• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Talisker
    • Mar 2019
    • Victoria

4M41 chain guide need doing?

I have a question I had my tappets adjusted 5k km ago at around 90k km. I just read that you should have the top guide changed ( not checked but changed as they fall apart ?) now I cant find anything to say whether they changed the guide they diudnt tell me they did and there is no parts cost for it, the job was done at a Mitsu dealer who was refferred to me as having an excellent reputation.

Now I think I should get this guide changed to be certain its been done, what do others think?
  • Talisker
    • Mar 2019
    • Victoria

Sorry it may be obvious but i notice i never said this is about the timing chain guide apologies.

Comment

• Sirius
      • Jan 2020
      • Mandurah

Hi mate, mine is a 2013 and the guide got changed under a recall. Might be worth chasing up whether yours got done.

Comment

• Talisker
        • Mar 2019
        • Victoria

Mine is a 2014 an I checked on the Mitsu site on my vin and the only recalls which have been completed were for the airbags. I will have to have a chat to the dealer if it hasnt been done I aint going to pay them again and it seems straight forward enough to complete so may just have to do it myself still if they didnt change it when they did the valves or they dont know it will be annoying

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
          Valued Member
          • Aug 2016
          • Greater Sydney

No need to change the guide. Chain guide was sorted from the NS on.

The recall was for the chain tensioner.

Comment

• Sirius
            • Jan 2020
            • Mandurah

The recall was for the chain tensioner.[/QUOTE]

100% correct. Sorry my memory is foggy at the best of times.

Comment

• Jasonmc73
              Valued Member
              • Jun 2019
              • Brisbane

Originally posted by Talisker View Post
              I have a question I had my tappets adjusted 5k km ago at around 90k km. I just read that you should have the top guide changed ( not checked but changed as they fall apart ?) now I cant find anything to say whether they changed the guide they diudnt tell me they did and there is no parts cost for it, the job was done at a Mitsu dealer who was refferred to me as having an excellent reputation.

Now I think I should get this guide changed to be certain its been done, what do others think?
              Pajero mechanic all he works on, advised me 200,000k's change the guide 4M41 engine & check at every valve setting.

I also believe you can see it through the oil cap

how to replace the common failing upper timing chain guide in a Mitsubishi shogun 3.2 did, here is the link to the guide used https://ebay.us/Z49mytAnd also ...
              Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

• Talisker
                • Mar 2019
                • Victoria

Thks Jasonmc73 I am going to try an have a chat with the Mitsu delaer did the valve adjustment I will report back here on what they say. Many Thanks

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
                  Valued Member
                  • Aug 2016
                  • Greater Sydney

Originally posted by Jasonmc73 View Post
                  Pajero mechanic all he works on, advised me 200,000k's change the guide 4M41 engine & check at every valve setting.

I also believe you can see it through the oil cap

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlU5EsYs9-0

This is not a shot at you mate. You are just the messenger.

I/we have been posting here 3 1/2 years and reading the board a few years longer. In that time I can't recall a chain guide needing to be replaced from the NS on. Yes the NM NP were notorious for it before MM came up with a replacement guide which I believe is still in use today.

Any mechanic that tells you the guide needs to be replaced every 200,000k and check at every value setting is one i would not be going to.

There are many CRD on here with well over 200,000k with the original guide. Ours has over 330,000k. Some have a lot more.

Unfortunately there are 'mechanics' and mechanics.

The greatest purveyor of in this world is the internet.

Comment

• Patagonia
                    Valued Member
                    • Dec 2009
                    • Santiago, Chile!!!!!

Originally posted by BruceandBobbi View Post
                    No need to change the guide. Chain guide was sorted from the NS on.

The recall was for the chain tensioner.
                    This is what I remember also.

