• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pwoffey
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2013
    • Adelaide

Fuel level in auxiliary fuel tank

Just starting to think about getting an aux fuel tank for my diesel NW. I have a GLX 5 seater, no rear air con, so the LRA 81 L would likely be my choice. But just wondering about the practice of keeping or not keeping the aux tank filled when just driving around town. On the one hand I don't want to be lugging a full tank (~65kg if we say 1L diesel is ~800g) around the city for no good reason; on the other hand it's often said that water condensation and bio-glug can accompany an empty fuel tank. I usually keep my OEM tank reasonably full and I don't use a biocide. So, what do you guys with an aux tank do when you aren't doing the long distance stuff?

Thanks for advice.

Phil
    BY13/MY14 Pajero NW GLX Auto, Cooper ST Maxx, factory towbar, Drifta drawers, SmartBar, Airtec snorkel, Koni Raid 90 front and 88 rear shocks with KIngs 34-HD springs front, 35-EHD rear, Brown Davis i/c, sump and transmission bash plates, Piranha diff breathers, Fuel Manager pre-filter, LRA 81L auxiliary fuel tank, Piranha steel battery tray, Sherpa 9500 lb winch, HPD catch can, LockUp Mate, Kaon cargo barrier, Harrop front e-locker, DBA T3 rotors and Xtreme pads, Mark's 4WD reduction gears
  • geopaj
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2007
    • Adelaide

I've often wondered the same. I look forward to other's answers.
    Silver NT VRX Di-D

ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz & Boo’s guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | Cooper AT3 LT's | dual battery | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')

Comment

• Georgie
      Valued Member
      • Sep 2013
      • Secret Harbour WA

Originally posted by Pwoffey View Post
      Just starting to think about getting an aux fuel tank for my diesel NW. I have a GLX 5 seater, no rear air con, so the LRA 81 L would likely be my choice. But just wondering about the practice of keeping or not keeping the aux tank filled when just driving around town. On the one hand I don't want to be lugging a full tank (~65kg if we say 1L diesel is ~800g) around the city for no good reason; on the other hand it's often said that water condensation and bio-glug can accompany an empty fuel tank. I usually keep my OEM tank reasonably full and I don't use a biocide. So, what do you guys with an aux tank do when you aren't doing the long distance stuff?

Thanks for advice.

Phil
      Hi Phil
      Like a lot of other guys on the forum I have the aux tank 80 lts it came from Ultimate 4X4 and I do have the rear air con unit the tank is a little lower than I like but I do have a lift kit of 50 mm plus air bags it is vital to me when touring with the van and I use Cal card but I cant always get Caltex in the bush so I have got the range until I can get Caltex or even Ampol as to your question I never let my aux tank get empty around town when I get low on the main tank I transfer around a quarter from the aux tank and then top up both tanks on the next fill I dont worry about carrying the extra weight as I believe it would be a minimal cost to know that at any given time I have plenty of fuel and not have to panic when getting low in the main tank you would have to weigh up the cost of the aux tank against how far you are going to travel in the bush and do you tow heavy you can do a lot of Klms for around $1200.00 minimum which is what the aux tank will cost you
      Cheers
      Georgie
      2015 Sahara
      Black Mica in colour
      BFG A/T 275x70x18s Black Widow drawers Redark dual battery system GME CB radio Redarc Tow Prow Elite

Wish List lots

SOLD 2013 GLX- R Pajero

Comment

• Gareth
        • Nov 2012
        • Adelaide (North)

I have a LRA 58 Litre tank and I fill up both and transfer when I get to 1/4 of a tank. I don't think think the extra weight of the fuel is major drama and keeps everything working so to speak.

Gareth
        Silver 2008 NS VRX 3.2 DiD
        Ironman / Lovell 50mm lift, 275/65R18 Maxxis Big Horn's, Custom Rear bar protection, Bush Skinz intercooler guard, 4mm oil pan guard (self made), Bush Skinz Trans and Transfer guards, Bush Skinz Rock sliders, ARB Deluxe colour coded bull bar, ORU 12,000LB winch, Light force 240 Spot Lights, Custom dual battery carrier / Red Arc Isolator, UHF, Custom Tuned Uni-Chip.

