• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • QldGary
    • Dec 2017
    • Sunshine Coast

NP 3.8L petrol -humidity and rough idle

My NP (Nov 2003) 3.8L V6 runs well until the humidity and moisture are up.
    Most years around January in Australia when the humidity has been high for a few days and there has been a lot of rain my NP develops a serious fault that prevents me from driving it.

I stopped at a shop on my way home from work and when I came out and strted the car, it was difficult to start and when it finally did it idled rough and low and stalled when I put it in drive (auto).

I finally managed to raise the revs slightly high enough to put it in drive without stalling and limped home. Getting it up my driveway took about 6 goes due to stalling. The check engine indicator lamp and ASCS lamp was on as well as the ASCS off lamp too.

I started it after sitting overnight and its a litle better but still idling roughly and wavering between 1100 rpm and about 500rpm. Now just the check engine indicator light is on all the time.

All fluids are ok and no overheating. 178K on the odom.

Has anyone else had a similar problem? Any advice appreciated.

Gary
  • JABO
    • Jan 2013
    • South Africa

Maybe MAF sensor needs to be cleaned or replaced.

There are lots of info and videos of you search the web.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Comment

• Having Fun
      • Jun 2015
      • Adelaide

Originally posted by QldGary View Post
      My NP (Nov 2003) 3.8L V6 runs well until the humidity and moisture are up.
      Most years around January in Australia when the humidity has been high for a few days and there has been a lot of rain my NP develops a serious fault that prevents me from driving it.

I stopped at a shop on my way home from work and when I came out and strted the car, it was difficult to start and when it finally did it idled rough and low and stalled when I put it in drive (auto).

I finally managed to raise the revs slightly high enough to put it in drive without stalling and limped home. Getting it up my driveway took about 6 goes due to stalling. The check engine indicator lamp and ASCS lamp was on as well as the ASCS off lamp too.

I started it after sitting overnight and its a litle better but still idling roughly and wavering between 1100 rpm and about 500rpm. Now just the check engine indicator light is on all the time.

All fluids are ok and no overheating. 178K on the odom.

Has anyone else had a similar problem? Any advice appreciated.

Gary

Hi Gary, have you checked for codes via the OBD2 port? If so, which codes is it showing.

Comment

• QldGary
        • Dec 2017
        • Sunshine Coast

Hi Having fun,
        No I havent checked the codes on the OBD2 port and Ill need to find out how I can do that.
        I tried starting it again this morning and it turns over but wont start. Battery is full charge and 12.9V and is quite new.
        Thank you for your reply. When I know the code/s I'll reply.
        Regards,
        Gary

Comment

• disco stu
          Valued Member
          • Dec 2018
          • Wollongong

This link is for the gen 2 obd codes, but I saw that the same process worked on gen 3

Comment

• ozopaj
            • Jul 2010
            • Over the hill from goodna

Hi Gary

How did you go?
            Had same issue with my Pajero awhile back while on Fraser I sprayed ever connection on the car at the time. I never sorted it. Sold the car. You may have it.
            But very curious.
            Darren

Comment

• RustyStainless
              • Oct 2010
              • Brisbane

Hi, got exactly this issue, what was wrong?

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
              Working...
              X