petrol GQ! Reshod with KO2s and towing 1.6 t, that will be another matter to be discovered. Should be better than 27 l ulp, 33 l lpg/100km in the GQ

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Comment

• bb2wa
        • Apr 2018
        • Perth

I'd expect 8.5 down to 7.6 depending on load, speed and wind direction. Try dropping off 10 kph. It will make a big difference. I have oem road tyres and normally roof rack is removed. Cruise control uses more fuel. Learn to feather the accelerator pedal.
        2009 NT DID Platinum, CR5002HP air bags, KYB Skorched 4s shocks, std front springs, rear Kings std . Alpine iLX-702D, Occam roof rack 2.2m on backbone.

Comment

• Cannon
          • Jun 2018
          • Busselton, W.A.

Originally posted by bb2wa View Post
          I'd expect 8.5 down to 7.6 depending on load, speed and wind direction. Try dropping off 10 kph. It will make a big difference. I have oem road tyres and normally roof rack is removed. Cruise control uses more fuel. Learn to feather the accelerator pedal.
          It's interesting that you say that cruise control uses more fuel because I've always wondered, any idea why? I would've assumed that the car controlling the throttle itself in reaction to maintaining a set speed would be more efficient than a driver feathering the throttle...

Comment

• bb2wa
            • Apr 2018
            • Perth

Originally posted by Cannon View Post
            It's interesting that you say that cruise control uses more fuel because I've always wondered, any idea why? I would've assumed that the car controlling the throttle itself in reaction to maintaining a set speed would be more efficient than a driver feathering the throttle...
            In my experience, it's quite clear that cruise uses more fuel. I treat it as a sport to see the average fuel consumption decrease as I switch off cruise and use focused feathering. I should add that I also have the egr cable mod installed which I have suggested elsewhere saves about 10 % fuel.
            2009 NT DID Platinum, CR5002HP air bags, KYB Skorched 4s shocks, std front springs, rear Kings std . Alpine iLX-702D, Occam roof rack 2.2m on backbone.

Comment

• Cannon
              • Jun 2018
              • Busselton, W.A.

Originally posted by bb2wa View Post
              In my experience, it's quite clear that cruise uses more fuel. I treat it as a sport to see the average fuel consumption decrease as I switch off cruise and use focused feathering. I should add that I also have the egr cable mod installed which I have suggested elsewhere saves about 10 % fuel.
              Yep that makes sense. I did a bit of reading on cruise control and it's clear it uses more fuel, as it doesn't know how to back off down hills and simply tries to maintain it's set speed as much as possible, the long and the short of it is if the terrain is hilly and you're chasing optimum fuel economy you're better driving the throttle manually, if it's the nullarbor though it probably wouldn't make a huge difference.

Comment

• Wazza999
                • Jun 2018
                • Canberra

Originally posted by Cannon View Post
                Yep that makes sense. I did a bit of reading on cruise control and it's clear it uses more fuel, as it doesn't know how to back off down hills and simply tries to maintain it's set speed as much as possible, the long and the short of it is if the terrain is hilly and you're chasing optimum fuel economy you're better driving the throttle manually, if it's the nullarbor though it probably wouldn't make a huge difference.
                I've noticed most cruise control units put the boot in a bit more than I would when you re-engage them after braking. I've only ever come across one cruise control that was good at using engine braking to maintain the set speed going downhill. It was in one of the work wagons, so either a Commodore or Falcon, can't remember which, it was twenty years ago, everything else just over-runs without any kick down. One of the work GUs had cruise control on a manual transmission that worked ok.

Comment

• Bundy-Dave
                  • Dec 2018
                  • Bundaberg

Hi,

Sorry to restart this thread but wondering if a solution was ever found to this issue?

I have had my ‘17 Gls for just over a week and have noticed same fuel usage. 27xxx kms and onto third tank. No modifications. Found tyres were at 36 all round and dropped them and put back up. The only other thing I can think of is maybe disconnecting battery and resetting ecu (is that still a thing?) otherwise love the car besides highway/freeway driving of around 9.5/100km (driving Bundaberg to Sunshine Coast twice)

Thanks

Dave.

