• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick-o-larse
    • May 2019
    • South Coast NSW

Looking at a NS petrol

Hey people.

Hope everyone is safe with the fires that are happening!

I'm hopefully looking at a NS v6 pajero vrx tomorrow and was wondering if there is anything in particular that I should look out for?

Upgrading from a diesel pj ranger so expecting a much better, more comfortable drive, more power?

I haven't seen much online about issues with these but could be searching the wrong things!

Thanks
    Nick

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
    NS VR-X V6 3.8L
  • geopaj
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2007
    • Adelaide

I’d expect the V6 Paj to have more power (but probably less torque??), be more comfortable and roomier in the back, but have much worse fuel economy - especially when towing and 4wding.
    Silver NT VRX Di-D

ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz & Boo’s guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | Cooper AT3 LT's | dual battery | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')

Comment

• erad
      Valued Member
      • Mar 2015
      • Cooma NSW

For sure the petrol vehicle will use more fuel. It all depends on how many km you will do and the type of driving eg towing, city usage off-road etc. You can probably expect to get 600 km from a tankful of petrol compared to nearer 1000 km with a diesel Pajero (depending on the model and driving mode). The petrol engine is a good one - smooth, good power, quiet. Servicing costs a lot less than the equivalent diesel model.

Things to look for - they require a timing belt replacement every 100000 km or 5 years whichever comes first. Exhaust manifolds tend to crack. Spark plugs and HT leads require replacement every 100000 km as well. Other than that, they are a good vehicle.

Comment

• spot01
        Valued Member
        • Apr 2011
        • Adelaide

Some NTs had a rust issue at the top of the door frames where the seal is - unsure if NS was the same, but check under seals & where the seal retaining channel joins to the window frame, just to be safe.

The auto needs clean fluid of the correct spec (not cheap), so budget for this unless done recently.

Check the 4WD system works properly in all 4 settings (make sure the lights stop flashing) plus all the usual checks that everything works & service history, etc. Have a look underneath to see what sort of use it has had.
        Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• Ian Sharpe
          Valued Member
          • Nov 2000
          • Tasmania

You’ll be disappointed with the amount of fuel the NS will use, especially after having a diesel. My NS shorty has to be the biggest guzzler Ive had since my hq v8 statesman days ! Get a diesel nt would be my advice.
          NS shorty 3.8l petrol with winch, front/rear E-lockers
          NT shorty 3.2l tdi, pretty stock with rear locker

Comment

• Nick-o-larse
            • May 2019
            • South Coast NSW

Cheers all, looking at it tomorrow now before we head back to batemans bay.

It's a manual which I'm pretty happy about and I know it will drink more fuel but the price of the diesels are just out of my budget and not around.

I'll definitely look for rust as the previous car had a bit but been told it's rust free.

I'll go through all of the paperwork and do all the checks.

Thanks

NS VR-X V6 3.8L

Comment

• pneumatic
              • Oct 2019
              • Camp Mountain

I bought a 2006 NS Exceed petrol late last year. The stock exhaust manifolds are cracked, it was throwing a P0431 error code because of this. A set of wildcat headers for a bit over $800 has fixed this. It had valve cover oil leaks, I fixed those with new gaskets and new spark plugs while I was at it.

Fuel economy is weird. It doesn't like heavy acceleration or idling at lights, more so than other cars. If you can avoid those things it isn't that bad. On the highway it is 11-12L/100km. Around town without too much traffic 14-15L/100km. Short trips, heavy acceleration or lots of idling will see it skyrocket. It needs 95 or above octane fuel.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Comment

• Nab
                Valued Member
                • Mar 2012
                • Perth

Pneumatic’s fuel consumption is great, I don’t think it is the norm though!!! If you lift it, bigger tyres, roof rack etc you will be lucky to see under 18L/100km in normal suburban traffic. But you will have lots of nice smooth power at your fingertips!!!!
                SOLD 2004 NP 3.2 auto
                NOW 2014 Ranger XLT auto

Comment

• benckj
                  Valued Member
                  • Oct 2017
                  • Alexandra , New Zealand

I’ve had a 2006 NS for 6 years with almost no issues at all. Like others have stated fuel economy is the biggest drawback especially during short town runs. Power and trans operate well but you need to get on top of maintenance if PO has neglected. Unlike the diesel it won’t break the bank especially if you do own labour. Rockauto has discounted parts and using Penrite fluids is way to cut costs.

Comment

• Nick-o-larse
                    • May 2019
                    • South Coast NSW

I'll make sure I'll check everything as thoroughly as I can, I'm no mechanical but I know the basics just just read up some more.

I previously had a ranger which until after I bought it I found faults (standard). But spending this sort of money is a big deal to me so I need to be anal.

I'll work with the fuel (if I get it) and see what would be the best way to drive.. I work 8ks from my house and traffic is never really an issue that will be my main drive during the week.

Nice one!

NS VR-X V6 3.8L

Comment

• Nathan1000
                      • Jul 2019
                      • Auckland New Zealand

Have had a 2006 NS 3.8 super exceed for 6 months. 110km

Overall, love it. Check:
                      - timing belt / water pump etc - $1000+
                      - vibration at 2100 rpm - just annoying but can be mostly sorted with new mounts and the 'dynamic dampener' removed. Just rev in neutral - you'll feel it if its there

- auto trans fluid - oh you said manual, the real deal mitsi S3 or whatever its called makes a big difference to smooth gear changes - good 'forward flush' instructions on here. I thought reasonably priced from dealer

- rust in top of rear doors - mine was just starting to show - took doors off, turned them upside down and drowned in fish oil
                      - spark plugs are awkward to change but good instructions on here
                      - a good crawl underneath for rust
                      - If rockford fosgate sound system with original MMCS stereo it is an expensive change over along with reversing camera

Petrol - just get over it, deisels are overpriced, noisy and smelly. Petrol is quiet and smooth.

Good luck

Comment

• Nick-o-larse
                        • May 2019
                        • South Coast NSW

Got it! Love it.

133000kms on it drives great apart from road noise which I reckon is to with the tyres... which are all fairly new.

Alpine hu has been put in by a shop and has all the steering wheel buttons working.

No rust on the body, underneath is pretty tidy with a few escapes and tiny bits of rust which being near the coast is pretty standard I guess.

The only downfall is that when I asked about the timing belt the guy said isn't it at 160000ks which I know it's not so will need to be done asap! He's had it for 6 years and he done the oil changes so there's no paperwork just dated and signed in the book.

I got it for a good price so was happy to take it knowing that I need to do the timing belt.

Cheers for your help.. I'll be looking at what goodies I can put on it soon!
                        Nick

NS VR-X V6 3.8L

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
                          Valued Member
                          • Aug 2016
                          • Greater Sydney

Looks rael tidy.

The disc in the wheel photo looks it has lines around it.

Comment

• Nick-o-larse
                            • May 2019
                            • South Coast NSW

Originally posted by BruceandBobbi View Post
                            Looks rael tidy.

The disc in the wheel photo looks it has lines around it.
                            I haven't had a chance to have a good look at it yet since being back.. will check the discs tho.

NS VR-X V6 3.8L

Comment

• Nick-o-larse
                              • May 2019
                              • South Coast NSW

Got a quote from my garage to do the timing belt and water pump etc. $929.00. Seems pretty fair compared to what I have read!

NS VR-X V6 3.8L

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X