• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alex Sallery
    • Feb 2020
    • Perth

Newbie here [emoji1365]

In the process of buying a PS Exceed or GLS (2016-18), New to 4WDing but the wife wants to start going camping and exploring. Originally we were going to buy a Forester but we just don’t want to find ourselves in a situation where an AWD won’t be capable, which brings us to the PS. Still deciding between models but what would be your guys’ advice for a total novice about 4WD’s?

The PS looks awesome and well priced and come pretty highly recommended, it just looks so damn big [emoji23] would there be any disadvantage of it being so big when off road? Obviously the bigger the car the heavier it is, would that be a detriment to its off-roading ? Still keeping an eye on a Ford Everest too, is there anything that would steer you from that as I do love the PS

Thanks for your patience with this newbie [emoji1365]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • KPJero
    • May 2019
    • QLD

Hey Alex, welcome aboard.

I had a Forester as well but when I went camping with mates who had 4x4s, I'd have to leave the subbie behind and sit in their 4x4. I Know some people said the subbie is capable on sand but I just wasn't confident with it. Mainly the approaches in and out for beach access had me concerned as the subbie has bugger all clearance. So I researched and debated between a Prado and Pajero. I'm very happy with my Pajero and I couldn't justify another 15k for the Toyota tax with more kms. Anyways, that was a ramble and I forget when I'm here.

Comment

• Alex Sallery
      • Feb 2020
      • Perth

You just made my day! Thanks for your real world info, exactly what I needed !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• bennyb29
        Valued Member
        • Nov 2015
        • Brisbane

Originally posted by Alex Sallery View Post
        The PS looks awesome and well priced and come pretty highly recommended, it just looks so damn big [emoji23] would there be any disadvantage of it being so big when off road? Obviously the bigger the car the heavier it is, would that be a detriment to its off-roading ? Still keeping an eye on a Ford Everest too, is there anything that would steer you from that as I do love the PS
        Welcome to the forum, Alex.

With regards to your question, the major factors that come into mind when it comes to off-roading, IMHO - Weight, ground clearance and low range.

Low weight and dimensions are what helps nimble off roaders like the Jimny and others to tackle terrains. However, when ground clearance becomes an issue, these could end up struggling. Larger, heavier off roaders have more mechanical and electronic skills to help them tackle such situations and added clearance too.
        Mitsubishi Pajero NT Platinum 2010

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
        Working...
        X