Comment

• Aussie_Dan
          Valued Member
          • Jan 2010
          • Cairns

Like Georgie, I always fill both tanks to the brim (81L LRA tank). Our Paj only goes to the servo about once every 2 months. When taking on 150 - 160L, I also try and buy the fuel at the best price possible.
          Whilst I have fuel in the aux, I tend to regularly transfer it to the main tank and keep the main tank full. This is for 2 reasons: 1. It moves the weight forward of the rear axle. 2. The fuel supply in the main tank is used to cool the injector pump and the more cool fuel in the tank, the better.
          I have HD springs and airbags to cope with the weight.
          Cheers, Dan.
          2004 NP DiD GLX, 5 spd Manual with SMF, ARB Bullbar, Ironman 12000lb winch, Lightforce Genesis lights, Airtec Snorkel, 81L LRA tank, Unifilter, GME 3500 UHF, Redarc elec brake controller, ARB dual Batt tray with 60AH Deep cycle Batt & Redarc Isolator, Bushskinz Sliders, intercooler and sump guards, Lovells raised HD springs, Polyairs & Bilstein shocks, Milford Cargo Barrier, Philips +100 globes, 2nd set of rims with 245/75x16 Bighorns, Waeco 60L Fridge & a Cavalier camper trailer!

Comment

• stevemc181
            Valued Member
            • Sep 2012
            • Thornlie/Perth

I usually run with about 1/4 tank in the Aux and pump it over occasionally. Never had any issues. I've undone the drain plug a couple of times to get some fuel out to fill a fuel filter and the diesel looks nice and clean.
            Though with the new extended length coils in she rides a bit harsher so I might keep it full to add a bit of weight and soften the ride.
            2012 NW Activ with all the fruit, stripped what I could for my new build and handed over to the Mrs as a daily driver.

Current vehicle: 2016 Y61 GU Patrol Legend series Auto, (Last of the Breed)
            3505kg GVM Upgrade and 2" Lift | Warn XD 9000 Winch | Factory steel bar, towbar, snorkel, alloy roof rack | 285/70/17 (33") Mickey T ATZ P3's | 3" Manta Exhaust | ORS Drawer System | Manual Boost Controller | ECU Remap |

Comment

• grhyso
              Valued Member
              • Aug 2012
              • Perth

I don't have a second tank but if i did i would fill it round town and transfer across to the main. Firstly the weight, 65kgs isn't even the equivalent of one passenger, i barely think it'll make much difference in a car weighing in over 2000kgs. Secondly the condensation issue. Lastly i just don't like leaving fuel sitting in a tank for long periods without use.
              2010 NT GLS DiD Auto Silver | TJM T13 Bullbar | Lightforce LED 180 Spotlights | Runva 11XP | Dual Batteries | TJM snorkel | Bushskinz & TJM bash plates | Custom alloy roof rack | Sunseeker II Awning | MDC RTT | EGR Block | Bilstein/Lovells | Dick Cepek Fun Country tyres | Wet seat seatcovers | Uniden UH7760NB | Parrot Asteroid Smart | Morel, Soundstream and Kicker Audio | MM Cargo Barrier | Storage Drawer | Onboard water system |

See our latest adventures at http://www.treksandtinroofs.com

Comment

• m_and_m
                Valued Member
                • Mar 2010
                • Tea Tree Gully, Adelaide

I fill my LRA 58l and main tank to the brim each fill up.
                I also keep track of my fuel economy.

I prefer to fill right up and 'wet' the inside of the tank regularly. I think using everything regularly means when you 'do' need the extra fuel on long distance trip, you are less likely to have a problem.

Have HD springs and airbags. The extra weight will use marginally extra fuel, but not worth worring about, and the trade off is not going to the servo as often..
                1300km between fills

If you're gonna spend that much on an extra fuel tank you may as well use it!