Anyways, you can take a look at the tensioner through the oil cap, using a drntist mirror or similar.
                    2000 SWB NL 3.5 SOHC V6 AT.
                    Adjustable suspension, Rear Locker, Suspension Seats, Cruise Control, 8500 Lbs winch, all factory fitted.
                    31x10.5R15 Pirelli ATR?s and forever thinking on the lift.
                    2009 SWB NS 3.2 DOHC DID AT 265/70/17 BFG AT/KO, OME SD Springs +4 Rear locker, 8.500 Lbs Winch...new toy!!!

Comment

• Keithyv
                      Valued Member
                      • May 2018
                      • Perth

There was a recall for tensioners right up until early NWs but nothing for guides for later models.
                      Mine is just too new to miss out.

2014 NW MY14 3.2 DID GLX-R Auto. Champagne in colour!
                      MM Lockup mate. King KCRS-35 rear springs. Monroe Gas Magnum TDT rear shocks. 3M color stable tint all round. Spare wheel lift kit. 'Dynamat' in all doors and rear cargo area. Pioneer AVH-Z5150BT Head Unit. Upgraded Speakers. Rear (2nd row) USB outlet. Factory nudge bar with LED light bar. Provent catch can. LED interior lights. Rear cargo area twin Andersons and Merit socket. Anderson plug in rear bumper. 6 channel TPMS.

Comment

• Jasonmc73
                        Valued Member
                        • Jun 2019
                        • Brisbane

This is not a shot at you mate. You are just the messenger.

I/we have been posting here 3 1/2 years and reading the board a few years longer. In that time I can't recall a chain guide needing to be replaced from the NS on. Yes the NM NP were notorious for it before MM came up with a replacement guide which I believe is still in use today.

Any mechanic that tells you the guide needs to be replaced every 200,000k and check at every value setting is one i would not be going to.

There are many CRD on here with well over 200,000k with the original guide. Ours has over 330,000k. Some have a lot more.

Unfortunately there are 'mechanics' and mechanics.

The greatest purveyor of in this world is the internet.
                        Each to there own mate, cheers all good, everyone is different as always
                        Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

• Skinny03
                          • Jun 2019
                          • Christchurch, New Zealand

Hi Talisker,

I have a 2014 NW that just clicked over 100k. While cleaning the egr and intake manifold I took off the rocker cover and changed the chain guide. The original had virtually no wear and I was surprised considering the talk floating about. I would have been happy to leave it in for another 100=200k. From what I understand the earlier ones did wear, when they were upgraded im not sure.

I hope my two cents helps.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1567.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	985141

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1568.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	985142

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
                            Valued Member
                            • Aug 2016
                            • Greater Sydney

I can't believe this furphy is still going around but I guess that's the internet and mechanics that have no idea.

As above original top chain guide was a problem on NP and NM and replaced free. It has never been a problem from NS on.

Comment

• GHendo
                              Valued Member
                              • Mar 2012
                              • Northern NSW

… original top chain guide was a problem on NP and NM and replaced free. It has never been a problem from NS on.
                              I don’t know about them being ‘replaced free’. Mine never had a recall for it and the dealer never mentioned anything about it. I replaced mine myself after seeing it mentioned on the forum. When I pulled it out the old one fell apart in my hand. The new ones look a bit different so I presume they are an improved design. I noticed that MM now have upped the price of a new guide from around $20 (when I replaced mine) to something like $70.

Geoff
                              03 NP Manual Di-D Exceed, 2" lift, Dobinsons Springs, Lovells Shocks, ORU Winch, ARB Bullbar, Scott's Rods 3" Exhaust, ARB Compressor, Rear Air Locker, Cooper S/T Maxx, Hella Rallye 4000 S/Lights, Pioneer AVH-X5850BT DVD/Tuner w/- Reversing Camera, Sensa Tyre monitor, Uniden UH8080NB UHF, Rhino Platform Roof Rack, Hema HN-7 GPS, Engine Watchdog, CouplerTec, CTEK D250S DC-DC Charger, Snorkel, Towbar.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X