• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fergie
    • Jan 2013
    • Flagstaff, Arizona, USA

Hello from Arizona

Hello all,

I'm from Arizona, and the wife and I are looking at Monteros as our next vehicle.

Monteros didn't enjoy the success in the States that they did elsewhere, so I joined this forum to find out more.

Hopefully I'll be able to find the right model here for me and the family and be able to hit the road soon enough.

Here are a few photos of past trips through our beautiful Southwest.

Moki Dugway:

Bryce Canyon:
  • Bundyk
    Valued Member
    • Jan 2012
    • North Nowra

G'Day Fergie, and welcome to the forum mate. A Pajero (Montero) is a great choice, a far more comfortable vehicle than the offerings from the competition, with its independant suspension and monocoque chassis (Later models). They are very capable and have plenty of space.

Good luck with the purchase mate. Just remember to look for a good service history. If you find one and want to know what you need to look for before you buy, make sure you ask. Everyone here is only too happy to help.

Great pics too mate, you guys have some truly beautiful country over there.
    Cheers, Bundy.

Currently: 2001 NM GLS MY2002 3.5 V6 Manual, Bullbar, GME TX3520, Falken Wildpeak A/T02 LT265/70/16, Pacemaker extractors, KYB Skorched 4's, Villain Lighting 22" lightbar, Bushskinz Front and sump guard, Pioneer 7" screen

Items to be fitted: ARB 2.5 x 2.1 awning.

Items to be purchased: Bushskinz- Gearbox/Transfer plates and sliders, Roof racks, Safari Snorkel, Lifted Springs, maybe more...

Comment

• GHendo
      Valued Member
      • Mar 2012
      • Northern NSW

Hi Fergie

As Bundy said, the Pajero is a great vehicle but then there wouldn't be too many on here who would disagree.

Love the pics and you will find if you ask questions about any new vehicle you are contemplating purchasing, you will get good answers on this forum.

Cheers

Geoff
      03 NP Manual Di-D Exceed, 2" lift, Dobinsons Springs, Lovells Shocks, ORU Winch, ARB Bullbar, Scott's Rods 3" Exhaust, ARB Compressor, Rear Air Locker, Cooper S/T Maxx, Hella Rallye 4000 S/Lights, Pioneer AVH-X5850BT DVD/Tuner w/- Reversing Camera, Sensa Tyre monitor, Uniden UH8080NB UHF, Rhino Platform Roof Rack, Hema HN-7 GPS, Engine Watchdog, CouplerTec, CTEK D250S DC-DC Charger, Snorkel, Towbar.

Comment

• Fergie
        • Jan 2013

Thanks for the warm welcome.

We've currently got a Pathfinder and a Cherokee, and while the Pathy is great for us, the Cherokee is a wee bit small for our cmaping gear and kiddos.

We had an 80 series Landcruiser for a while, and it was the right size, but woefully underpowered with the 3FE petrol engine. I figure the Montero is the right combo of on-road manners, off-road capability, with the right size and power combo to suit us.

I looked at a 2002 Limited the other day, but it was a bit clapped out, so the search is on in earnest.

Comment

• hinsch
          Valued Member
          • Jan 2010
          • Perth

Fergie
          Welcome to the Paj forum great looking country there
          NX 2016 GLS, Graphite, Nudge Bar, Pirelli Scorpion Plus.

Comment

• MTN-KAT
            Valued Member
            • Jun 2009
            • Gold Coast

Hi Fergie, Wife and I spent a couple of days in Arizona in early Nov 2006. Moteled in Flagstaff, drove down Oak Canyon and around Sedona on a beautiful sunny day and the eye candy was everywhere. Simply stunning colors. On way back to Flagstaff we got pelted with rain. Woke up to a clear morning with thick ice on the water puddles and snow on Mt Humphries so we drove up to see it before having to move on. We could live there. Oh, a wee bit small you said. Any scottish blood in ya? Welcome to the forum. Good luck finding a nice Pajero er Montero. They are a grrreat SUV. Cheers.
            99 NL Escape 3.5L V6 LWB Wagon, "Aisin Auto", MM Alum Protector Bar, MM factory 'steel' underbody protector plates, Engine oil cooler, Transmission oil cooler, Side rails, Flares, MM Alloy wheels, HANKOOK Dynapro ATM LT tyres, Aftermarket Alarm, MM A.I.S. HPR15 Penrite engine oil. Penrite LS140 diff oil with 250ml LIMSLIP additive 7098.