I tranfer from the aux to main at about 1/4 full on the main tank gauge.
                2016 NX Exceed 3.2 DiD, BullBar | 2" OME lift | Safari snorkel | UHF | Towbar | Tow pro elite ECB | Full Bushskinz UBP and side steps | HID highbeam upgrade | 9" LED spots | 100Ahr Aux. Battery | HPD Oil catch can | Flappy Paddles | auto-matePRO
                2016 LC200 Sahara V8 Diesel,Lots of Mods too
                Checkout our products at MM4x4 http://www.mm4x4.com.au auto-mate and lockup-mate for Mitsubishi's and Toyota's

Comment

• Phil
                  Valued Member
                  • Aug 2008
                  • Sydney

I'm about to fit a LRA and planned to fill both.

Can someone please post a pic of the LRA full pump location.
                  About the only thing missing in their instructions.
                  MY05 NP DiD Auto Platinum. Custom scratches. ARB bar & 12000lbs winch. Maxxis Bighorns. BushSkinz Bash plates & slidders. TJM auto guard. Gear box, trans & diff breathers. Rhino racks & Pod. Awning with LED. Dual batteries. HID Narva 225's. Airtec snorkel. 2" Lovell/Bilstein lift. GME TX3500. Wetseat covers. Pioneer BT deck. Cargo barrier. Beaudesert exhaust. Rear storage & CF80. ARB onboard air. NS 18s for the black top, 80L LRA tank. HPD Catch Can. HPD Intercooler.

Comment

• MSF
                    Valued Member
                    • Jul 2009
                    • Sydney, Northern Beaches

see my build thread in my sig for pics

Post #18.

Pump is not specifically shown, but if you look at the 3rd and 4th pics, it is mounted on the underbody, positioned just beside the tank on the drivers side, basically behind the inner guard

Comment

• m_and_m
                      Valued Member
                      • Mar 2010
                      • Tea Tree Gully, Adelaide

Originally posted by Phil View Post
                      I'm about to fit a LRA and planned to fill both.

Can someone please post a pic of the LRA full pump location.
                      About the only thing missing in their instructions.
                      I had mine installed by TJM so didn't see it prior.

Can you tell me where the fuel pickup is (within the tank)...so i can get the last drop out. I think it's forward on Passenger side, on the basis I seem to get more out when parked such that so fuel collects at this corner.
                      2016 NX Exceed 3.2 DiD, BullBar | 2" OME lift | Safari snorkel | UHF | Towbar | Tow pro elite ECB | Full Bushskinz UBP and side steps | HID highbeam upgrade | 9" LED spots | 100Ahr Aux. Battery | HPD Oil catch can | Flappy Paddles | auto-matePRO
                      2016 LC200 Sahara V8 Diesel,Lots of Mods too
                      Checkout our products at MM4x4 http://www.mm4x4.com.au auto-mate and lockup-mate for Mitsubishi's and Toyota's

Comment

• KiwiNTPajero
                        Valued Member
                        • Aug 2014
                        • Wellington,New Zealand

so the lra is not plumbed to automatically level of with main tank.It sits lower so you have to pump contents "manually"???
                        2009 NT GLS(NZ) diesel LWB auto
                        BFG AT,Rhino Rack Vortex Bars,Foxwing Eco Awning,BUSHSKINZ I/C, sump guards and steps

"do not check the button for faster communication, this will throw a wobbly with some dongles"

Comment

• Kirkster72
                          • Sep 2013
                          • Sydney

Just got mine done today & I'm impressed, 58ltr LRA professionaly installed!
                          Attached Files
                          2008 nt gls 3.2 smartbar, runva ewx9500 winch, airtech snorkel, ironman / ome combo lift, smartbar, 75watt hid's, lightbar, dual battery, rear worklight, bashplates, catch can 65ltr waeco, 18ltr engel, ors draws/fridge slide, 58ltr lra aux tank ,blah blah blah!

Comment

• Kirkster72
                            • Sep 2013
                            • Sydney

More pics
                            Attached Files
                            2008 nt gls 3.2 smartbar, runva ewx9500 winch, airtech snorkel, ironman / ome combo lift, smartbar, 75watt hid's, lightbar, dual battery, rear worklight, bashplates, catch can 65ltr waeco, 18ltr engel, ors draws/fridge slide, 58ltr lra aux tank ,blah blah blah!

Comment

• Kirkster72
                              • Sep 2013
                              • Sydney

Only letting me do one pic at a time
                              Attached Files

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X