Comment

• Cannon
                    • Jun 2018
                    • Busselton, W.A.

Originally posted by Bundy-Dave View Post
                    Hi,

Sorry to restart this thread but wondering if a solution was ever found to this issue?

I have had my ‘17 Gls for just over a week and have noticed same fuel usage. 27xxx kms and onto third tank. No modifications. Found tyres were at 36 all round and dropped them and put back up. The only other thing I can think of is maybe disconnecting battery and resetting ecu (is that still a thing?) otherwise love the car besides highway/freeway driving of around 9.5/100km (driving Bundaberg to Sunshine Coast twice)

Thanks

Dave.
                    Hey mate,

I've now done 8000km in mine (no mods, standard tyres). My economy is around the 9L mark combined (live in a regional area so regular stints at 110km.

Not sure about the ecu issue, could be worth a shot?

Cannon

Comment

• HeavyPizzaz
                      Valued Member
                      • May 2017
                      • Sydney

I’m assuming all you guys looking for 7L/100 economy don’t have much weight on. I have a 2016 NX with arb front bar, winch, spotties and aux tank and I get around 9.5L/100 on the highway, presumably coz of the extra weight plus I don’t have my tyres up around 40 because I want the comfort of lower pressures. Plus I came from a 3.8L petrol NP which did 15-17/100 on average so I’m very happy with anything below 10.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• bb2wa
                        • Apr 2018
                        • Perth

I have a nudge bar, a cb and sometimes swmbo.

Comment

• marlin1856
                          • Apr 2013
                          • Melbourne

Originally posted by HeavyPizzaz View Post
                          I’m assuming all you guys looking for 7L/100 economy don’t have much weight on. I have a 2016 NX with arb front bar, winch, spotties and aux tank and I get around 9.5L/100 on the highway, presumably coz of the extra weight plus I don’t have my tyres up around 40 because I want the comfort of lower pressures. Plus I came from a 3.8L petrol NP which did 15-17/100 on average so I’m very happy with anything below 10.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          Chuck in a $50 EGR delete and you will get high 7"s low 8"s regardless.
                          2016 Pajero Sport Exceed Titanium

Comment

• denisp
                            • Dec 2018
                            • Mt Eliza

Did a run from home to Canberra and back a couple of weekends ago during Summer Nats. Up via Cann River and Home via the Hume.
                            A bit of running around at Canberra over a couple of days too.
                            About 1700km and 8.25l/100km for the total trip.
                            Have BFGoodrich AT tyres all round, so pretty happy with the economy.
                            Could pump the tyres up a bit if needed.
                            Denis

Comment

• Greg Grey Grumbly
                              • Aug 2012
                              • Brisbane, Southside

Originally posted by marlin1856 View Post
                              Chuck in a $50 EGR delete and you will get high 7"s low 8"s regardless.
                              I fitted the Munji EGR delete a week after pickup and that’s what I’m seeing as well. Very happy with fuel consumption and overall performance both running around and towing.
                              Greg Grey Grumbly

2018 QE Pajero Sport GLS, Factory Accessories: Alloy Bull Bar, Tow Bar, Underbody Protection, Aftermarket: Uniden CB, Redarc Electric Brake Controller, Bushman Cooler, Rhino Roof Bars; Full Tint, OCAM Extendable Tow Mirrors, Fridge Tie Down Racks, Kickass Battery Box with Projecta DC DC charger, King KCRS-23 with the Peddars 5899 bump stops, Almac Boat Loader, Almac Outboard Slide, Provent catch can, More to come
                              Tows a 2015 Billabong Grove 186

Comment

• 4x4_evo
                                • Feb 2019
                                • WA

Last fill I got 9.01L/100kms out of the tank on the stock Dueler H/T’s mainly around town and a few short squirts on the fwy - pretty good. Then last week I put 275 65 18 LT Dynapro M/T’s on and lets just say I’ll be somewhere between 10-15% worse off for sure!

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X