• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • erad
    Valued Member
    • Mar 2015
    • Cooma NSW

Originally posted by Roshan C View Post
    I think you're looking at the wrong valve. The valve causing problems has come up into the rocker cover area, it's valve spring is no longer under tension, i can spin it by hand while that's impossible to do on the other 7 valve springs.
    I have never seen a tappet adjustment like that before. It looks as if someone has installed a whole set of valves which are too short in the valve stems for the application and the dud #4 exhaust valve is the only one which is "normal'. The head of the valve stem is in the normal position, so I don't think it is the collet letting go, but if you can spin the valve by hand, there is no tension left in the valve spring. Head has to come off.

Comment

• tomwithannl
      Valued Member
      • Jan 2010
      • Maria Coast Tasmania.

You will probably find it is loose valve seats in the head allowing them to hammer and rotate and then receding into the softer head. I also agree with erad's comment that the valves (the ones with the adjusting screws on the underside) have probably been replaced with incorrect length ones, too short.

Tom
      1998 NL GLS 3.5 Auto. Bocar alloy bar with 13000lb I-Max winch & engine watchdog.
      1953 Morris Minor ute
      1990 Nissan Scargo van (The SNAIL)
      2005 Mercedes ML350 Special Edition 4Matic

Comment

• Roshan C
        • Aug 2017
        • Suriname

Originally posted by tomwithannl View Post
        You will probably find it is loose valve seats in the head allowing them to hammer and rotate and then receding into the softer head. I also agree with erad's comment that the valves (the ones with the adjusting screws on the underside) have probably been replaced with incorrect length ones, too short.

Tom
        So basically i shouldn't bother repairing this cylinder head?
        I am also considering dropping in the spare L300 engine i have sitting on my front porch
        it looks to be in good shape, got it from a super rusty L300 non runner couple years ago.

I can just swap over the oilpan, fuel pump and turbo stuff right?.
        The last option sounds daunting as i've never undertaken something of this scale.

To be honest i got this pajero really cheap, fixed most small issues. There were lots of questionable stuff done to it! but whenever neccesary it got me to school and back without issues.
        Last edited by Roshan C; 25-03-20, 01:47 PM.

Comment

• Roshan C
          • Aug 2017
          • Suriname

Update: Removed the cylinder head with some help from dad and this is what we found. #4 exh. Valve seat is still there, but the valve has burned away and sealed against the exhaust port. Cyl 1 Exhaust valve has a very sharp edge left, only a matter of time until it would do the same.
          Attached Files

Comment

• Roshan C
            • Aug 2017
            • Suriname

Some more Pictures: https://drive.google.com/folderview?...JC92tZbtKtZbPA

Comment

• tomwithannl
              Valued Member
              • Jan 2010
              • Maria Coast Tasmania.

In over 50 years as a mechanic I have never seen a valve pulled into its seat as bad as the one in your pic WA0001. It is usually the seat that has the problem. I would hazard a guess and say they are poor quality non genuine parts. I would be looking for another head and start afresh.

Tom
              1998 NL GLS 3.5 Auto. Bocar alloy bar with 13000lb I-Max winch & engine watchdog.
              1953 Morris Minor ute
              1990 Nissan Scargo van (The SNAIL)
              2005 Mercedes ML350 Special Edition 4Matic

Comment

• Roshan C
                • Aug 2017
                • Suriname

After cleaning up all soot it turned out the valve edges burned up and left the valve seat intact. This is the first time i took a cylinder head appart, you're the third person who tells me he's never seen valves this bad

I went ahead and cleaned up 'edge' the valve had left behind from sealing the port, in a few days when i'm finished sanding all leftover sooth and rough casting marks it's going to a machine shop.
                Afterwards i can say i did that damage in 1km of driving after turning up the fueling, this valve must've had very little life left.

Comment

• Roshan C
                  • Aug 2017
                  • Suriname

Update: got a call from the machine shop, all valve seats are okay just the valves need to be replaced

Comment

• 4ePikanini
                    Valued Member
                    • Dec 2009
                    • South Africa, East London

don't skimp. Do the seats and the valves and the guides and the stem seals now with new keepers.

Set the lash on the bench before you drop the head on.
                    1993 3.0 V6 Pajero - SOLD
                    2001 3.2 Di-D Pajero - SOLD
                    2005 Touareg R5 2.5 TDi - SOLD
                    2007 Pajero LWB 3.2 Di-D

Comment

• Roshan C
                      • Aug 2017
                      • Suriname

I've now put everything back together, engine sounds much better. But it's still hesitant and does not rev freely, stutters and shakes at certain rpms when revving up

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X