Comment

• Jords
              Valued Member
              • Jun 2011
              • Kellyville Ridge

Yeh its a pity they didn't kick on in the States. Makes getting parts for later models harder and more expensive :-) welcome to the forum anyway hope you enjoy our humor
              2007 NS VRX Cool Siver, Mitsu Alloy BB with spotties, MM towbar, Family Pack, ARB Awning, Duel battery with Optima yellow top starter, Bushskinz intercooler and sump combo, 2" lift with Bilstein shocks and HD Lovels, Ultragauge (Sold 2014)

Comment

• Fergie
                • Jan 2013

Originally posted by MTN-KAT View Post
                Hi Fergie, Wife and I spent a couple of days in Arizona in early Nov 2006. Moteled in Flagstaff, drove down Oak Canyon and around Sedona on a beautiful sunny day and the eye candy was everywhere. Simply stunning colors. On way back to Flagstaff we got pelted with rain. Woke up to a clear morning with thick ice on the water puddles and snow on Mt Humphries so we drove up to see it before having to move on. We could live there. Oh, a wee bit small you said. Any scottish blood in ya? Welcome to the forum. Good luck finding a nice Pajero er Montero. They are a grrreat SUV. Cheers.
                Flagstaff is my home for the past 30 years, and Sedona is where the wife and I were married!

Fergie is short for Ferguson; Gavin is my first name.

And while most folks, even within the States, think that AZ is all desert and cactus, this is what we had yesterday evening:

We're at 7000' with all sorts of different weather. All that snow in the pic is now a nice sheen of ice on the roads....great for shuttling the kids to school!

Have a good day all.

Comment

• MTN-KAT
                  Valued Member
                  • Jun 2009
                  • Gold Coast

Originally posted by Fergie View Post
                  Flagstaff is my home for the past 30 years, and Sedona is where the wife and I were married!

Fergie is short for Ferguson; Gavin is my first name.

And while most folks, even within the States, think that AZ is all desert and cactus, this is what we had yesterday evening:

We're at 7000' with all sorts of different weather. All that snow in the pic is now a nice sheen of ice on the roads....great for shuttling the kids to school!

Have a good day all.
                  Well, isn't that interesting. And Ferguson has to have scot heritage. My Dad is a scot. Thanks for reply and great photo/s. Looks fabulous. I am sure your correct in saying most folk think AZ is all desert cos when we left OK on our road trip to LAX and found Sedona, we rang our friends in OK which is not all that far away to rave about the beauty of Sedona and they knew nothing of it! Crickey, it's close enough to OK for a weekend trip!! An ex New Yorker living in OK told us that OK is America's best kept secret. We think AZ tops it.
                  Real nice to make your acquaintance Gavin.
                  99 NL Escape 3.5L V6 LWB Wagon, "Aisin Auto", MM Alum Protector Bar, MM factory 'steel' underbody protector plates, Engine oil cooler, Transmission oil cooler, Side rails, Flares, MM Alloy wheels, HANKOOK Dynapro ATM LT tyres, Aftermarket Alarm, MM A.I.S. HPR15 Penrite engine oil. Penrite LS140 diff oil with 250ml LIMSLIP additive 7098.

Comment

• Fergie
                    • Jan 2013

Well, we found a nice 2001 this weekend and brought it home.

One owner, great maintenance history, including timing belt and water pump recently, and about 100k miles.

Comment

• MTN-KAT
                      Valued Member
                      • Jun 2009
                      • Gold Coast

Hi Fergie and fam, congrats on a great looking example of the Triple Diamond. That would be an NM series with the 3.5L V6 petrol engine. 100,000K !!! That's only 60,000 miles in the old money. Equates to less than 10,000K per year. What a find. None left like that in Aus. Well my NL (series before yours) with same motor, is not as pretty and has 209,000K but still a delight to drive. Wishing you many miles of happy motoring.

Comment

• Nik
                        Valued Member
                        • Sep 2010
                        • Perth

She looks like a beauty! Excellent choice of colour as well
                        2005 NP Platinum 3.2 DID Auto, Lovells HD springs, Bilstein shocks, Firestone Airbags, ARB bar, Warn XD 9000 winch, IPF 900 Xtreme Sport lights, Bushskinz intercooler & sump guards, Outback Accessories rock sliders, GME 3200 UHF, CTEK Dc to Dc Dual Battery system, 265/75/16 General Grabber AT2 tyres, Torque Converter lock-up kit, Safari snorkel, Taipan high performance exhaust, LRA 66lt long range fuel tank.

Comment

• Fergie
                          • Jan 2013

Thanks all!

I just put some 235/85/16 BFG ATs on a few days ago, and am chasing down a flashing CDL light on the dash.

Other than that, great vehicle and cannot wait to take the family to tour through our NF.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X